Missing cover

DSad

Reaction score
FC49C4E4 1F3F 46AE 84F7 CDA32DDB1D60
Hi all,

Please can someone in the know help me out,

I seem to be missing a trim cover in my engine, I have no idea what it is?

Can someone identify it from my picture and perhaps help find a part number so that I may order a new cover.

Tia
Dan.

As does mine and everyone's. There is a aftermarket carbon fibre cover that can be purchased but it is normal for the ECU not to have one.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I’m glad I’m not missing a part I just thought it looked a little unfinished so assumed it should be covered.

I’ll not lose sleep over it now!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and cuke2u
Judging by the looks of it, it's uncovered so that it can dissipate heat. I've always wondered how warm it gets and if the carbon covers you can buy may actually cause issues with overheating? Don't know.

Reactions: Ioan Furdui
The ECU casing is designed to act as a heat sink. That’s what them fins are the n the top.

When I first saw mine I thought something was missing but came to the conclusion it was made that way by someone with no consideration for OCD sufferers. It can collect a fair bit of dust and grime so I just have to ignore it and keep the large cover on it that came with the car - the bonnet.

Reactions: NevMan, DSad and paul wev
I have the carbon ecu cover from ECS and not had any problems with over heating. I have done a trip which consisted of 5.5 hours of driving with lots of fast blasts on the A roads.

Reactions: NevMan, Daggerit and cuke2u
Don't cover it. Too much heat inside engine bay already.

It does look pretty anyway ;-)

Reactions: NevMan, Daggerit and cuke2u
I have the carbon ecu cover from ECS and not had any problems with over heating. I have done a trip which consisted of 5.5 hours of driving with lots of fast blasts on the A roads.

Good to know, but that's not the situation where I'd be worried to be honest. I'd be more concerned about it overheating when you're in stop start traffic or something where there's not much airflow for the engine bay. I doubt it would actually cause any issues, but I don't mind it sat there so I think I'll skip the nice shiny carbon on this occasion. :)

Reactions: mjcairney and NevMan
Don't cover it. Too much heat inside engine bay already.

It does look pretty anyway ;-)

Agree, a pricey part of it does overheat/go wrong. As others have said designed like a heat sink on a pc cpu, you don’t see those with covers do you. Functional and not aesthetic design

Reactions: mjcairney
I will get some digital thermostats and run some tests see how hot it does get with and without the cover. I completely understand what everyone is saying.

Reactions: Daggerit, NevMan, mjcairney and 1 other person
Thanks for going the extra mile. Information you provide will be of use to all...

Reactions: Daggerit
I will get some digital thermostats and run some tests see how hot it does get with and without the cover. I completely understand what everyone is saying.

Good shout, will probably be fine, but would imagine the ECU does get quite hot even more so where it is located

Reactions: Daggerit