Milltek Doesn't look right

solaris

Reaction score
Hi,
Just fitted a milltek cat back system on my DTM however im not happy with the looks as the tail pipes stick out far too much from the rear diffuser something is not right, im gonna get the car up on a ramp and double check the part numbers for each section in the mean while can I request milltek owners to post up side pictures of the rear bumpers showing how much the pipes should stick out?

I had the same problem on my B7 Cabrio when I had the Milltek fitted. They stuck out about 1" more than ideal, so basically I cut 1" off each of the tailpipe finishers. You also will have to extend the slots (when you look there are 4 slots on each tailpipe finisher where they connect to the exhaust so they can flex and grip when tightened). All put back together, and it looks perfect!

I had the same problem on my B7 Cabrio when I had the Milltek fitted. They stuck out about 1" more than ideal, so basically I cut 1" off each of the tailpipe finishers. You also will have to extend the slots (when you look there are 4 slots on each tailpipe finisher where they connect to the exhaust so they can flex and grip when tightened). All put back together, and it looks perfect!

Mine stick out more than 1"...... the car behind could crash into them lol!

milltek.jpg

Last edited:
That looks wrong, it's should only stick out when the exaust system is hot!

Certainly looks 2" too long.

Do you mind me asking how much the Miltek exhaust was including fitting?
also what incraese in performance they quoted.

That looks wrong, it's should only stick out when the exaust system is hot!

I take it that is a joke!!! Lol

it does look very wheelbarrowish mate, sorry. Are the hangers on correctly??

I will have what you are drinking mate!!! That's b******s. Lol. A few mm maybe but an inch is a bit far fetched.

I was only trying to help the OP by repeating what I had heard. I don't know if it's true or not.

Last edited:
I was only trying to help the OP by repeating what I had heard. I don't know if it's true or not.

Yeah, fair enough. Sorry if it sounded a bit abrupt.

There is obviously either a design or fitment fault as it definitely does not look right, I think we all agree on that.
I would definitely take it back.

Personally I think they look good sticking out a bit further than normal, but then I am not sure if my opinion is good as I do not think that the silver/chrome coloured wing mirrors look good, I much prefer colour coded mirrors especially on a black car as I have. I also do not understand the excitement about A6 wheels!

Buster

PS do any of you guys go to Le Mans?

i didnt like how far mine stuck out especially when hot or how big they were

So i threw mine away and had some less dramatic pipes on.. £50

DSC00877.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

Ok I jacked up the car and checked all the part numbers. They are all correct and correspond to this model (Confused):-
MSAU297 Large-bore Downpipe
MSAU258 'Y' Piece
MSAU259 LH Centre Section
MSAU260 RH Centre Section
MSAU261 LH Rear Silencer
MSAU262 RH Rear Silencer
MSAU298X2 100mm Trim Assembly - Dual Jet

Time for some cutting I suppose ...I rekon I can sort this out..watch this space.

Oh and in response to your question Fireyjack I paid £680 delivered (AmberPerformance) for the full cat back system, I fitted it my self.

Those look good, but just think how much better the back would look if debadged, keep the roundels though.

Buster

Right I have cut the rear pipes about an inch and adjusted the hangers to lift up the rear silencers. Looks ok now, enjoy:-

photo2-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Last edited:
very nice mate, now tell us how it sounds, how much it cost you and what its like on the motorway? as i am thinking of getting one myself, but £700 is alot for an exhaust!

The exhaust sounds alot meatier when giving it a few revs on idle, I can't say i've noticed a difference in power, during driving the noise is not too intrusive. Its exactly how I wanted it to be. I have a few other mods that should complement the exhaust but all shall be revealed in time.

All you need now is a nice induction, rail pump and remap file..

Ive have evom induction, Autotech fuel pump (although i hear KMD's is the same but cheaper) and GIAC software!!!!!

then go find some rs4's they wont be so smug then :asskicking:

I will have what you are drinking mate!!! That's b******s. Lol. A few mm maybe but an inch is a bit far fetched.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've read again today about how much an exhaust can expand due to the heat - the full thread is HERE

After the dry fit it was time to fiddle with the 3.5" tail trim's to get them sitting/looking wright before final fix, at this point Bill said when a full stainless steel system is hot it will expand a full 1" and the tail trim's will poke out a little so he adjusted them to compensate.

sure the tails on the milltek like others im sure are adjustable as in how far out or in they sit.