Misfire under load.

Essflee

Reaction score
Hello,

Every now and then I get a nasty misfire at the top of 3rd gear, car hasn't misfired in any other gear that I'm aware of. Drives fine otherwise and ticks over as expected,

I checked the codes and had a misfire on cylinder 4 plus multiple misfire detected, this was a few weeks ago, I've since changed the spark plugs and gapped them to 0.7mm.

Yesterday I had the same misfire, top of 3rd again, checked codes, this time cylinder 1 misfire along with the multiple misfire code, also knock sensor 2 popped up.
It doesn't happen everytime, I had a play with my mates edition 30 the other day in 4th and 5th and the car was all good,

Would a tired fuel pump be a possibllity ?

Looking for some advice on where to look next, the car has had the coil pack recall a few years back and they looked fine when I changed the plugs,

Cheers

Hello Badger, cheers for reply.

When you say colour plugs do you mean when I changed them as in burnt colour because they were all a light greyish colour which I believe is good ???

The coil packs were changed as a recall with Audi, probably 2-3years ago iirc.

The coil packs are in the same order as before the plug change, 1st misfire was cylinder 4, since the plug change it was cylinder 1 so a different coil pack too,

I've had a revo stage 1 map installed and the misfire started a few days later, I did phone the bloke to see if the map was causing the issue and was told on the phone the map would be good as it was generic and that it's going to be a hardware issue ??

The car never misfired before though on the stock map.

In 5 years of ownership i've probably had 5 separate occasions of missfire's and every time it's been due to coil pack failure

I thought the new revised coils were meant to be better than the originals for reliability.

Looking on the gsf site, is it worth going for the premium coil packs over the standard items or is it a waste of time spending the extra ?

some folks buy the Red TFSi ones for good price... £60-£70 for a set which is an excellent price. They would work fine.

tfsi coils also fail.. its a coil. it lives in a hot and vibratey place. it happens.

Reactions: Essflee