Sportback Mileage Muncher RS3 8v1

Arnis Kleins

Reaction score
Hi all,

Interested to get other owner/enthusiast opinion on this.
Had my pride and joy (RS3 8v1) just over a year now.
Bought it June 2018 with 27500 on the clock and in my opinion really well specced out.

Currently car has somewhere around 45000 on clock and I am loving it and planning on doing much more miles and start mods soon as well.

However, from speaking to other owners. Most of them seem to be garage queens and people are constantly worrying about putting miles on the cars, residual value and warranty. Most people have like a golf gtd or work van as a daily.

Generally they pull the RS3 out once in a while to go for a drive, car shows or post it on instagram that they have RS3 but they do not drive it, in my opinion that's complete joke.

This got me thinking, am I wrong in putting so many miles on the car and enjoying it as a it should be, maybe I should get a daily driver. But than again if I get a daily driver what's the point in RS3, at end of the day it still a car and cars are meant to be driven.

What are your opinions on putting a lot of miles on these cars, them being garage queens and so on?

Reactions: NevMan, sve170 and Marshy
My view is that these cars are meant to be driven. They make a perfect daily driver, yeah a diesel A3 would be better on fuel, tyres and brakes but not much fun.

Keep doing the miles and enjoy it. This type of car is a dying breed.

Reactions: NevMan, sve170, DW81 and 2 others
Hi all,

Interested to get other owner/enthusiast opinion on this.
Had my pride and joy (RS3 8v1) just over a year now.
Bought it June 2018 with 27500 on the clock and in my opinion really well specced out.

Currently car has somewhere around 45000 on clock and I am loving it and planning on doing much more miles and start mods soon as well.

However, from speaking to other owners. Most of them seem to be garage queens and people are constantly worrying about putting miles on the cars, residual value and warranty. Most people have like a golf gtd or work van as a daily.

Generally they pull the RS3 out once in a while to go for a drive, car shows or post it on instagram that they have RS3 but they do not drive it, in my opinion that's complete joke.

This got me thinking, am I wrong in putting so many miles on the car and enjoying it as a it should be, maybe I should get a daily driver. But than again if I get a daily driver what's the point in RS3, at end of the day it still a car and cars are meant to be driven.

What are your opinions on putting a lot of miles on these cars, them being garage queens and so on?

Used all of my RS3’s over the past 7 years everyday even with the option of other vehicles in the household

I never understand those that have an RS3 or any car for that matter, then leave it sat in the garage, bonkers.

Cars are meant to be used it’s what they are designed for.

I think some people are of the mindset if it’s 10-15 years old with only 5000 miles on then they will get a lot more come sale time, maybe they will from a private sale, but why miss out driving it whenever you can?

Especially with the advent of electric cars, which IS happening, VW advert on the TV last night promoting the I.D range.

Reactions: NevMan, DW81, Dan_DJT and 1 other person
Mine was a daily, 41k miles in 2.5 years. Too good to be a garage queen imho.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan and Dan_DJT
When I get mine in Sept it’s going to be a daily driver. No point spending £50k for it to live in the garage - may as well convert the garage and increase your house value by the same amount or more...:yes:

Reactions: NevMan and sve170
I drive mine every chance i can get.
It’s an event every single time. I had an S3 prior which was fantastic, but the RS3 is a different beast.

Reactions: Terminator x
The RS3 is my daily car and I enjoy it every minute.
Now with the brake light on and the pads and discs on back order ..
I take my misses car a lot more.. (Audi S1)
But I Will be very happy when the brakes arrive !!

Thanks guys for your input, glad to see that there are people out there that enjoy their cars as much as I do.
The more I read through this, the more I feel like I'm doing the right thing

Reactions: NevMan
still dont have one yet but it will be the same as all my other cars......

They are meant to be driven :racer::rockwoot:

Mine is 20 months old and I’m taking it for the 20k service on Wednesday. I don’t need the car for work because I’m so close so most of the time it stays in the garage. So all my mileage is leisure, a lot wasted going back and forth shops etc.

Against popular opinion I’ve just bought a second car today. I want to keep the RS as a forever car and because of that I can’t keep piling this mileage onto it, needs to be kept low. I will still use it when I want to but the runs to shops and motorway slogs will be done in the daily now, use the RS on days out and when I can appreciate it. I don’t always use the RS already, jump in and out of the other 3 cars I’m insured on so will be interesting to see how much the annual mileage drops by.

Standing by for abuse haha. I don’t use it enough now to satisfy it’s always an occasion, but this will preserve the car for years to come and will make it all the more exciting when I do drive it :icon thumright: Genuinely nothing I know I can afford that could replace the RS3 it’s an amazing car, couldn’t find a better all rounder and the new ones are going downhill... so she’s a keeper.

