1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing cover

DSad Oct 8, 2018

1. DSad

DSad New Member Team Glacier Team V6 Audi S4 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

FC49C4E4-1F3F-46AE-84F7-CDA32DDB1D60.jpeg Hi all,

Please can someone in the know help me out,

I seem to be missing a trim cover in my engine, I have no idea what it is?

Can someone identify it from my picture and perhaps help find a part number so that I may order a new cover.

Tia
    Dan.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group Audi S3 quattro Platinum Supporter S tronic Audi Main Dealer

4. creweaudiparts

creweaudiparts t.fox@creweaudi.co.uk Audi Main Dealer

@DSad just checked our showroom one and asked our techs and that how they come!

Thanks

Sandra and Thundercliffe81 like this.
  5. Thundercliffe81

Thundercliffe81 Well-Known Member Team V8 Team Sepang Audi RS4 Audi Avant Owner Group

Yup. My S4 came like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

As does mine and everyone's. There is a aftermarket carbon fibre cover that can be purchased but it is normal for the ECU not to have one.

Thundercliffe81 likes this.
  7. DSad

DSad New Member Team Glacier Team V6 Audi S4 Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I’m glad I’m not missing a part I just thought it looked a little unfinished so assumed it should be covered.

I’ll not lose sleep over it now!

Thundercliffe81 and cuke2u like this.
  8. Daggerit

Daggerit Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

Judging by the looks of it, it's uncovered so that it can dissipate heat. I've always wondered how warm it gets and if the carbon covers you can buy may actually cause issues with overheating? Don't know.

9. cuke2u

Daggerit likes this.
  10. f1nny

f1nny Active Member Team Tango Audi A4 Saloon S-line owners group Manual

The ECU casing is designed to act as a heat sink. That’s what them fins are the n the top.

11. pagenotfound

pagenotfound Active Member Team Moonlight TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S-line owners group

When I first saw mine I thought something was missing but came to the conclusion it was made that way by someone with no consideration for OCD sufferers. It can collect a fair bit of dust and grime so I just have to ignore it and keep the large cover on it that came with the car - the bonnet.

q5man, DSad and paul wev like this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. A12RNX

A12RNX Active Member TeamMisano Team V6 saloon Audi S4 Audi A6

I have the carbon ecu cover from ECS and not had any problems with over heating. I have done a trip which consisted of 5.5 hours of driving with lots of fast blasts on the A roads.

q5man, Daggerit and cuke2u like this.
  14. Filipão

Filipão Member Audi S4

Don't cover it. Too much heat inside engine bay already.

It does look pretty anyway ;-)

q5man, Daggerit and cuke2u like this.
  15. mjcairney

mjcairney New Member Team Moonlight TFSI Owners Group Audi A4 quattro Saloon S-line owners group S tronic

I agree, if it's not covered in the first place then leave well alone.

q5man likes this.
  16. Daggerit

Daggerit Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro

Good to know, but that's not the situation where I'd be worried to be honest. I'd be more concerned about it overheating when you're in stop start traffic or something where there's not much airflow for the engine bay. I doubt it would actually cause any issues, but I don't mind it sat there so I think I'll skip the nice shiny carbon on this occasion. :)

mjcairney and q5man like this.
  17. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

Agree, a pricey part of it does overheat/go wrong. As others have said designed like a heat sink on a pc cpu, you don’t see those with covers do you. Functional and not aesthetic design

mjcairney likes this.
  18. A12RNX

A12RNX Active Member TeamMisano Team V6 saloon Audi S4 Audi A6

I will get some digital thermostats and run some tests see how hot it does get with and without the cover. I completely understand what everyone is saying.

19. cuke2u

Thanks for going the extra mile. Information you provide will be of use to all...

Daggerit likes this.
  20. q5man

q5man Mythos Appreciator Team Mythos TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter quattro Audi Q5

Good shout, will probably be fine, but would imagine the ECU does get quite hot even more so where it is located

Daggerit likes this.