Missing subwoofer adjustment control

If you've mentioned it previously then I apologise for not having noticed, but is this to rectify the missing sub control on an ***-equipped car or a B&O one?

I hope it's the former rather than the latter, because if it is, there might be a light at the end of the tunnel that isn't a train coming the other way.

It’s a b&o system ! fingers crossed expecting a call today :icon thumright:

:icon thumright:EFinally I have my subwoofer settings dial on mmi
05600A90 DA77 4907 8CD1 A27AF25596F1

Reactions: NevMan
Phutters

Did you ever make any progress with your problem because I have exactly the same on my Sept 2016 Facelift Sportback . I would dearly like to get it fixed before the warranty expires.

Mike

Phutters

Did you ever make any progress with your problem because I have exactly the same on my Sept 2016 Facelift Sportback...
No Mike, I'm afraid I haven't, though the steadily growing number of people with B&O-equipped cars on here who've had it corrected while the likes of yours and mine remain stubbornly ignored is beginning to niggle again.

I’ve only had my car for 2 weeks and I will have to go into the local dealer when the V5 arrives to register the change of ownership and get the warranties transferred. I will raise the sub woofer issue with the service department and see what they say. There seems plenty of evidence now that there is a software/firmware issue that needs fixing. If enough people raise the issue, particularly now that it’s being dealt with on B&O systems, it might just spur Audi into doing something. I’m not a fan of loud music in the car, it’s just that I like things to work as they should.

Mike

Reactions: Phutters
I’ve only had my car for 2 weeks and I will have to go into the local dealer when the V5 arrives to register the change of ownership and get the warranties transferred. I will raise the sub woofer issue with the service department and see what they say. There seems plenty of evidence now that there is a software/firmware issue that needs fixing. If enough people raise the issue, particularly now that it’s being dealt with on B&O systems, it might just spur Audi into doing something. I’m not a fan of loud music in the car, it’s just that I like things to work as they should.

Mike
For what it's worth, I just spent twenty minutes going through all this - again - with Audi UK.

I've been promised a call back within 48 hours - again - which will probably get me no further forward.

Again.

I've told them - again - about the explicit description of this feature in the manual, my previous dealership visit to sort this out, my long conversations with other dealerships (including Sunderland) who have successfully carried out the B&O update and that this seems to be an omission affecting a relatively limited build batch in that the problem wasn't there on pre-facelift cars and has been rectified since.

I was listened to very patiently, though there was one slightly ominous sentence when the bloke at Audi said 'or that the factory don't intend to do anything about it because of the limited number of affected vehicles'.

Which is no comfort at all if you happen to have one of the affected vehicles.

If you get anywhere yourself when you go in, please let us know.

Just a head's up... the software update can give problems as I had highlighted in an other post. The service technician at my local dealership tried several times to install the update and every time the software got corrupted leading to a loss in the telephone module. Ultimately after exhausting all possible ways to fix it, Audi agreed to replace the whole MMI. The car was in their garage around 2-3 times for a couple of days every time. I was lucky that I was travelling frequently and thus had the car at their garage for the updates and did not need a courtesy car. Once the update is applied the sub-woofer settings are enabled.

Just a head's up... the software update can give problems as I had highlighted in an other post. The service technician at my local dealership tried several times to install the update and every time the software got corrupted leading to a loss in the telephone module. Ultimately after exhausting all possible ways to fix it, Audi agreed to replace the whole MMI. The car was in their garage around 2-3 times for a couple of days every time. I was lucky that I was travelling frequently and thus had the car at their garage for the updates and did not need a courtesy car. Once the update is applied the sub-woofer settings are enabled.
B&O or ***?

It turns out that I should have kept the lid on my pot of scepticism for a bit longer.

I had a call back from a very helpful chap at Audi UK within an hour and a half of me calling them who said that he was going to try to get to the bottom of it himself, and that trying to get to the bottom of it would involve telephone conversations with the Head Boffin in the MMI department.