Plus I’m a big fan of the daily..... ready to collect tonight can’t wait.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Marshy and millsy75
It's more of a waste of money to spend less money on a car you don't like, than more money on one you love.

Reactions: sve170
It's more of a waste of money to spend less money on a car you don't like, than more money on one you love.

That’s the thing I love the car I’ve bought too, really like the old generation of Audi’s... get equal enjoyment out of driving them.. not the performance but just love them.

Don’t see the point of not driving the RS3, not like it’s an Elise or something impractical, they are the quintessential every day performance car.

If you’re not losing money in extra depreciation from higher miles, you’ll be spending it running a second car ;)

But each to their own and whatever makes people happy, would be a dull world if everyone was the same.

For me my cars are there to be driven, the odd time I’ve ended up running two cars one hardly ever gets taken out.

Having other ‘fun’ stuff to drive is different, but even then I found things didn’t get used much (one S2000 I once ran as a second car covered about 200 miles in a year, spent the rest of the time sitting in the garage, what a waste!).

I wouldn’t mind an Elise/Exige though to go along with the RS ;)

I got my car in February 2018 and coming on almost 18 months I have done 34,000 miles.

I do wish I had driven it less but not because I don’t want to enjoy it - but because fuel is so expensive now compared to even at the start of the year.

I have had 2 services to date at my local garage with genuine Audi parts, and one set of new pads. I had some squeaking the last month or so probably from brakes but it seems to have stopped now (I can’t decide if that’s good or bad as I didn’t get it checked out).

I have had one set of front wheels due to the uneven wear issue. My rear tyres are still fine. When its time to change my rear tyres I may get the slightly wider ones as my setup was not staggered.

I love the car, everyday I get in it and I open the flaps the noise it makes is amazing. Also overtaking anyone pretty much at will. As I said only negatives are fuel cost and also driving that much means I have plenty of minor scratches and scrapes on the car (which I have used touch up pain on - particularly the rear quarter behind the wheels continually keeps getting scratches probably from people driving or parking too close).

Reactions: AudiNutta and s3bow
I’ve had my facelift since jan 18 done 32k on it so far...2 services just fitted brembo front pads..no point buying a car looking at it and like everyone else there is nothing out there I would rather have in the RS3 price range great car and a keeper may be last of these cars with electric going to become the norm in the future..

Reactions: AudiNutta
I use my current car as a daily driver, and would do exactly the same if I had an RS3.
Mileage currently on 4700 at 14 months old. :innocent:

Probably should mention my work is only 6 miles from home. :relaxed:

In all seriousness though, I don't know how you guys that do 20k + miles per year in RS cars can afford to put petrol in them! :fearscream:
Ok I could afford it.....but just wouldn't!

Agreed. The rs3 (at least in my eyes) is a daily car. I understand having a garage queen which you rarely take out but I'm talking about something like a gt3 rs or carrera gt.

Reactions: NevMan and DW81
Don’t see the point of not driving the RS3, not like it’s an Elise or something impractical, they are the quintessential every day performance car.

If you’re not losing money in extra depreciation from higher miles, you’ll be spending it running a second car ;)

But each to their own and whatever makes people happy, would be a dull world if everyone was the same.

For me my cars are there to be driven, the odd time I’ve ended up running two cars one hardly ever gets taken out.

Having other ‘fun’ stuff to drive is different, but even then I found things didn’t get used much (one S2000 I once ran as a second car covered about 200 miles in a year, spent the rest of the time sitting in the garage, what a waste!).

I wouldn’t mind an Elise/Exige though to go along with the RS ;)

Totally usable yes and perfect every day, but I'm just putting too many miles on it. It's not a motorway mile munching diesel, keep using them as they're intended to and the engine is likely going to need 'major' attention in later years :shrug: A 150,000 mile RS won't be desirable to many.

I will see how it goes now I've got the second car, how much I use the RS... because it is there to be used for sure.

I use my current car as a daily driver, and would do exactly the same if I had an RS3.
Mileage currently on 4700 at 14 months old. :innocent:

Probably should mention my work is only 6 miles from home. :relaxed:

In all seriousness though, I don't know how you guys that do 20k + miles per year in RS cars can afford to put petrol in them! :fearscream:
Ok I could afford it.....but just wouldn't!

I work 0.5 miles away from the house ;) Hence no car necessary.

Mine does 12-13k a year or at the moment does, total fuel cost for 20k miles is £4800.

