Millers Oil S3

Robert Williams

Reaction score
Im getting a stage one remap at R-Tech in october and they recommend using 5w 40 oil.

Ive been looking at the Millers Oil and cant decide whether to use the EE Long Life or the XF Long Life or even to use long life at all!

Is there a difference apart from price tag?

Upload 2015 8 30 16 33 49
Upload 2015 8 30 16 34 21

but all the 5w40 specs are 502.00 / 505.01?

The long-life stuff doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Audi's long service interval schedule of course has these as part of the spec,but if you take a look at the stuff after the recommended interval,it is pretty nasty.

I took mine off the long service schedule after the first one,and went to much shorter oil change intervals.

The best of the oils would appear to be Motul 300V or Miller Nanodrive,for top end power,and so on.
I've switched to 300V recently and found far less loss via the catch can as well,for what that's worth....

The price differential between the long life medium spec oils,and the best is relatively small.....if you're remapping your car,stick with the best,not the best budget spec.

just noticed aswell that they are 'racing' oils... I dont want racing oil. its only a stage one map. Just a decent 5w 40 that is the correct quality.

just noticed aswell that they are 'racing' oils... I dont want racing oil. its only a stage one map. Just a decent 5w 40 that is the correct quality.

Just because it's labelled as a "racing" oil doesn't mean you have to treat it as such.
What it does mean is that it's a product which will stand up well to that sort of use.

Don't forget that relatively recently,Mobil 1 was a "race" oil.

The Longlife Millers have labled EE and XF with only apply to a BMW Longlife spec not VW's high quality LongLife oil .

I've done a bit of research and on here http://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php and so far i cant find any 5w40 oils that are of 504 00 standard. In the manual it says to use 504 00 for long life servicing and 502 or 504 for fixed servicing.
The numbers don't necessarily mean its good or bad quality it seems. Its for the type of engine and driving that you do...

There is a difference in quality .

If an oil is designed to last longer it's oil basestock group and additive package must be higher .

The LongLife up to 2 year/ 20k service interval is way too long though .

The normal fixed 5w40 and 5w30 LongLife oils hot 100°C viscosities are so close
( 1 unit ) that if the grade viscosity range goal posts were to be moved by 1 unit they would both come under 1 grade .

Ok I think I get what you mean. So if they are so close when up to temperature why would it be recommended to use 40 rather than 30? What do you run?

Yeah , you've got it .

The VW fixed and variable 40 / 30 grades they're general headings with about 4 units range within each grade .

So the 30 is at the thick end and the 40 the thin.

I use 507.00 , not an S3 though .

oh i thought you use 5w 40 on a 'tuned' engine because its slightly thicker than 5w 30. This is what R-Tech say about the 2.0TFSI...

4: Which engine oil to use in a 2.0 TFSI?

The most commonly recommended oil for the TFSI engine is 5w30. Under extreme conditions on a stock un-tuned engine the 5w30 oil can become to thin and smoke a little causing the engine to burn oil. The usage of oil will become exaggerated once tuned, under extreme conditions after a good hard run its very common for the tfsi to smoke on idle fro the tail pipes for a few seconds. To eliminate this issue we recommend only to use 5w40 oil Quantum Platinum or 5w40 Millers Nanodrive. If you are planning track days then the best option would be use the Millers 50 grade oil. The R-Tech recommended Millers Oil supplier is www.akstuning.co.uk - 01234 822324

£55+ Millers 5w40 CFS Nanodrive Ester oil is superb and has been proved to release more power and torque.

It's only 2 units thicker difference @ 100°C than 504.00 and 1 unit thicker than 502.00 505.01 .

Reactions: Robert Williams
The quote from R-Tech is pretty much what I expected,in that they're recommending Nanodrive,which as Gazwould says,is an excellent oil,and very similar in characteristics to Motul 300V.

Both have proven power/torque benefits,and for me,the side benefits in terms of less oil usage and blow-by were welcome too.

So is it the race one they are recommending or just any nano drive. That's what I was originally I sure of.

Nanodrive EE is probably a group 3 oil basestock - actually a mineral base.

The very high quality Nanodrive is the CFS Racing which will contain either groups 3 , 4 and top group 5 Ester or 4 and 5 either will have 10 - 20 % group 5 Ester content .

So is it the race one they are recommending or just any nano drive. That's what I was originally I sure of.

Easiest way to find which one they're specifically recommending would be to ask them,and have them change the oil when you go for your remap.

I asked if they could change it but it was a no because i'm going on a Saturday and they said they wouldn't be able to fit it in.

I asked if they could change it but it was a no because i'm going on a Saturday and they said they wouldn't be able to fit it in.

Fair enough.

Find out which they're recommending,and then go to Opie Oils.
I would expect it to be Nanodrive CFS.

As i said,i now use Motul 300V Race 5/40 which is broadly similar.

Reactions: Robert Williams
Well they recommended Quantum Platinum 5W40 502.00 505.00 505.01 or the Millers Nanodrive, it could be the EE Nanodrive as it is also a 5W40 502.00 50500 505.01.

Futher up the scale is the top draw Ester oils which far exceed those above , like Millers Nanodrive CFS is £56.

But possibly still on offer at Opie Oils is the normal Millers CFS triple ester and other esters starting at £35.96 for 5L , it's a no brainer .

20150830_173034png.jpg_zpshnqtje9e.png