Missfire on all cylinders and smoke :(

markthenewt

Reaction score
Hey guys.

My turbo has been playing up for a while, whistling so the fins must be bent or broken.

Anyway for a few weeks now if I drive it off boost for 20 minutes or so while it's warming up then floor it after it's warmed up I get a load of grey smoke which is from what I have been told the oil seals on the turbo.

Anyway last night had to do a 300 mile round trip, drove it off boost all the way there and back untill I was like 5 miles away from home then put my foot down a bit.

The engine light starts flashing and the car was miss firing badly, pulled over swithed it off and then back on no engine light flashing.

So this morning checked oil level, that was ok and scanned it and all 4 cylinders had a missfire error.

Now when I drive it the engine light will flash while missfiring with smoke out the back then the engine light stops flashing goes off then the car is fine, this comes and goes like evry 5 minutes or so.

I was going to do the pickup pipe today with new oil and filter and sump.

Do you think this could be oil starvation issue with the miss firing?

I know the turbo is broke and sending that away to CR Turbos to be refurbed

What do you think guys?

Cheers :/

Last edited:
I'd remove the TIP and check the turbo for play first. In and out, side to side. There maybe slight side to side but shouldn't be any in and out

I'd remove the TIP and check the turbo for play first. In and out, side to side. There maybe slight side to side but shouldn't be any in and out

Hi Sandip cheers for the reply bud. I'm so unhappy right now :( Would a dodgy turbo cause missfiring?

I will go and check now and report back.

Yes my turbo shaft has in and out movement with oil over the blades, also oil in the intake pipe and oil over my new maf sensor.

Would the oil on the maf sensor have caused the missfiring due to not being able able to get the correct reading because of oil on it?

Absolutely gutted :(

Oil on the MAF will likely affect its reading, but if it's spraying oil everywhere there's every chance it's further in, and oil will reduce the combustibility of your petrol, another reason for misfires. The list goes on.

So the thrust bearing on the turbo isn't oil-tight anymore, as far as I understand it, this means:

1) You're going to run out of oil soon as you're spraying it into the intake/exhaust - if that goes on for long, you'll starve everything else in the engine of oil, and kill it.
2) You're running an unlubricated/unstable(imbalanced) turbocharger, before they've run that way for long they turn into an unlubricated part turbo, with the remainder going through your engine, and killing it.

I'm not sure I'd be running it again until you've arranged a new turbo (and probably cat, MAF, and lambda (although that will probably just take a good clean)).

The moral of the story is that if your turbo sounds screwed, and you're getting smoke which is suggested as oil from turbo; be wary of running it, much less do 295 sedate miles before giving it the beans...

Sorry bud!

//R

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply FactionOne,appreciated.

The car is in bits now and won't be back on the road until the turbo has been repaired, just hoping now I have not done any other damage to the car,I guess I will find out when the new turbo arrives and I have put it all back together.

The Maf shall be cleaned with Isopropanal.

Do you mean I might get away with cleaning the Cat,Maf and Lambda or just the Maf, or will I need a new Cat and Lambda sensor now?

I had to pick a mate up unexpectedly from the airport as he missed the last train and bus and I could'nt leave him stranded there till the morning.

It's my own fault, I knew it was a risk and now It's going to be a costly fix, these things happen though, at least it's not competly dead.