Miles remaining

BigJoeyC

Reaction score
Afternoon ladies and gents

Just a quick question in regards to the accuracy of the dash computer stating the amount of miles before the fuel tank is empty.

Mines an audi a4 2.0tdi and is currently stating 295miles left in fuel tank. I only stuck 45.00 of diesel in and have done 122miles already. Seems to get a further 295 miles off 45.00 is too good to be true?

What are peoples experience with the accuracy of this? Mines a 143ps

Thanks, Joe

Mine seems to say whatever it likes with no real consistency. If i remember correctly it's based on most recent fuel usage so will vary drastically depending how you drive but I wouldn't trust it.

The only time I look at it is when I'm running quite low and trying to convince myself I can make it to the next petrol station.

Mine seems to say whatever it likes with no real consistency. If i remember correctly it's based on most recent fuel usage so will vary drastically depending how you drive but I wouldn't trust it.

The only time I look at it is when I'm running quite low and trying to convince myself I can make it to the next petrol station.

Seems way off to me but i guess im basing my theory on a analogue gauge and the “red light” or “petrol light”. Might test it and see how far i get. However i am expecting the digital reading to drastically drop at some point for no reason

You need to understand how the system works. It estimates remaining range based on the current driving pattern. If you leave home with the range showing 300 miles and do ten miles of slow stop/start driving in heavy traffic, the range will fall dramatically because right now you’re averaging 20mpg.

If you leave the house with the same range (and fuel on board) and immediately settle into a 60mph cruise on a deserted motorway, the range will rise dramatically because right now you’re averaging 40mpg.

I have same engine and brimmed tank to drive to cambridge 70 - 80 cruise comp was saying 575 miles of range I done 100miles or just over before it dropped to 570 miles of range all depends on if your in city or motorway cruise really I find the 143 dam good on fuel.

Coming from a 2009 bmw 530d.

We do also have a mk6 2009 golf 2.0tdi which is a bit better on fuel its mapped but will be alot lighter car.

I have same engine and brimmed tank to drive to cambridge 70 - 80 cruise comp was saying 575 miles of range I done 100miles or just over before it dropped to 570 miles of range all depends on if your in city or motorway cruise really I find the 143 dam good on fuel.

Coming from a 2009 bmw 530d.

We do also have a mk6 2009 golf 2.0tdi which is a bit better on fuel its mapped but will be alot lighter car.

Came from a 2.2tdci Mondeo st. Audi seems to be better on fuel

What mileage do you tend to get from a full tank of fuel in the audi mate? And what does it cost to fill it

Came from a 2.2tdci Mondeo st. Audi seems to be better on fuel

What mileage do you tend to get from a full tank of fuel in the audi mate? And what does it cost to fill it

Not too sure on full tank I think is around £65 -£70 (I only use shell or bp) and 650-700 miles motorway (less if am in a rush) and 450-400 miles town most of the time I just put £40 - £50 in it lasts a while ..