Misfire / Burning oil

Donfero

Reaction score
Im having a misfire problem on Cylinder 3, and the car is smoking like a train. Changed spark plugs, coils and still having this problem.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk

Is it TDI or TFSI?

If it’s smoking a lot it could be piston ring? I’d get a compression test

Is it TDI or TFSI?

If it’s smoking a lot it could be piston ring? I’d get a compression test
Its a TFSI. It smokes a lot and shuts off when braking or shifting between D and R. I think you're correct its a piston ring.

That’s not a cheap fix.

Could also be a valve stem seal. I’d get a compression test across all 4 cylinders, should be able to determine what’s going on then

Unless it's been overheated or run short of engine oil, I don't think it's likely to be a piston ring problem. It could be a coil pack or valve stem oil seal, but again, you would expect all the valve stem oil seals to 'age harden' at the same rate, so you would think it would affect all cylinders similarly not just the one!

If you get the car to full operating temperature and drive down a longish hill on overrun (without depressing the accelerator) and then floor the accelerator at the bottom and see a massive puff of blue smoke out of the exhaust, this is a good indication of vale stem oil seal failure. As has been already said, a compressing test would quickly identify low compression (could result from rings, piston, bore or valve problems).

That’s not a cheap fix.

Could also be a valve stem seal. I’d get a compression test across all 4 cylinders, should be able to determine what’s going on then
Had the head worked on a year ago, port and polish, new valve stem seals, gaskets and what not.
I have an order for some pistons and rings on the way so ill probably go that route.

Unless it's been overheated or run short of engine oil, I don't think it's likely to be a piston ring problem. It could be a coil pack or valve stem oil seal, but again, you would expect all the valve stem oil seals to 'age harden' at the same rate, so you would think it would affect all cylinders similarly not just the one!

If you get the car to full operating temperature and drive down a longish hill on overrun (without depressing the accelerator) and then floor the accelerator at the bottom and see a massive puff of blue smoke out of the exhaust, this is a good indication of vale stem oil seal failure. As has been already said, a compressing test would quickly identify low compression (could result from rings, piston, bore or valve problems).
Its smoking just coming downhill, or when at a stop light. Smokes like crazy when in Reverse.

Sounds like piston ring then. Leaking injector can cause a misfire.

where did you get your head work done and how much did it cost (if you don’t mind me asking)?

I’m pricing up a rebuild with forged rods/pistons and want to get the head reworked at the same time

Sounds like piston ring then. Leaking injector can cause a misfire.

where did you get your head work done and how much did it cost (if you don’t mind me asking)?

I’m pricing up a rebuild with forged rods/pistons and want to get the head reworked at the same time
Around 200$ for the work on the head, but it wouldn't do you any good to know where because im in Jordan, unless you want to send the head over and ill take care if the rest.

Ha ha, no that’s no good for me!

That seems cheap though. It’s around £1000 to get the head chemically cleaned, ported/polished and rebuilt with new valves seals etc in the UK

Ha ha, no that’s no good for me!

That seems cheap though. It’s around £1000 to get the head chemically cleaned, ported/polished and rebuilt with new valves seals etc in the UK
Labor is relatively cheap here, parts were somewhere around 250usd and and another 200usd for stripping and reinstalling the engine.

The reason!!!
878eafe3ee88bdeb0c0bdd76ea1801ac.jpg
7bbbfd8ae61051c0f62a46e95234026f.jpg
e1fb8e0566d9dfac57f9b008d7ff968e.jpg

I think thats a bin job...and most certainly a cause of oil burning, you'll be needing a rebore now awell.

I think thats a bin job...and most certainly a cause of oil burning, you'll be needing a rebore now awell.
Thats exactly why I went with oversized pistons, but amazingly there was no visible damage to the cylinder...