Mis-possition

121graham

Reaction score
Just before Christmas my A4 avant was rear ended quite badly ... It was repaired and all was fine until I needed the sat nav, when I put it on at home it says I'm in a field about 40 miles away. It never finds me even if I reboot the system ... Has the repairer not connected something or has the accident damaged something ... I don't use it often but it's a pain sticking the tomtom on the screen of something that I searched for when I was looking for my car 😞

Is it the rns-e?

If so, was it a retrofit or factory?

It says on it Audi Navigation Plus ... The disc says RNS-E ... As far as I know it was a factory install but I bought the car at 3.5 years old

Usually rns-e has the sharkfin, but its possible the gps is fitted in the bootlid & they have either not reconnected or it was damaged & not picked up on repair.

How bad was rear ended?

Pretty bad ... New tailgate, bumper, exhausts, buckled the floor upto the wheel well ...

That sounds more than likely its boot fitted antenna as per the cab & either cable was damaged or not plugged in etc, coincidence I doubt, take it back to them & politely request they fix it 100% correctly as part of the repair.

I'll give Chartwell's a ring when it's up and running again

I don't think there ever was a boot fitted GPS for the avant, only the cabriolet. Factory fit Avant nav systems always have a shark fin.

Cabriolet = boot mount
Avant = shark fin
Saloon = shark fin or rear window glass.

All I know is it worked fine before and now it doesn't ... Hopefully they'll sort it out or it'll be another trip to Audi ... I'll have worn a groove to them before I'm done 😩

I agree Craig, but no sharkfin, so has to be unless the roof had a new part added, which tbh most times a car has that amount of damage, its written of, but you could check with audi via vin to see if it states a fin was originally fitted, but as you've had it 3 years + then you'd remember if it was fitted before the accident I'm sure of.

Pull out the nav & check the cabling behind, see if gps connector is part of the main loom, with banding around other oem connectors, then you'll know even more if its original or retrofitted.

I dont have a shark fin on my Saloon so I presume my original RNS-E is not factory.

I have a phone cradle in armrest so where is the aerial for this? Unless thats retrofitted too :(

Yes I read your post and had a quick look at the rear glass on my car but couldn't see anything that looked obvious.

You won't see anything, it's hidden in the very top of the glass in that black area, to find it you would need to remove the roof liner at the rear of the car and then you will see the antenna arrays.