He did confirm what we already know in that there is - as yet - no similar update to the one being applied to B&O-equipped cars, although he did go on to say that getting the subwoofer control back on those cars was one of the results of an update which wasn't specifically intended to do that; rather that it was intended to correct other issues like tone controls defaulting back to flat when the car was turned off.

He also said that if it turns out that the factory has no intention of producing a firmware update expressly for the purpose of recovering the *** subwoofer control, for whatever reason, he would investigate the possibility of a workaround to resolve it without that factory update.

As he said himself, this remains conjecture until he's established exactly what's going on.

I did finish the call feeling slightly more encouraged (or slightly less fed up) than before because:

a) he said he was intrigued by why this had happened, and

b) because he made a point of calling me much earlier than the standard 48 hour response.

We'll see.

There's still plenty of time for it all to come to nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: oli356
Phutters

That is very encouraging. Your tenacity may well pay off and many of us will benefit.

Please keep us updated.

Mikeso51

Phutters

That is very encouraging. Your tenacity may well pay off and many of us will benefit.

Please keep us updated.

Mikeso51
There's one other thing from yesterday that I forgot to mention. The person at Audi who fielded my first call said that in situations like this, a case is escalated - moved on to the next stage, or whatever - if they receive at least three separate reports of the same problem.

Given that there are more - far more - people affected by this than just you and me, I'm surprised to hear that apparently nobody else has rung Audi about it.

Now I simply don't know whether this is a classic case of the pothole scenario or not; in other words, everybody bitches about a pothole but doesn't do anything about it because they assume that someone else will, the consequence of which is that nobody does anything about it.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that you're one of these people, but what would definitely help is if you are able to call customer services and tell them about your car yourself.

They're either fibbing about not having any other reports - and to accuse them of that without any evidence would clearly be silly - or it really is the case that nobody else has called it in.

I was also under the impression that if a car goes into a dealership to have an issue like this investigated and there is no satisfactory outcome then it is automatically escalated internally. My car went in to the local dealership for investigation, and I was told (as were others on here) that there was no solution available.

Is there a disconnect here?

There certainly seems to be. Audi UK say they have no other reports of this damned *** subwoofer problem, yet several people here say they've been in to their local franchise with the same issue only to have been told that it can't be fixed.

And rather than it being escalated internally, the line has been drawn under it there and then and they've been politely shown the door, as I was.

If anyone else with an affected car (***, no subwoofer adjustment in the MMI) has the time to call Audi UK, please do it if you can.

It can only help.

Last edited:
Reactions: RK10
There's one other thing from yesterday that I forgot to mention. The person at Audi who fielded my first call said that in situations like this, a case is escalated - moved on to the next stage, or whatever - if they receive at least three separate reports of the same problem.

Given that there are more - far more - people affected by this than just you and me, I'm surprised to hear that apparently nobody else has rung Audi about it.

Now I simply don't know whether this is a classic case of the pothole scenario or not; in other words, everybody bitches about a pothole but doesn't do anything about it because they assume that someone else will, the consequence of which is that nobody does anything about it.

I'm not suggesting for one moment that you're one of these people, but what would definitely help is if you are able to call customer services and tell them about your car yourself.

They're either fibbing about not having any other reports - and to accuse them of that without any evidence would clearly be silly - or it really is the case that nobody else has called it in.

I was also under the impression that if a car goes into a dealership to have an issue like this investigated and there is no satisfactory outcome then it is automatically escalated internally. My car went in to the local dealership for investigation, and I was told (as were others on here) that there was no solution available.

Is there a disconnect here?

There certainly seems to be. Audi UK say they have no other reports of this damned *** subwoofer problem, yet several people here say they've been in to their local franchise with the same issue only to have been told that it can't be fixed.

And rather than it being escalated internally, the line has been drawn under it there and then and they've been politely shown the door, as I was.

If anyone else with an affected car (***, no subwoofer adjustment in the MMI) has the time to call Audi UK, please do it if you can.