I can’t understand the big deal of putting miles on a rs3, it’s just that a very fast practical production car.
Anyone would think we were driving around in limited run maclarens or Ferrari’s :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: NevMan, Rs1, Dan_DJT and 1 other person
A 150,000 mile RS won't be desirable to many.

If keeping as a for ever car why does that matter? :)

End of the day you’ll pay for doing the miles one way or another, either on just running the RS3 or by the costs associated with running a whole other car as well.

Unless you plan on some bangernomics for the second car, but there’s still hassle there any why drive something crap with an RS sat there ;)

Reactions: NevMan and DW81
Cheers guys for interacting with the thread, nice to see owners actually enjoying their cars to the fullest (even thought not most sensible due to cost but who cars eh)

As per that AudiNutta said, there won't be any abuse man haha just difference of opinions really. Don't get me wrong RS3 is a special car but it will never be classic such as Ur Quattro or the S2 Avant thus will not appreciate in price. I don't think it will need any major work such as engine overhaul even with miles on it, as long as its warmed up properly, correct fluids and parts used and an owner with a little bit of common sense. I work on my own car so it's a bit different than someone who takes it to a garage as I don't have to deal with extortionate labour costs.

don't get me wrong but its just turning RS3 into garage queen is like, not sleeping with your wife to keep her fresh for the next guy. I know a bit extreme but you get my point.

The more I think about it, the more it doesn't make sense to me to get a daily and lock RS3 away, so I'm thinking about doing completely opposite to that. Use RS3 as daily and get a garage queen that I can work on and show off, been thinking a lot about BMW 840 E31.

As per the fuel comment, I don't even want to calculate how much fuel I used during my ownership so far lol rather not give myself the headache.

But definitely not cutting down on mileage because of cost of fuel or possible depreciation while it's in my ownership it will accumulate ton of miles.

Thanks for interacting with the thread guys, keep em coming. Nice to see different opinions. :)

Reactions: AudiNutta and DW81
Mine (65PFL) is a daily drive. A couple of days driving around town, then a couple of days on A roads/M6/M61 going to work. Over the 18 months I have had it I have averaged 29.6mpg. If it was solely the work drive it would be 34-35.

I think you can take this car for granted. I'm lucky that I could own it outright, but I've lost count of the number of people who've come up to me in the pub to talk about the car. They love the performance and sound and make me realise how lucky I am to have it.

Just starting the car brings a smile to my face, and the performance for a 5 door is fantastic.

I just can't see what I could replace this with.

Reactions: NevMan, AudiNutta, Rs1 and 2 others
Mine (65PFL) is a daily drive. A couple of days driving around town, then a couple of days on A roads/M6/M61 going to work. Over the 18 months I have had it I have averaged 29.6mpg. If it was solely the work drive it would be 34-35.

I think you can take this car for granted. I'm lucky that I could own it outright, but I've lost count of the number of people who've come up to me in the pub to talk about the car. They love the performance and sound and make me realise how lucky I am to have it.

Just starting the car brings a smile to my face, and the performance for a 5 door is fantastic.

I just can't see what I could replace this with.
This.
I’ve only ever had good attention in mine.
A few times been stopped at the lights next to another car and they’ve wound down the window to tell me how nice it is.

Reactions: Rs1 and DW81
I work 0.5 miles away from the house ;) Hence no car necessary.
Mine does 12-13k a year or at the moment does, total fuel cost for 20k miles is £4800.
That's a lot of purely leisure miles......I would not be able to do that with my current lifestyle. :innocent:
Going back to my original point, would you be willing to pay that for petrol in only one year like some people do here?
Don't get me wrong....if money was low on my list of considerations I would think nothing of driving a V12 monster the length and breadth of the UK with not a care in the world, but unfortunately it is so the line has to be drawn at some point. :(

I was thinking about this the other day as well - I'm in for 15k mile annually with mine (2016 PFL) - I use it every day, for work, leisure everything, and I'm all over the country with it.

And as per @txosbi - I know how lucky I am to have this thing, and I cannot think what I would replace this car with that would compare with it.

Reactions: AudiNutta
That's a lot of purely leisure miles......I would not be able to do that with my current lifestyle. :innocent:
Going back to my original point, would you be willing to pay that for petrol in only one year like some people do here?
Don't get me wrong....if money was low on my list of considerations I would think nothing of driving a V12 monster the length and breadth of the UK with not a care in the world, but unfortunately it is so the line has to be drawn at some point. :(

For me personally, I don't mind filling it up when it needs filling up, I don't really calculate how much I spend on fuel. Don't get me wrong money doesn't fall from the sky and I cant drive around in V12 monsters but I work hard for what I have so why not enjoy it. I don't see myself being able to take money with me when I die. Of course there are other priorities in life such as family, having your own home and so on.

