Mileage on car vs Audi service history doesn't tally up....

Ryanfsr

Reaction score
Hi all

I purchased my A3 Sportback Quattro (8P) a couple of months back from a used car dealer near Kings Lynn. The car was listed through them as having 45,000 miles, and came with Full Audi Service history.

I've just been looking through the service history regarding Haldex servicing to see if had been done on the car at all. I couldn't see anything, so rang Audi to get them to double check there records also.
The woman I spoke to sent me a 'service summary' sheet via email, and something there immediately caught my eye!

The latest bit of work that Audi did on the car (brake fluid change) was done in 2015, and the mileage there was recorded as 75,315. My car is indicating that it's only just over 48,000 on the clock reading!!

I didn't think things like this could be tampered with!?

Have you checked the MOT history online? Audi could be wrong as they are a bit useless.

But when buying a car I trust no one and I check everything. It annoys people when I ask lots of questions but better safe then sorry

Yeh I have, 6th July showing 46,242 miles. This was done by the dealer though prior to me collecting. Considering it's a 62 plate (2013 registered vehicle), this is probably it's first one.

That said, the service history Audi sent to me seems a little weird aswell. Hoping now it's just a bit of a c*k up there end....

service_history_zpstlg4dq9l.jpg

I've looked at the dealer records and indeed the system shows the same for your car.

However...
My money is on the dealer system being incorrect as it was in for a warranty issue in June 2014 with 21k on the clock and then It came in for a service 11 months later with 67k on the clock.

So 46k in 11 months? An average of 4,181 miles per month lol.

Typo and someone obviously could be fudged to get out of their chair and see what was up and just pumped some numbers in.

Cheers

Mike

Reactions: thesaint08 and Hookmonster
Might worth be you checking it yourself online on the GOV website or doing a HPI/Text check. Second hand dealers you can never trust but hopefully its kosher and just a simple mistake

Where did you buy the car from? I wouldn't just let this go, I bought an Audi A3 middle of last year from Evans Halshaw, on the clock it had 83k but it has been clocked from 184,000 to 73,000 in previous years. Checked this on MOT History checker and the service book was all fake. I also came across this when ringing up Audi to check the services and the mileage didn't add up. After a few months of phoning the garage 3 times a day I got a full refund back.

Edit: I even paid for the HPi check (admin fee) and all was fine, after the car went back I did my own HPi check and didn't reveal a mileage discrepancy. Thank god for the Gov website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you buy the car from? I wouldn't just let this go, I bought an Audi A3 middle of last year from Evans Halshaw, on the clock it had 83k but it has been clocked from 184,000 to 73,000 in previous years. Checked this on MOT History checker and the service book was all fake. I also came across this when ringing up Audi to check the services and the mileage didn't add up. After a few months of phoning the garage 3 times a day I got a full refund back.

Edit: I even paid for the HPi check (admin fee) and all was fine, after the car went back I did my own HPi check and didn't reveal a mileage discrepancy. Thank god for the Gov website.

By chance it wasn't Evans Halshaw Hemel Hempstead was it?

I know a bloke (we fell out of this) that knew one of the sales staff in there and for about £100 a car this person could give a car full main dealer history and lots of fake paper work. So they must be all at it then!!!

It might be a typo but it's a awfully big typo. Keep digging and don't except the "garages" word for it. As said Gov websites are your friend. Keep us posted.

I know a bloke (we fell out of this) that knew one of the sales staff in there and for about £100 a car this person could give a car full main dealer history and lots of fake paper work. So they must be all at it then!!!
Well that's pretty terrible and fair play that you fell out with him.

But the mileage change was done in 2011/2012 so couldn't have been Evans Halshaw, I just thought they could have done more thorough checks, the MOT History Checker is free and even I managed to figure out the car had been clocked. It's not difficult to ring round the garages where the car has been serviced and get them to confirm.

They took the car back off me and sent it to auction, the car was bought and has been MOT'd since then with the mileage still incorrect so god knows if they sold the car with the mileage on the clock (85k ish) or 210,000+ which the car actually has.

The car was purchased from Stebbings near Kings Lynn just over a month ago.

I've got Hitchin Audi looking into it, and I've also started an email trail with Stebbings regarding it, so at least there's things in writing in case I have to take things further.

The only thing making me feel any better about it is the discrepancy of the mileage in 2014. Keeping my fingers crossed!

The car was purchased from Stebbings near Kings Lynn just over a month ago.

I've got Hitchin Audi looking into it, and I've also started an email trail with Stebbings regarding it, so at least there's things in writing in case I have to take things further.

The only thing making me feel any better about it is the discrepancy of the mileage in 2014. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Has the car changed owners in that time?

No, one previous owner according to the V5 doc

Think it's fairly likely to be a mistake then.
With mine it had changed owners a number of times and could clearly see who had clocked it. The ECU/Clocks must have been changed on mine too as scanned with VCDS and came up with the mileage that was on the clock I.e 85k.

Worth checking on VagCom though.

Fwiw my thoughts are typos - according to your print out the first long life service was at 60k?

And then Audi honoured a warranty claim a few months later at 21k.

Then as above it did another 40k in a year.

Much more likely to have been serviced at c17k, 27k and 35k or similar:)

Keeping my fingers crossed it's a mistake!

I'll see what responses I get today from Audi and Stebbings and keep you posted

Had a phone call from Stebbings today as they had been looking into it. They mentioned something that potentially could be genuine reason. The mileage when recorded could well have been taken down as a km reading, not miles. (The units of measure were never stated on the service documents). Howver I purchased the vehicle with approx 46,250 miles, and converting 75,315km shown on the service record into miles gives approx 46,800 miles - a good 550 mile difference.

Stebbings have however offered for me to take the car to Audi for them to scan it. (I take it they use VCDS?) I'm not too familier with what can and can't be done with VCDS, but will scanning reveal if anything has been tampered with?

Had a phone call from Stebbings today as they had been looking into it. They mentioned something that potentially could be genuine reason. The mileage when recorded could well have been taken down as a km reading, not miles. (The units of measure were never stated on the service documents). Howver I purchased the vehicle with approx 46,250 miles, and converting 75,315km shown on the service record into miles gives approx 46,800 miles - a good 550 mile difference.

Stebbings have however offered for me to take the car to Audi for them to scan it. (I take it they use VCDS?) I'm not too familier with what can and can't be done with VCDS, but will scanning reveal if anything has been tampered with?

Could easily have been marked in km.. VCDS will be what they use, sometimes if you have a fault with the car it will show a fault code and that fault code may have come up before and therefore would show the mileage at the time it had the fault. It should also tell you straight away what the mileage is on the ECU like I said before.

I've heard a couple of years ago that when they do mileage correction there are two sort of "areas" where the mileage is stored. Most people when they clock it, only clock the first one, but Audi can see the second one and therefore can verify the correct mileage. Something like that, I don't know if it is true or not.

That's good to hear then! Stebbings have offered to foot the bill for Audi to check it out, so I'll get it booked in as soon as

Thanks all!

There is thousands of people doing this now, for very little money within a couple of minutes.

I know someone which gets his odometer clocked before he get's his MOT done every year, it costs him £30 and they change the mileage on the ECU as well as the dash so you are unable to tell unless a fault is stored like you said but then still the rest of the year can be clocked.

It makes you think, you might as well buy an high mileage car because more than likely it will be genuine and much cheaper to buy. Low mileage cars can not be trusted at all! Even one which buys a car new, could be increasing his return value for when he/she want's to get a new car