It can only help.

Hi Phutters many thanks for your persistence, I will be registering this issue with Audi UK.

There's still plenty of time for it all to come to nothing.
Which it did, sadly.

I had two follow-up calls from the same helpful chap at Audi customer services, as promised, but he didn't have any good news.

According to Audi, my car - and others similarly equipped and built around the same time, give or take - have a version of the MMI firmware which there is no intention of providing an update for.

Period.

We've fallen through a crack, I'm afraid.

I'm going to throw the towel in at this point.

Notwithstanding the fact that the subwoofer control should be there - the manual says so, apart from anything else - I simply wouldn't be making enough use of it to justify spending any more time trying to get it. And although its absence will continue to niggle at me, life's too short.

That doesn't stop me thinking that it's a pretty poor show all round, but you win some and you lose some.

Irritating, but not the end of the world.

I've absolutely no reason to suspect that I was being fobbed off in my conversations with the bloke at Audi. None whatsoever. He and I talked about this for the best part of an hour over the course of the calls. He wouldn't have bothered with all that if he hadn't been trying as hard as he could to get to the bottom of it himself.

If someone else here is willing to take up the cudgels on behalf of the dozens - and there must be dozens and dozens - of other people in this situation, then that'd be great, and I wish you luck.

DJAlix did mention that he would try to fix this himself if he manages to access a donor car to experiment on, and I wish him luck too.

In the meantime I'm resigned to throwing away my Hardcore Rubble and Soil CDs (the ones with the bangin' bass, at least) and living on a diet of Desert Island Discs and Woman's Hour instead.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I visited my local Audi dealer for the first time this morning to register change of ownership for my new-to-me car (only just got the V5). I took the opportunity to raise the subject of the missing sub-woofer control. They were helpful, and immediately took the car away to check it out while I waited. When the service guy returned he agreed that there was no control, but thought that it was integrated with the bass control. He also muttered about my car having MMIB, a lower spec version, and the possibility of there being different versions of the Audi Sound System. When I pointed out the text in the manual he was baffled and disappeared to consult with others. On his return he reported group bafflement! He undertook to investigate further and get back to me. To my suprise I had an email 10 minutes ago. He now says that the MMI manual l have is not correct for my car and refers to an older system (certainly some of the pictures don’t exactly correspond with my displays). He has given me a part number for the “correct” manual but tantalisingly doesn’t say what information on the sub-woofer control it contains. I have asked for a copy, and will see where we go next. I expect I will be talking to Audi Uk very soon.....

He has given me a part number for the “correct” manual but tantalisingly doesn’t say what information on the sub-woofer control it contains. I have asked for a copy, and will see where we go next. I expect I will be talking to Audi Uk very soon.....
For what it's worth, my manual is 8V2012720AC, dated November 2016.

On page 310, it says, under Sound settings, 'You can adjust the sound and volume of the MMI individually. The settings depend on the equipment fitted in your vehicle'

Lower down in the same section under 'Subwoofer', it says, 'You can adjust the subwoofer by turning the rotary pushbutton'.

And that would suggest to me that if your vehicle has a subwoofer, you should be able to adjust its volume by turning the rotary pushbutton.

But then if I take my logical hat off and replace it with a cynical one, the second sentence of the bit in italics sounds rather like a caveat...

Which is what the chap I spoke to at Audi said when I asked him the hypothetical question: 'If I was really digging my heels in over this issue, what would you do about what it says in the manual?'

Good luck with it. Seriously.

Last edited:
Well Phutters, the chap at Audi Southampton responded very quickly and sent me a couple of pages from manual 8V2012720AA, which he says is the one I should have had. No mention of date. He refers to his copy as the on-line dealer copy. He’s offered to order one for me, but at a price of £40! The reference number is almost identical to yours apart from the final letter. My MMI literature is a booklet of 64 pages with the reference 151.566.3MS.20 dated 11.2014. My main handbook, of 322 pages, which doesn’t cover the MMI, is also dated 2014. The picture on the front, not surpringly in view of the date, is of a pre facelift car. I imagine that the two were combined and updated in 2016 to create the manual they, and possibly you, have.

