Million DSG boxes

Markm49

Reaction score
I don't know if you saw this or not but Auto Express are reporting that VW have just passed the 1m mark on the number of DSG boxes built with 400k built in the last year alone. In addition they have ramped up production to 1,750 per day at Kassel so the next million will take only 18 months to reach !

Makes you realise just the scale of the VW groups operation !

VAG are the most impressive car builders in the world, no question. To build cars in quantities like that, to those standards is very impressive to say the least! Is there another manufacturer who produce pretty much the best car in EVERY sector of the market? Not to the best of my knowledge!

Is there another manufacturer who produce pretty much the best car in EVERY sector of the market?

That made me spit my tea out...
Are you serious?:wtf:

Come on, that's just baseless nonsense.
The Polo is the best Supermini? - no, it isn't.
The Golf is the best hatchback? - no, it isn't
The A4 is the best medium saloon? - no, it isn't.
Need I go on.

You may think they produce the best cars in every sector, but I think you're on your own there.
Even VAG's most vehement supporter would be hard pushed to agree with that massive statement!:shrug:

Why?
So I can stop questioning daft statements like VAG make the best car in every sector?

That made me spit my tea out...
Are you serious?:wtf:

Come on, that's just baseless nonsense.
The Polo is the best Supermini? - no, it isn't.
The Golf is the best hatchback? - no, it isn't
The A4 is the best medium saloon? - no, it isn't.
Need I go on.

You may think they produce the best cars in every sector, but I think you're on your own there.
Even VAG's most vehement supporter would be hard pushed to agree with that massive statement!:shrug:

Hope your tea wasn't too hot...

Personally i can't think of another car i'd pick over a VAG product in any catagory. Maybe i'd take a 3 series coupe over an A5...but thats it.
I don't like japanese (too plasticky and basic feeling) or french cars (just bad design and cheap feel), end of. So yes taking into account image, design, build quality and second hand resale values i do believe that VAG make the best cars in the world overall. VAG engineering totally saved Bentley and Lamborghini. No other company could have done that. They also did total justice to the Bugatti marque.... no other company could have put THAT much money and engineering knowhow into making a product like the Veyron.
Anyway no worries i'll wave at you in your Fiat 500 or Nissan Micra from my Polo.

Toyota are actually much bigger than the VAG group, in terms of the sales volume and revenues. I think they came second only to GM last year, Toyota have gained a big strangelhold of the North American market and are really capitalising on it with the introduction of greener engines and also Lexus are enjoying good times when the isf range is launched.

However VAG are hot on their heels.

I don't doubt Toyota are a bigger company. My original point, if maybe slightly sweeping, was that no other manufacturer has a range which covers nearly every market and to such a high level of quality. Alright i won't split hairs, if they don't make THE best car in a catagory...it's not far off.

I don't doubt Toyota are a bigger company. My original point, if maybe slightly sweeping, was that no other manufacturer has a range which covers nearly every market and to such a high level of quality. Alright i won't split hairs, if they don't make THE best car in a catagory...it's not far off.

Now that I certainly agree with VAG does have the most diversified range of cars.

Alright i won't split hairs, if they don't make THE best car in a catagory...it's not far off.

Now that's certainly easier to swallow.:sm4:
Yes, I'll give you that, they are pretty competitive in every sector.
The only fly in their ointment, IMO, is the Polo.
Such an ancient design, inside and out.
It's traditional USP of superior build quality/materials doesn't hold water now, as the competition have caught up.
So you can have just as good build quality, but with more modern exterior and interior design.
I would imagine a replacement is in the pipeline though.

your forgetting skoda and seat's offering in the segment. The ibiza and fabia are pretty good if you think the polo is over priced.

True, both are certainly more interesting than the Polo.