Missing Coolant!!!

pjmspeedy

Dude, what's mine say ?
Reaction score
Hi Guy's.

I just got in my car and as soon as I started it up the horrible "BEEP" sounded to say the coolant was low. Anyway thought that was strange as I have never had to put a drop in it for the last 12 months and plus I checked it the week before!

So anyway I popped the bonnet and there was nothing in the header tank! :wtf:Where the hell has that gone ? So I've just topped it up with water as I haven't got any coolant in the boot but what the hell's going on ? When I topped it up couldn't see any leaks and the under tray seemed dry on the inside.

Normally when this happens you think Headgasket but it's not smoking at all!

I guess I'll just have to keep my eye on it on the way home but seems very odd. Has this happened to anyone else ?

Check the valve/plug just under the right side of the plastic engine cover, as it seems to leak on the 1.8 engines.
It comes loose and the coolant leaks down the side of the engine towards the oil filter. I had it on my old car and now my new one.

The plastic coolant flange under the PCV valve, rear of the cam cover. Its hard to get to, and leaks if you look at it the wrong way. Classic fault i'm afraid, the bit is cheap (£10) but fitting it needs 3 left handed dwarves and a contortionist.

I gave up, mines in the boot and I keep topping up for now, they either crack along the moulding line or corrosion pushes the o-ring out and it leaks.

i think that sometimes the seal on the lid of the expansion tank goes and causes the water to evaporate.
i though evil above had the problem, i guess he will confirm.

nah mate, fitted a new cap and it was still the same, what seems to define how much it leaks is whether you use the heating or not since that coolant flange feeds the heating. Google a4 1.8T coolant flange and see how many folk have the same fault, its scary :)

I saw mine leaking using an inspection mirror and a torch, and cant get to it to swap it, the new ones still in the boot.

It'll get done at service time (soon) but i'm prolly goin to buy a new car this weekend cos I dont trust the audi after the sludging incident x2, the top end is likely to go along with the turbo bearings if the oil starvation is real and continues - can't go over 55 or the oil level warning comes on.....it has loads of annoying little things need doin and the wishbone arms have gone from ****** speedbump land where I live.

Its had it, so its heading for a punting.

sorry pjm, my five penith worth wasnt worth ****, i stand corrected.
hope you get it sorted mate, aint yours still under warranty ?

what you getting next then evil ?

Thanks for the tips guy's.

I checked it when I got out this evening and it all appeared to be fine. I guess I'll have another look tomorrow when I get to work.

1wheel - I've got an extended warranty but just wanted to be sure before I book it in.

I'll keep you all posted

they suffer from a few things, head gasket leakage is the least common but we have done a few of them now, most common is the coolant bleed screw which sits in the top coolant pipe just under the engine cover, if it is this that is leaking you cant miss it. next is the coolant cylinder block bung which is harder for you to see, it sits behind the thermostat housing under the inlet manifold. you really need to get it checked properly though