Mileage worries

robby

Reaction score
I've been looking at getting a 2003> A3 but my budget is quite low (£9kish) so the ones that fall into the price bracket are 100k 2.0tdi140 sports (which i'd prefer) or 80k 2.0fsi petrols

Is mileage an issue with the A3s? what problems should i look out for?

thanks

I think, personally that I would prefer a 100k diesel over an 80k petrol.

But this should not affect the decision on the one you want. Figure if you want a D or P and just go for the right car for you....

IMHO, of course.

Also, wait untill the new reg comes out (end of the month I think) and there will most likely be more cars available.

I am sure you have reasons for the A3 choice - but had you considered B6 A4? You will get a lot more lower mileage car for your money.

My A4 1.8T sport 190 (04 plate) went for around 10k with 40k miles. The A4 suffeerd a fair deal of depreciation when the facelift hit the market making it a good second hand buy.

I wouldn't touch a 100K 140 A3,no way.
My one hasn't even done 30K and it's feeling tired.
The DSG is all jerky,there are numerous rattles etc.etc.
It's got a full service history and is reasonably well looked after too.
I might not like it,but I do look after it out of common decency to my employer.
By comparison my 3 year old '02 A4 (38000 miles) was tight as a drum when it went back to the leasing company.

thanks for the replies
i've had 2 A4 1.8T sports (98 + 2000my) with around 50k and they ran great.
The only VAG diesel i've owned was a fabia VRS which i had remapped by Jabba (around 320lb/ft) and was great but smoked when on boost.
I liked the fact it was great when rolling and still gave around 55mpg which is why i'm thinking of a A3 tdi, the reason for considering a 2.0petrol is i'm only doing 100 miles a week
I've driven a 2004 A4 but i found it too big for my needs (and the garage) which is why i want an A3

I was hoping mileage wouldn't be a worry with a newer A3 (03>) but i expect it's down to the previous owner/ driver as much as anything?

robby said:
it's down to the previous owner/ driver as much as anything?

Thats right. I have seen plenty of cars with intergalatic mileage on them wich are still running fine, however with high mileage it all comes down to how they have been previously treated. Unfortunately this is also one of the most difficult things to get a picture of.

A colleague of mine has an old Range Rover Classic, it has covered 370k miles and is still on the original engine and gearbox/transmission.:wtf:

I bought a 8P 53 reg A3 2.0TDi 140 with 100k on the clock 2 weeks ago.
I gave it a full service and have since covered over 1,000 miles.

My dad has a 55 reg VW Touran with the same engine/gearbox combo and has covered 40,000 miles.

There is no difference in how the engines run at all. I have to admit that the A3 was very well looked after - the Leather/Alcantara seats looked as new. I guess this is a sign that the car has been loved.

I would def buy a 100k TDi over a 50k Petrol any day of the year!!

Our B6 130 TDi has done 170k and still feels tight. High mileage is actually a better indicator that the car has had an easier life than a low mileage one. High mileage can only be achieved on the motorway, so you know most of it's life has been cruising. Low mileage to me is the real no no. You just know the thing has been doing short journeys and school runs which is really hard of the mechanicals.

well i'm going to look at the 80k 2.0fsi sport this weekend (dealer) - any tips what i should be checking/ looking out for?

thanks

smoke from the exhaust when it's first started up, and under acceleration (difficult to check when you're driving). Sure signs the Turbo is on it's way out (in a Petrol - in a Diesel that's life)