Mirror Glass

J10NMM

Reaction score
Right then, has anyone experienced their mirror glass just falling off?

Today driving to work my passenger side one just fell off but as I was on a dual carrigway I couldn't stop to pick it up. Then on the way home whilst sat at some traffic lights the drivers side fell off.

I've found that it's a dual purpose mirror glass, convex on one side and wide angle on the other. which is strange as to buy them they only seem to stock one of the other?

Audi want £52 each!!! although I think I'll be having a chat as you wouldn't expect both to fail like they have, it looks like they have become seperated from the heated backing plate.

****** as I'm looking at over £100 to replace now.

How funny I would be interested to know how old your car is as mine did exactly the same thing about 2 weeks ago. Mine is a late 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How funny I would be interested to know how old your car is as mine did exactly the same thing about 2 weeks ago. Mine is a late 2016

Oct 2016

Reactions: dulux72
Mine did this in Dec 2019 and I think it has to do with the heated element weaken the glue - I replaced the Driver side one from Phoenix Mirror and clipped off backplate ( instructions on Youtube ) and stuck the new mirror on the heating plate with some extra double sided tape to be extra sure - at £7.50 I thought worth a punt and it is still on - at that price can fall off every few month :)

Only difference from the Phoenix replacement glass and the OEM Audi one that was originally fitted is the line on the mirror edge which is only on drivers side glass ( blindspot ? or something ) - never noticed any effect doing motorway and local driving over the last 8k miles.

I was going to order another to keep in the car as so cheap - last one fell off at home when I shut the door 10 mins before I was travelling 300 miles down South - so picked up bits and used masking tape to stick together which held for the next 2 weeks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Right-Hand-Drivers-Side-Audi-A6-S6-C7-2012-2018-Convex-Wing-Door-Mirror-Glass/262388058249?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Photo

Last edited:
Reactions: DonkeyIce
Wow.
Mines a 2016 and I have removed my mirror before when trying to fit dynamic mirror signals.
Was a tight fit and fairly secure when I refitted it.
Fingers crossed it never happens, expensive!

The backing plate is a tight fit on the motor ring and took a few pulls with trim removal plastic tool to get off as you found out !
Might be able to just stick the replacement glass with plate in situ - in the cold weather when I fitted mine - took it inside to warm the glass and backing plate for the double sided tape stick better - then just a push fit back in - the hard part as you wait for that horrible sound :(

Oh - a quick google search brings up lots of alternative Mirror glass replacements - if the whole plate with heating has gone - oh a different matter.

I saw mine wobbling. Super glued it back on but only lasted a year.

Last time I used some glass adhesive I had left over from a DIY job.

Been OK since but doesn't clear quiet as quick as the passenger side. My car is a 2012

Watched this video and wow... it's a very long winded way of removing and replacing the glass, So I adjusted the mirror as far as it would go to one side, slipped my fingers behind the part and gave it a tug... popped off with ease..

Then just clipped it back on.. less than 30 seconds..

Reactions: rjwojcik
Spooky, mine literally fell off just prior to Xmas (never happened to me before). I went to

sales@thewingmirrorcompany.co.uk and it was £8.99 plus delivery - it comes with a large sticky pad, but I also backed that up with some sellotape outdoor permanent sticky pads for a couple of quid and seems great now :)

Reactions: DonkeyIce and audi doodey
Just had the same, passenger side mirror glass fell off on a main road, Audi are getting funny cause they need the failed part

?! Good luck finding the pieces :)
Just to update had no issues with the replacement I bought as mentioned in previous post, and thats through ice, snow using the heated mirror function, so can recommend.

Yup, I was, “you expect me to stop my car on a busy road and walk around in it to look for broken bits of glass”
Waiting a call from them on the outcome, worse case is ebay but I have extended warranty so that should cover it

Audi refuse to cover “trim” which is what this mirror is classed as, but will fix it for £85
No thanks I’ll get one from eBay

The saga continues, drivers one has just fallen off

It also happened me on my allroad, I noticed it wobbling driving on the motorway so I changed it. The parts guy at the dealer who is a mate, told me not to leave the mirror switch in the heated position. Don't know if that helps

My passenger side came loose when on holiday in Croatia in 2018. I glued it back into place with Araldite and used a small block and tape to hold it firmly in place. Left it like this for a few hours. It's still in place and the heating works fine. It is a plain glass mirror without any dipping function. I don't know if this would help to remove a mirror, but I have a chef's palette knife in my toolbox for cutting through very thinly glued or sealed components.