But if you are able to do it why not, that's the way I look at it for me at least.
Just met few other owners who been having daily drivers and RS3 as weekend car, that's why the original question arose.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Rs1
Have always found it bizarre when people treat RS3s like this. It's entire purpose is to be a practical, daily-able performance car. I love the car but it's not the type of thing I'd only bring out at weekends to go for a drive down by favourite road, it's a do-it-all performance car.

I have an RS3 because I only have space for a single car and need something that can do everything well. If I had a 2 car setup the RS3 probably would not feature.

Drive that car, thats what its made for. These cars are nowhere near as mileage sensitive on the used market as people think.

Reactions: NevMan and Matt2010
I can’t understand the big deal of putting miles on a rs3, it’s just that a very fast practical production car.
Anyone would think we were driving around in limited run maclarens or Ferrari’s :tearsofjoy:

Mine is as good of a Ferrari as I will ever get ;) Guarantee I look after it better than most Ferrari owners look after theirs haha.....

If keeping as a for ever car why does that matter? :)

End of the day you’ll pay for doing the miles one way or another, either on just running the RS3 or by the costs associated with running a whole other car as well.

Unless you plan on some bangernomics for the second car, but there’s still hassle there any why drive something **** with an RS sat there ;)

Because of general wear and tear and it being a highly strung performance engine, day will come when it needs a lot more the regular servicing I’m sure.

I’ve got a second car I really enjoy driving, always love them so I will enjoy driving both... perfect line up for me. Drove the RS today though for about 10 miles and love it, I will never get bored of switching between and the excitement that comes with the RS.

It is a lot yes, so the car has been used to a great extent up until now and will continue to be.

It’s not about being willing, I just fill it up... made the choice when I bought the car. Aim to not go over £250 in fuel a month, if it needs it I put it in and pay the fuel bill off when I get paid simple as. I’d never not drive the car because I don’t want to put fuel in, not that I’m well off by any means as it all goes into buying the car in the first place. Don’t think I’ve ever gone much over £300 a month, but thinking of it right now that’s a lot of money to just put in an burn haha.

Oh well, don’t get those smiles per gallon for nothing. Runaround is now capable of 50+mpg easily, will be saving on fuel for the less desirable driving when I don’t choose the RS that’s for sure.

Reactions: Ron240
Had mine 18 month and put 22k on clock I didn’t buy it to not drive it

Just out of curiosity, has anybody here that bought their RS3 brand new paid for the speed limiter to be removed which increases top speed to 174mph?
The cost is currently £1600. :fearscream:
I wouldn't be surprised if this is all software based and takes minutes to do.
Have to say though that unrestricted top speed seems quite low, considering a 320PS Honda Civic has a standard top speed of 169mph.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, has anybody here that bought their RS3 brand new paid for the speed limiter to be removed which increases top speed to 174mph?
Have to say though that unrestricted top speed seems quite low, considering a 320PS Honda Civic has a standard top speed of 169mph.
It will have another limiter at 174mph. O/T but the M5 has a 155 limiter which can be removed giving a top speed of 194 afaik albeit that again is another limiter!

TX.

It will have another limiter at 174mph. O/T but the M5 has a 155 limiter which can be removed giving a top speed of 194 afaik albeit that again is another limiter!
Yeah I thought as much....but to my mind this highlights how much of a rip off the £1600 charge by Audi is.

The S3 also has a speed limiter at 155mph. :innocent:

Yeah I thought as much....but to my mind this highlights how much of a rip off the £1600 charge by Audi is.

The S3 also has a speed limiter at 155mph. :innocent:
The funniest thing is that as you suspected Audi only have to untick a box using ODIS or whatever it is called :tearsofjoy: VCDS won't do it :(

TX.

Reactions: NevMan and Ron240

To be fair even if I was speccing new car up I wouldn't pick it as an option, for two reasons. Firstly you actually don't know if the car limited, because my car doesn't have that ticked as an option but there is no limiter, go figure.
Secondly why spend £1600 on a limiter removal when less than that money can be used for remap which will give more power and will take the limiter away anyway if it's there.

I agree.....in fact I will go one step further and say the option shouldn't even be available on UK cars.
Apart from the obvious reason, if anybody is silly enough to pay it all they are doing is outrageously lining Audi's pockets.

TX.

A colleague picks up his M5 comp this week. We looked up the true derestricted top speed and apparently it’s 205mph!!! :wtf:

Daily car also. 35k. Stage 1 soon to be stage 2