The pages he’s sent, 272 and 273, make no mention of the sub-woofer, only covering bass, treble, fader etc. No pictures or drawings of the controls either. They also don’t mention the *** or B&O options. Is your manual the same, and has he failed to spot the page you refer to? Intriguingly on page 272 it mentions a “focus” function under “sound effects” which I don’t have. Do you have this, or is it another missing item?

The more I go into this the more confused I get, particularly now that I find my manuals are out of date and pre-date the introduction of the facelift model.

I know it's been a while, but I also wanted to chime in with the same issue as Larbel.

Retrofitted the MIB2 into my PFL S3 with out B&O.

No sub control anymore, audio just sounds meh at best.

Being an audio engineer, this is killing me

In case it wasn't shared on this thread, for those with B&O and with Nav (PR code 9VS), there is a bulletin to fix the missing sub control. It will require the service center to up the software via SD card to fix. PN: 4M0-906-961-BK

Reactions: Reggieboy71
Hi
I have just purchased a S3 cab with B&O also with no sub control (9VS) , unfortunatley i did not buy from an Audi dealership, could i get this done due to the bulletin issued at my local dealer Sytner?

Hi
I have just purchased a S3 cab with B&O also with no sub control (9VS) , unfortunatley i did not buy from an Audi dealership, could i get this done due to the bulletin issued at my local dealer Sytner?

All FL cars should be within the manufacturers warranty so unless someone else has hacked around with the sound system or MMI any dealer should provide you with the updates FOC.
My MMI/sound system received the updates in June - B&O Sub control restored and settings have stayed where I set them and not reset to zero since. This update has improved the sound system no end (to my ears anyway).
* button still sometimes cycles through drive select and sometimes it doesn't and I can't comment on telephone issues with the update as I don't use that.

This update has improved the sound system no end (to my ears anyway).
As one of the po' folks who couldn't quite stretch to a Bang & Olufsen, I'm going to have to rely on getting my ears improved instead.

I have to say that I'm less than enthusiastic about it; the ear improvement update requires an OBD connection, and as far as I'm concerned, a chap's OBD port is very much his own business.

Reactions: Matt Titanium
As one of the po' folks who couldn't quite stretch to a Bang & Olufsen, I'm going to have to rely on getting my ears improved instead.

I have to say that I'm less than enthusiastic about it; the ear improvement update requires an OBD connection, and as far as I'm concerned, a chap's OBD port is very much his own business.

A good squirt with one of these three might clear your tubes out (but don't let Mrs Phutters catch you).

s-l1600.jpg

* button still sometimes cycles through drive select and sometimes it doesn't

Not to change thread topics, but I have seen that there is a software update for this issue. Should fix the * button behavior on the steering wheel. Cheers.

would a 2016 s3 hatchback with b&o be affected by this?

I haven't taken delivery yet and have never checked the settings before..if i don't see the subwoofer control what do i do?

would a 2016 s3 hatchback with b&o be affected by this?

I haven't taken delivery yet and have never checked the settings before..if i don't see the subwoofer control what do i do?

If you are under warranty, the service center can preform a software flash that should bring the setting back. If not under warranty, they will charge you for the time to update and possibly for the SD card that is needed to perform the update.

Just a small note. Whilst the update will give you the sub, unfortunately the audio settings still reset every now and then. As MarttiMat rightly said, if you are still under warranty it is worth having this done free of charge. In my case they could not update the firmware properly as this was corrupting the handsfree functionality via the MMI. Ultimately they needed to change the MMI.

Reactions: MarttiMat
Hi fellas. Is there any update on issue? I have FL 2017 A3 with A/S/S and without subwoofer control. My version is 840, and I have a basic MMI without navi.

For what it's worth, my manual is 8V2012720AC, dated November 2016.

