Mini Meet - Audi RS3 & TTRS Dyno Run @ Powerstation

MBK

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well that's another fine meet you got me in to. A power run on the dyno at Powerstation would surely mean that I'd continue the cliche for the video music wouldn't it?

Oh and you might have noticed the choice of music is a little ironic as my RS3 made a bit of a shocker in the BHP department, or did it? That's a question we will answer later. Anyway Davy's TT made plenty of power so the music still fits.

Firstly thanks to Davy (Morells) for organising the Dyno run and Professor John (45bvTC) for finding a great pub with perfect parking and a breakfast Audi would be proud of. Even greater thanks to John for finding us a route there when the A46 was closed for resurfacing. Thanks to Ben (Daytona 500) John for sharing their photos from thday too, I've used a few in this little write up and the video.

The main event of the day was the Dyno run at Powerstation PowerStation and it was good to back to a place where I'd spent enough money to buy a small hatchback on modifications in the past. Rich and his team still provide the same great service today.

My car was first up on the dyno and produced these results:

Hmm...ok so just like at TSR Performance we have plenty of torque but this time seemingly even less BHP. This is confusing as the PerformanceBox and Dynolicious on road dyno figures suggest over 400bhp and 0-60 time has reduced to just 3.7s (from 4.2s).

So lets see Davy's TT in action in 4wd mode with the Haldex system in operation:

So again something isn't quite right, good torque figure of 402lbft but just 358bhp (both similar figures to those my RS3 made at TSR performance.

Now lets see Davy's TT in action with the Haldex system fuse removed, making the TT Front Wheel Drive only:

Yes this time we have figures that look better 417bhp and 422lbft, impressive for a Stage 1 map and decat pipe.

We spoke to Rich @ Powerstation at length after the power runs and they had already experienced similar problems with S-tronic (or DSG) equipped cars on their dyno. They had no real explanation for the figures either. Haldex seems to play havoc with the rollers but the thinking was S-tronic might be playing a part too. I didn't run my car again so for now we don't know. I do know my RS3 is much quicker on road (from the PerformanceBox and also the mid range punch of the car) so we will have to wait a while longer for accurate figures either with Haldex disconnected or on a single roller dyno. If you do get your RS3 run on the Maha type dyno make sure it's a 2wd run without Haldex.

No sooner was the dyno run done than Eric (TeeBee) arrived after being stuck in the redirected traffic. After some discussion about the performance results it was time to head off to the Beckford Inn for breakfast and a chit chat, however the A46 being closed meant we needed to find another route and if you've watched the video you have no doubt seen it was a scenic one.

There was an awful lot of turning and staring just like this. This couple, some young boys on bikes, grinning van drivers and some roofers were among those to smile and wave. Being at the back of the pack I did see the odd shake of the head too after 4 sets of thundering exhausts had passed!

More pointing...we weren't the only 'car club' out and about:

Passing this McLaren P1 was a real highlight too, unlikely we'd have encountered this if the A46 had been open:

Finally we arrived the Beckford Inn for pictures and breakfast:

What amazed me most was the broad appeal of the TTRS and RS3, our ages ranged from 23 to retirement and yet we all shared the same passion and enthusiasm for RS cars. John is a great example to us all freely sharing his vast engineering knowledge and lets not forget how much effort he put in to getting the squeaky brake issues resolved for everyone. Ben is quite the genius with the polish too given just how good Johns car looked in the metal, a stunning finish.

Another great fun day out in the RS3, who knows when MrFreeze returns from Disney Land we might even get another run on the same rollers withthe Haldex disconnected, though I'm quite liking John's suggestion of a return to GYG Karting ad the evo triangle, until next time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NHN, Ghost, CarrG and 7 others
Absolutely brilliant Mark [music, video,stills] and not forgetting best of all the sound of those 5 pots under hard acceleration great to watch and even better to be a part of it,cant wait till it happens again.:respekt:

Reactions: 45bvtc and MBK
Thanks Ben, all great fun which is the main thing. I agree we need another meet soon, nothing too formal, something car related and a bit of social works well. I like the way we all bring our own talents to this friendliest of groups.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Disneyland indeed:no:, it may be Florida but I'm not meeting the mouse!

Looks like you all had fun on the day. I'm defo up for a meet, somebody pick a date and place.

If anyone's interested, I'm venturing over the bridge to have Lightning mapped at Gwent VW on the 21st, maybe a mini meet?

GYG would be fun again:scared2:

Reactions: MBK
Get back in from a long night shift about to go to bed and quickly look on here to see what's going on and find this lovely and great wright up. It was a great day and am looking forward to another meet and seeing all who came to this one and some new faces. Iv just noticed Mark something interesting with the 2 graphs he seemed to not have revved the nuts off yours because it says max rpm attained is lower and also your power and torque come in a lot sooner is this because the DSG was changing up on the rollers very strange how he didn't take it all the way :think:. Anyway I'm sure you will have replied by the time I'm wake up haha. Oh and are you keeping the APR map or are you coming to the dark side (Oscarli) :p

Brilliant Mark, just brilliant! Thank you!

