Misano red lacquer peel (again!)

GC001

Reaction score
Disapointingly i've found laquer peel on my 62 plate S4 avant.

Not washed it a while so figured i would give it a good scrub up today and found it on the rear bumper, behind the wheels. I can only presume its where the bumper has tiny stonechips from the wheel which is unavoidable.

I fiqure Audi will use the stonechips as an excuse to refuse any claims....

Crap iphone shot;

Is it me or have I read about Misano suffering with this a fair bit?

I Googled it and its been a problem for about 6 years plus!

Thought so, its pretty shocking tbh.

Disapointingly i've found laquer peel on my 62 plate S4 avant.

Not washed it a while so figured i would give it a good scrub up today and found it on the rear bumper, behind the wheels. I can only presume its where the bumper has tiny stonechips from the wheel which is unavoidable.

I fiqure Audi will use the stonechips as an excuse to refuse any claims....

Crap iphone shot;

Yup. Thats normal in that area for Misano! Got it there wee bit on mine as well.

This ****** me off in general with the stone chips... They say that they can't fit mudflaps which would stop this and then refuse warranty claims? That's shocking I think... Behund my rear wheels is looking pretty bad from stones actually which really annoys me too.

I had a same lacquer problem with my car (misano red) I took the car straight to audi showroom where i bought it from after few arguments they decided to paint the wing, But then after few months time i noticed some paint pealing off where the front mud flaps are (both sides)
Went back to audi but this time they are saying its because of stone chips, my argument is how can it be on both sides in the same place.
so they sent me to paint shop recommended by audi to get second opinion & which confirmed was due to stone chip :wtf:

In the end i gave up & have decided to sort this out myself.:keule:

My a4 had two new wings fitted under warranty as paint was flaking off ,its interesting to note the facelift model has a plastic lip in at the front wing to protect the edge.my bro in law had same problem fixed last week in his 08 model

My a4 had two new wings fitted under warranty as paint was flaking off ,its interesting to note the facelift model has a plastic lip in at the front wing to protect the edge.my bro in law had same problem fixed last week in his 08 model
Interesting to know that your brother had this new part fitted. Can you post up a pic please as I have a '09 model and would be interested in fitting this.

the repair carried out related to paint flaking off front wings just above mudflaps , new wings were fitted with a bead of body seam sealer mastic type stuff running completely along the edge of the wing .\the new facelift model seems to have a plastic lip presumably up the rear edge where mudflap would fit . i dont know if this secures to the arch liner or the wing or both, but it seems a common sense approach to an over sight on the earlier b8 model , sorry i dont have any pics but it was acknowledged by the audi body shop contact that audi was very familiar with the problem basically mudflaps were too short offering little protection and the paint was very vulnerable. The front wings on a family friends toyota auris seemed to be much better designed .
The issue was raised on here earlier in the year so must be common enough, presumabley the rear arches can suffer similarly .

I havent been by the dealers yet, I think i'm avoiding the confrontation because even though we all know (and they do too) that Misano red is known for this they will put it down to stonechips.

I had no lacquer peel anywhere on my 07 A6 lemans avant when I sold it this year.

Am I right in thinking a lot of A3/S3/RS3's over the last couple of years are suffering from the same as this especially on the rear bumpers.

I've got a 9 month old (62 plate) A4 S Line Black Edition in Brilliant Red. Lacquer is peeling both on the black front grille & on the red front bumper. No stone chips to either of those areas. My car has 1 stone chip to the front but no peeling in that area yet.
Car was purchased from new, has not had any previous repairs & only gets washed by hand + always with polish which is recommended by Audi themselves. It's done 15,000 miles.
Just booked into the dealership for them to have a look at it next month.
Sounds like a common problem. My brother has a VW Golf in Red which has exactly the same problem.
Never had a problem with my previous car (a white 59 plate Audi TT)!

All done and pain free too. Finish and match are good so hopefully it wont fall off this time!

3 years for defects.

As time passes they tend to use wear and tear as excuses to not fulfil the warranty.