On page 310, it says, under Sound settings, 'You can adjust the sound and volume of the MMI individually. The settings depend on the equipment fitted in your vehicle'

Lower down in the same section under 'Subwoofer', it says, 'You can adjust the subwoofer by turning the rotary pushbutton'.

And that would suggest to me that if your vehicle has a subwoofer, you should be able to adjust its volume by turning the rotary pushbutton.

But then if I take my logical hat off and replace it with a cynical one, the second sentence of the bit in italics sounds rather like a caveat...

Which is what the chap I spoke to at Audi said when I asked him the hypothetical question: 'If I was really digging my heels in over this issue, what would you do about what it says in the manual?'

Good luck with it. Seriously.

Any feedback from Audi UK?

Regards,

Hi fellas. Is there any update on issue? I have FL 2017 A3 with A/S/S and without subwoofer control. My version is 840, and I have a basic MMI without navi.

Any feedback from Audi UK?

Regards,
Afraid not.

Having made no progress whatsoever, I threw the towel in some time ago. I realise it doesn't help you in the slightest, and for that I can only apologise.

I was brimming with grim determination and a dogged persistence to begin with, but that gradually evaporated over the weeks as each bright avenue of hope turned into a grey cul-de-sac of disappointment.

Something did come of it, though. Instead of spending interminable journeys with a scowl on my face, I rediscovered the long-forgotten art of whistling to pass the miles. Instead of a tuneless pucker, I reckon I'm now nearly as good at it as my granddad was.

And he was ace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martinbanshee
Spurred by Phutters dogged efforts to get something done, I tried for a while to make some headway with
Audi, but also got nowhere. Bottom line seems to be that Audi chose to drop the sub-woofer adjustment on *** when they introduced the facelift model, and amended the handbook accordingly. The unified Audi response now is that if it’s not explicitly in the handbook it’s not supported.

But feel free to try beating up Audi yourself. But don’t waste your time with dealers.

Before "end_thread" -command:

How about workaround? To add a separate amp between mmi and subwoofer? mmi---external amp---sub

Any how-to? -article? or step by step guide?

As far as I know you need to wire power from front to rear (How many ampers do you need for the amp to drive standard subwoofer?)

What kind of amp you should use? What else?

Hi fellas. I am sure that i ve seen some A/S/S FL vehicles with subwoofer control. What about extracting the firmware from these vehicles' units and updating the software on our vehicles to corresponding version. I am not quite sure it is possible but maybe @DJAlix can have some feedback. Or is it possible to download a specific software version from VAG servers via official dealer tools maybe?

Searched the forum hoping to come up with the answer but sadly not :sadlike:. My PFL (2014) A3 with Tech pack and Audi Sound System did have sub control in the MMI menu but has suddenly disappeared, no idea what happened to it. Obviously car is out of warranty now. Bit sad that Audi have taken no action to rectify the issue with a software update.

Hi fellas. I am sure that i ve seen some A/S/S FL vehicles with subwoofer control. What about extracting the firmware from these vehicles' units and updating the software on our vehicles to corresponding version. I am not quite sure it is possible but maybe @DJAlix can have some feedback. Or is it possible to download a specific software version from VAG servers via official dealer tools maybe?
Not possible to extract. No new software available to resolve this issue as yet.

Searched the forum hoping to come up with the answer but sadly not :sadlike:. My PFL (2014) A3 with Tech pack and Audi Sound System did have sub control in the MMI menu but has suddenly disappeared, no idea what happened to it. Obviously car is out of warranty now. Bit sad that Audi have taken no action to rectify the issue with a software update.
If your vehicle is PFL and your Sub control has disappeared I believe I can sort this for you if you can get to me in north London.

If your vehicle is PFL and your Sub control has disappeared I believe I can sort this for you if you can get to me in north London.

Thanks for the offer @DJAlix I don't get to travel very far due to work commitments. Was just hoping that it was something simple I could do, I do have VCDS but I don't think that can sort it.