miltek too quiet??

20vtdaz

Reaction score
hi guys, i have a miltek system on my s3 but im not over impressed by the noise, it sounds awesome as far as tone is concerned just a little too quiet, what recommends do you guys have, ill only be changing the back box not the whole system, thanks

I take it you have the resonated system? ( with a silencer in the centre section )

I have this system too, althougth its quiet inside the car, from the outside it sounds great i think, not to loud but nice and throaty.

Anyhow, if you want it louder, you will need to get the centre silencer taken out, or buy a whole new centre section from miltek, as the back boxes are the same on both systems. Any descent powerflow/ custom exhaust manufacturer should be able to cut the silencer out and put a straight stainless pipe in its place, which willl give you the noise your after.

ok this is where i sound like a chav but it isnt the resonated one, like i say it sounds awesome, perhaps im being too fussy

i've got the resonated one, but i've also got a remap diverter valve and silicon Turbo inlet pipe.

IMO it sounds just right once its all warmed up. if you say the non resonated is too quiet, then you must like them loud!

why would you want a really loud exhaust when you drive an audi S3?! personally i turn heads from the sweet sound of the turbo whooshing lol

I'm glad I went for a non res Supersprint exhaust rather than Milltek. Just waiting for delivery from Italy. Would a new Milltek Downpipe make things a tad louder?

its not that i want it loud, i just thought an exhaust with out a resonator would have been louder, having said that i have only heard inside the car which imo is very standard sounding, a mate doing a driive by may be in order? im certainly not after a peco big bore 4 just a little more under full throttle would be nice, i also have the hi flow cats, tip fmic etc etc,

Why? If you want more noise drive everywhere with the windows down. Very strange, most people spend their time trying to kill road/wind/exhaust noise, not increase it.

yes, what an awesome solution ill drive everywhere with my window down, thanks everyone but my problems now solved thanks to einstein,,

Just as sensible as wanting the exhaust to sound louder in the car! Money might be better spent on making the car quicker rather than louder.

If you know it all, Daz, why do you ask opinions? You say it sounds "awesome" yet it is not loud enough.........so it's not "awesome" then......? Or is it......?
You say "this is where I sound like a chav.......!" Well you sort of do!

If you want to find out how to make your car noisy, try somewhere that sells noisy tat for cars, you may want a nice "POWERFLOW" exhuast and a blow off valve.....your car will run like crap but it will be noisy...?!

I have to say I dont know the point of this thread at all.

Maybe buy every single exhaust out there till you find one you like.....? Or maybe just be happy with a nice qulaity item you have tha as you admit "sounds awesome!" ........A crazy idea, but it might just work!

hey daz, if your about this weekend could i possibly hear your exhaust? As ive got the quite milltec on mine and would like to hear the louder one! I think what daz is trying to say is he likes the sound of the exhaust but it needs to be a bit louder under load!

but Edd you have downpipe and sport cat? no? that will make a difference because of the higher flowing gases,
i bet theres someone around that would want to swap a resonated to non-resonated.

apparently the backboxes are the same, just on mine there is a extra silencer box which can be cut out. i really want to hear one before it goes to APS so if i do like the sound i can get it removed!

Ed, the noise will vary between applications, turbo and dp will have a big effect.
When are you coming to APS, I can maybe arrange to meet you over there and let you listen to mine. I have same turbo and the louder miltek fitted.

All I can say is I was there one day in the wait room with a guy who had come over from france for a day to ave loads done on his TT, including a miltek. We were talking and he heard this sound and said, IS that mine? OMG wow that sounds amazing! (gettign all excited!).........until Ed said, err, no, sorry that's his S3!! Yours will be quieter as you have the centre box!!