PS: retirement was 3-years ago - now don't you feel ashamed chasing down that old guy in front - and he was the one navigating: road, Sat Nav, road, Messerschmitt(s), corner; village, junction, sh#t, the roads no longer on the bl**dy Sat Nav :scared2:, ok the sun's behind, carry on; woo here's a faster bit - maybe going the right way too :racer:; and then, b*gg#r me, that looks like The Beckford Arms!

How on earth…? :readit:

Great fun, guys; a perfect day in the English countryside.

Reactions: Ghost, MBK, DAYTONA 500 and 1 other person
Nice vid, though you could have used a track from here:
8e6462274eb4b6d03304ddd3bfc1d9e9_zps936d4971.jpg

Did any standard cars go on the rollers? What BHP did they report?

Reactions: MBK
Disneyland indeed:no:, it may be Florida but I'm not meeting the mouse!

Looks like you all had fun on the day. I'm defo up for a meet, somebody pick a date and place.

If anyone's interested, I'm venturing over the bridge to have Lightning mapped at Gwent VW on the 21st, maybe a mini meet?

GYG would be fun again:scared2:

:laugh: I knew you'd be all over the Disney mention, I still can't believe you stole that kids trip of a lifetime tickets to go myself. :lmfao:I do seem to remember Robbie comparing Lightning to the said Mouse's ears when you had the black mirrors.

I will see you on the 21st for sure and I'm sure we can find an interesting road or 2 to drive afterwards too if people want to.

Reactions: Mr_Freeze
Get back in from a long night shift about to go to bed and quickly look on here to see what's going on and find this lovely and great wright up. It was a great day and am looking forward to another meet and seeing all who came to this one and some new faces. Iv just noticed Mark something interesting with the 2 graphs he seemed to not have revved the nuts off yours because it says max rpm attained is lower and also your power and torque come in a lot sooner is this because the DSG was changing up on the rollers very strange how he didn't take it all the way :think:. Anyway I'm sure you will have replied by the time I'm wake up haha. Oh and are you keeping the APR map or are you coming to the dark side (Oscarli) :p

Thanks Davy glad you enjoyed, I'm sticking with the APR map because the on road delivery is the smoothest I've experienced with a map and I'm happy with the on road performance figures.

I agree on the maximum RPM and as Rich explained S-tronic seems to struggle with the massive drag created by the rollers (the green drag loss figures on the charts for those interested). I've reported before on here that my car will short shift of it's own accord even in Sport in very wet conditions - seemingly when the S-tronic box or ecu notices the tyres are slipping and spinning, the same may be true on the Dyno but without a FWD run or a single roller dyno we won't know for sure. Like I say though the on road performance is enough for me.

Brilliant Mark, just brilliant! Thank you!

PS: retirement was 3-years ago - now don't you feel ashamed chasing down that old guy in front - and he was the one navigating: road, Sat Nav, road, Messerschmitt(s), corner; village, junction, sh#t, the roads no longer on the bl**dy Sat Nav :scared2:, ok the sun's behind, carry on; woo here's a faster bit - maybe going the right way too :racer:; and then, b*gg#r me, that looks like The Beckford Arms!

How on earth…? :readit:

Great fun, guys; a perfect day in the English countryside.

You're welcome John, I will get these clips and those from GYG etc to you as requested too.

It was a fun unexpected little run - I have no idea how ended up in the right place but we did - great team work to create and record another fine little event. The main thing is we were out enjoying driving and chit chatting about the RSs once more.

Nice vid, though you could have used a track from here:
8e6462274eb4b6d03304ddd3bfc1d9e9_zps936d4971.jpg

Did any standard cars go on the rollers? What BHP did they report?

Thank you, love it, I've not seen that one before!

No standard cars ran on the rollers so no figures to compare. If/when the map is made switchable or a visit to one of these single roller dynos is the only time we will know for sure. All I can say is the on road performance is blistering so the 418lbft figure is certainly believable and I think the car is running much closer to 400bhp too.

Thank you, love it, I've not seen that one before!

They are a spin-off group from the period when Duran Duran were split. I'm a bit of a new romantic, even though that stopped being new long ago now! :)

No standard cars ran on the rollers so no figures to compare. If/when the map is made switchable or a visit to one of these single roller dynos is the only time we will know for sure. All I can say is the on road performance is blistering so the 418lbft figure is certainly believable and I think the car is running much closer to 400bhp too.

I've only ever had one of my cars RR'ed and that was on a two-wheel system so we had to disable the Haldex. I suspect the variable split in torque is what throws the RR out.

Last edited:
Reactions: T-800 and MBK