John.

Wear and tear? I noticed my mirrors wobbling today, I ended up peeling them off. Should I use double backing tape for number plates or JB Weld Plasticweld glue?

AUDI UK got involved and boom 2 new mirrors in the post

Reactions: RAF_S7 and DonkeyIce
haha my passenger side started to wobble so i took it off and glued it back onto the backing plate, then when i was walking to the car to refit, i ****** dropped it and smashed it!!! bought a replacement from ebay for 12 quid but the glass isnt flat so the reflection is slightly distorted.

My driver side mirror fell off last summer and recently the passenger side one is wobbly. I’ve used gorilla tape to keep it in place!

I was reading this thread a few weeks back. Yesterday heard glass breaking and found this - what a load of crap these Audi mirrors are:
Mirror

Ordered one from Amazon for £23. Glad I don't have anti-dazzle - those look expensive!

The passenger side glass of my 2010 a4 b8 fell off this morning. Luckily the glass didn’t break. I had to use 3M tape to stick it back in although there’s a slight gap in between so I’m not sure if it will affect the heater. Damn thing made me late for work.

I’m guessing it won’t be long till the driver side glass falls off too since I can pull more than half of the glass from the plastic.

I'm reading all these mirrors falling off and wondering if anyone has taken this up with Audi? Clearly its not meant to do that whatever age your cars are and is surely a design issue which they must be fully aware of (not that they'd care!)

Is there a common issue with leaving the mirror setting in the heating position and this causing the glue to weaken over time, or have people had this issue even when not switched to heating mode? Just wondering if I can expect the same fault with mine (3 years old next month).

I'm reading all these mirrors falling off and wondering if anyone has taken this up with Audi? Clearly its not meant to do that whatever age your cars are and is surely a design issue which they must be fully aware of (not that they'd care!)

Is there a common issue with leaving the mirror setting in the heating position and this causing the glue to weaken over time, or have people had this issue even when not switched to heating mode? Just wondering if I can expect the same fault with mine (3 years old next month).
:smallredtriangledown::smallredtriangledown::smallredtriangledown::smallredtriangledown::smallredtriangledown::smallredtriangledown:
AUDI UK got involved and boom 2 new mirrors in the post

Reactions: SBJ
Noticed one of my mirrors seemed a bit wobbly whilst driving a couple of days ago. Then saw this thread, so quickly took a proper look and more or less as soon as I poked it, it fell out!
The backing barely had any stick left to it at all. Bit of carpet 2 sided tape seemed to do the trick.

Noticed one of my mirrors seemed a bit wobbly whilst driving a couple of days ago. Then saw this thread, so quickly took a proper look and more or less as soon as I poked it, it fell out!
The backing barely had any stick left to it at all. Bit of carpet 2 sided tape seemed to do the trick.
How old is your car and did you leave the mirror adjuster switch set to heated most of the time?

How old is your car and did you leave the mirror adjuster switch set to heated most of the time?
2014 not sure about leaving the heater on as I only got her 6 months ago. I haven't had it on heater that I'm aware

Reactions: SBJ
This happened to me a month ago. Luckily noticed both mirrors vibrating slightly so removed them before they fell. Re-attached them both with gorilla glue adhesive.

It could be a pure coincidence, but it happened a couple of days after I used Autoglym snow foam on the car (2015 Allroad). Its worth noting I washed three other cars in the household (2 BMW's & 1 Porsche), with none of the others suffering the same problem (yet). I've had the all road for three years, washed weekly, so it seemed a bit odd after trying a new shampoo. who knows.

Seems the glue they used around the time had a finite lifespan (seems worse in cold environments with the heaters is use more), my passenger one has just done the same. ordered a replacement that arrived today but was cracked, also didnt have the 2 long lugs, so have asked for a refund.

The guy tried to explain that the middle alone would be fine, but Audi wouldnt put them there unless there was a reason (cost savings and all that). Also the heater connectors are in the wrong place and might just restrict the mirror movement at extremes.

Had the same issues on an old Saab years ago, seemed to be a common problem back then with older cars.

Right so, I have had both my drivers and passenger side come loose within the space of 2 months of each other.
2016 model.
Used Gorilla glue to reattach to the heat plate backing!
Im convinced the previous owner had left the heater on for long periods.