Due to the design of the S3 exhausts with the large back boxes, they are all quiet on cruise but it has a nice gruff growl under load that is still not intrusive into the cabin. This is Daz's problem, unless he puts on a smaller 18t style backbox, it will be relatively quiet, but if he does this, it will drone like a bumblebee on cruise!!

lol ok smich, im going up there on the 5th which is a week tomorrow i think! Probably get down there about 11ish! would you be able to pop down? Its not to far for you is it?!

ok im getting the impression im going to leave it, im not suggesting i know it all but what sort of an answer is leave my window open? that isnt helpful is it? ed is spot on, the tone is fine with me, it was more an open thought i didnt realise it was such an offensive question, i also have the sports cats although no downpipe, like i say i was just expecting more from it, as for more power that is also something im looking at, but its a hard concept after spending thousands on a car that i still only find ok,

edward_harris said:
lol ok smich, im going up there on the 5th which is a week tomorrow i think! Probably get down there about 11ish! would you be able to pop down? Its not to far for you is it?!

from what ive heard Ed the difference is minimul between silencer and no silencer, i wouldnt cut it out as it might effect warrenty, and miltek are hardly the friendlies of people as it is

Theres some stroppy buggers on here aint there!!

The saying "If you aint got anything good to say..." comes to mind!!!

Tbh mate, if you get a mate to do a drive by, youll probably find that the exhaust sounds fine. Your best bet is to probably strip your car down and get rid of any sound deadening if you want it to sound better in the car.

you just wont get the same sound in the car with newer cars!

josh

20vtdaz said:
from what ive heard Ed the difference is minimul between silencer and no silencer, i wouldnt cut it out as it might effect warrenty, and miltek are hardly the friendlies of people as it is

It's clear you dont really have a clue Daz. Miltek customer service is second to none in the exhaust business, you get a lifetime warranty for as long as you own it, I know I have had two systems and an extra backbox on my mk4 in 5 years and a new DP and cat!

Always helpful, they do ask sometimes to go to their base HO, but for most genuine claims its not an issue.

Oh and ref the loss of warranty without the centre box........Miltek sell the system with or without the centre box, hence resonated or non resonated. If Ed wants to remove the centre box, he just orders the centre pipe form them without the centre box and fits it, its all warrantied then. Otherwsie, if APS send them the centre pipe, they will remove the centre box for him and I suspect it will be FOC.
As for there being no difference, there is a noticeable difference, I know I have had both on mine. I ordered the centre pipe with no box and as my original with box was only a few miles old, the swapped free of charge. If you have had a bad experience with Miltek service, why do you have their exhaust on your car......? If you have not had bad service, not sure its right to rubbish them on here.

Ed, yep, I'll pop down on 5th. Are you there all day?

joshW said:

josh

..same as what.........?

He has said it sounds "awesome", I dont think any of us know what he wants! You seem to know it should sound like something else, but he has not said he does not like it compared to anything else..?

I am very confused by this thread, if he just wants more volume, the opening he windows is pretty much all you can do!

Maybe move your seat back further DAz, so you are closer to the tailpipe....!?

Ed, yep, I'll pop down on 5th. Are you there all day?[/quote]

Thanks Smich, not sure about all day as ill be getting a lift back with a mate so i doubt they will want to stay to long! Probably be down there for an hour or so! If you pm me your number i can always give you a shout when I'm there, or there abouts! Thanks

i thought Ed was thinking of cutting it out not replacing, sorry Ed, and ive also had dealings with miltek and found quite the opposite, an exhaust that didnt have the slightest chance of fitting and i was told not to bend it heat it etc etc, they werent helpful and after spending nearly 800 quid on an exhaust, sorry if i expected better,

joshW said:
Theres some stroppy buggers on here aint there!!

The saying "If you aint got anything good to say..." comes to mind!!!

Tbh mate, if you get a mate to do a drive by, youll probably find that the exhaust sounds fine. Your best bet is to probably strip your car down and get rid of any sound deadening if you want it to sound better in the car.

josh

thanks josh, didnt think i deserved that, after having a friend drive past me ive found that your right, the exhaust is fine as is, cant see how they manage to keep it so quiet in the car though, didnt credit it sounding at all like it does, thanks