I just noticed my passenger side one vibrating over the last week or so. After reading this post time to grab some glue!

I assume I can just gently pry it out without taking the whole shroud off?

I just noticed my passenger side one vibrating over the last week or so. After reading this post time to grab some glue!

I assume I can just gently pry it out without taking the whole shroud off?
Yes, plenty of videos on Youtube but basically, push the bottom right of the mirror right in and get a wide bladed 'implement' to gently prise the mirror out from the top left. Be aware of the wires for the heater element.

Reactions: noisy_lightning
Hi,

My driver side mirror just fell off 10 seconds after closing the door at Heathrow last Wednesday. My vehicle is Apr 2017 model.

I'm gobsmacked that such a pathetic failure on a £40k+ car that is only 5 years old can happen. Going to email Audi UK and try and get a free replacement.

Thanks,
Jon

Hi,

My driver side mirror just fell off 10 seconds after closing the door at Heathrow last Wednesday. My vehicle is Apr 2017 model.

I'm gobsmacked that such a pathetic failure on a £40k+ car that is only 5 years old can happen. Going to email Audi UK and try and get a free replacement.

Thanks,
Jon
Ring Audi UK it is far quicker than an email and it will be sorted by the end of the week.

For anybody interested this turned into a SAGA with a unhappy ending. As there has been no resolution and given the treatment, I am now in a position to name and shame.

After initially emailing Audi UK, they advised I visit my local parts department at my nearest Audi dealer which happens to be literally 2 miles away. Bristol Audi, part of the Mon Motors Group. I was quite upfront with Audi that the only sensible conclusion would be a free replacement.

The parts department, although helpful said that I should go through Service, so I got moved to the service department. It was quite obvious the person who spoke to me wanted to go on their lunch break, so probably just wanted to shoo me on. They claimed that someone must have tried to steal my mirror glass which is apparently very common (that well known crime obviously!) and that it wouldn't be covered by anybody. So was quoted £190 to fit and replace!

Always useful to remember that on the A6, the mirrors fold in when the car is locked...

Anyway, I didn't want to cause a scene at the dealership despite being quite frankly speechless at the fact that no-one even looked at my car and was just dismissed with a rubbish reason for the failure. It's a £40k+ vehicle that has had a mirror glass fall off - something I didn't even know was a thing! So I rang Audi UK - the person I spoke to said that I had a really strong claim, especially as no one even looked at the vehicle and was quite shocked at how dismissive they was - so far so good.

Two weeks passed, no response.

Finally, somebody rang me - but it turns out my claim hadn't been uploaded to the system properly, so had to go through it all again. The person inputting it clearly didn't understand what my problem was and seemed to be getting confused with the fact that I was amazed that a dealership I had literally just booked my car in to have the cambelt replaced etc at a cost in excess of £1k with the mirror glass issue. Anyway, she said it would be investigated and would get back to me.

48 hours. Investigation complete - the dealership, Bristol Audi claimed I never visited and that it is essentially their word against mine.

I am not an angry person, but I was absolutely gobsmacked! I told them they could look at the CCTV and see my car driving into the dealership (it was a flippant comment, but they pointed out they can't do that) - I was fuming tbh. They said they would go back to Bristol Audi and do further investigation.

Another 48 hours passed. They rang again, apparently parts do remember speaking to me, but service didn't. Funny that. Anyway, i've had enough - i've been waiting a month for a new mirror glass and i'm just going to go to an independent and do it myself. This isn't about the money, you don't buy an Audi for cheap car ownership, but you do expect exemplary customer service and for simple parts of your car to not fall apart a 5 years old.

I've cancelled by cambelt service etc at Bristol Audi and would rather a 90 mile round trip to my next nearest one that isn't owned by Mon Motors Group.

What a palava - I have to be honest, it's put me off buying another Audi going forward. Not that anyone will care, but i've never known such shoddy customer relations - especially from what I consider a reasonably premium brand.

Reactions: SBJ and Stig414
Shoddy service all round Jon, not expected from a premium brand.

I posted this the other year...

Is there a common issue with leaving the mirror setting in the heating position and this causing the glue to weaken over time, or have people had this issue even when not switched to heating mode? Just wondering if I can expect the same fault with mine (May 2018 build).

Genuinely, if Audi aren't acknowledging this as a common fault then what's next? They used to have TSB's coving things like that.