Mike's S3 thread

vivalacoulter

Reaction score
Well my clutch has started slipping during long pulls on the motorway, so I'm booked in Badger 5 tomorrow for some work.

New LUK clutch kit, DMF, Sach friction plate as suggested by Bill.

Gearbox and diff oil change.

Engine oil and filter change.

New oil level sensor.

Replace split CV boot.

Quite a bit of work then, long day expected. Bought the boys some treats for all their advice over the last year or so, nice chaps!

Next, I'll be ordering some H&R anti roll bars, and some Bilstein B8 shocks from DPM Performance. Can't wait to see how this alters the ride.

And finally, off to Bills for all the engine work to be done. Once I gather all the money together that is. (Depends how many 60 odd hour weeks I can stand)... It won't be Gops power sadly, as I have neither the money or the stomach for it! Nice BBT k04 stroker I'm thinking :)

Uploadfromtaptalk1444643707462

Here we go :)

Been having a few issues starting over the last month, and I had a weird issue with my reversing lights yesterday.

So popped back today and Bill (plus his contortionist sidekick Nathan) sorted me a new crank sensor and reverse light switch :)

Anyone ever had the passenger window just not work? It went up yesterday but wouldn't go back down... We could hear the controller click inside, but no movement?

Strange things 13 year old cars ehy :)

But on another note, that luk/Sach paddle clutch combo is the dogs business! :)

The faulty window turned out just being the window having a fit...

Disconnecting the battery for a bit and then holding the window buttons all the way down and then all the way back up fixed it :)

Today, a four wheel balance for the old girl. Poor thing doesn't get a rest.

12087871 10156253118580106 1033525321580575458 o

The new aerial base solved my issues. Easy enough to replace as well mate.

I've the same problem with my aerial but just left it as I thought it was a nightmare to change as the headlining had to be removed ?

No, I think you get to it via removing the rear map reading lights, and undo a nut :)

I changed the seal on the aerial base getting in that way but there isn't a way to disconnect the aerial that I could see. I damaged my aerial by over tightening the nut .

Hmm I'm not too sure then, I'll have a gander when mine arrives and try to work it out. Fairly sure the lining can stay in place though.

Haha, this is my attempt at stopping my girlfriend from criticising my CD collection...

Reactions: moisty
Lol anything for an easy life . Love the colour of your S3 gotta be one of the best colours

Let me know how it goes with that replacement! Mine's seal is cracked, would be nice to replace it, but I also thought it was a huge pain.

It's easy enough. Open the boot and remove the top piece of facia (not sure how to describe it) and you should be able to pull down the headlining enough to see the nut/bolt.
Then take out the rear light/controls in the rear of the cars headlining. Can be a bit fiddly but easy once you work it out.
Be carefull when re-doing the nut as if it's to tight you will pull in the roof! Hope this helps lads.

Edit : the aerial may be molded into place if it's been there 14 years.. But once you have removed the nut it should wobble free.

Let me know how it goes with that replacement! Mine's seal is cracked, would be nice to replace it, but I also thought it was a huge pain.

Seal is easy just buy one off ebay then remove rear light, loosen nut and the aerial lifts off. Cut the old seal off then heat the new one in boiling water and stretch it over the base . As George said be carefull when tightening the nut. I over tightened mine and now have a poor signal.

DSC_0176.jpg

Reactions: vivalacoulter
Seal is easy just buy one off ebay then remove rear light, loosen nut and the aerial lifts off. Cut the old seal off then heat the new one in boiling water and stretch it over the base . As George said be carefull when tightening the nut. I over tightened mine and now have a poor signal
@GeorgieS3 mentioned removing the roof lining?

Aye thats for changing the base not the seal. You can change the seal with the wire still connected if you slide it over the base. To change the base you need to remove roof lining to disconnet the wire .

I might have a go tomorrow depending how healthy i feel . Still have a bad feeling that a few bits of trim have to be taken off to be able to remove the top trim that georgie is talking about .

Don't remove it all just enough at the rear to get your hands in. I thought just my seal was nakerd so went to replace it and realised the hole thing was water damaged . Easy fix though.

If you open the boot it's the one piece of trim the goes across the top. That's all the trim you need to remove and it's 4 clips I think.

Should just pull out, I used a flathead to prize it slowly. Didn't want to break any of the clips.

Will do.

If its just the seal, there's replacement kits on eBay. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=301412496385&alt=web
Seal is easy just buy one off ebay then remove rear light, loosen nut and the aerial lifts off. Cut the old seal off then heat the new one in boiling water and stretch it over the base . As George said be carefull when tightening the nut. I over tightened mine and now have a poor signal.
Wonderful! I think I was always postponing this because it seemed like such a pain, but now there's just no excuse at all not to do it. I'm not even concerned about loosing reception... I imported my car from Japan, and their radio frequencies are different from the ones we use where I live. So basically, I have only 3 radio stations to listen to, all of them crappy. And since aftermarket radios don't really look all that nice, CDs and tape adapter are my thing at the moment.

Wonderful! I think I was always postponing this because it seemed like such a pain, but now there's just no excuse at all not to do it. I'm not even concerned about loosing reception... I imported my car from Japan, and their radio frequencies are different from the ones we use where I live. So basically, I have only 3 radio stations to listen to, all of them crappy. And since aftermarket radios don't really look all that nice, CDs and tape adapter are my thing at the moment.

Tape adapters were the best thing since sliced bread when I had my old Golf!

Reactions: Ivan Fuentes Hagar
Gave it a go today and turned out it was pretty straight forward.

First remove roof lining trim ( when standing facing into boot you can get your fingers under the trim at the front and pull down)
Now if you pull roof lining down and look at the very backof the roof in the middle you'll see the aerial connector, this is held on with a clip and cable tie. Disconnect connector this is the worst bit.
Pop the rear lights down and unscrew the nut holding aerial in and remove aerial.

Hardest bit was seperating the connector .

Reactions: GeorgieS3
Well my replacement still hasn't arrived, but I had a look under the rear light and the aerial connector is right next to the hole?

Seems very tight mind, not looking forward to that.

You can get your hand in for the boot side. It is tight but you will be fine

Yes mine wasn't attatched to anytbhng just loose under the headlining. The connector is a bit tricky, took me a while because I didn't want to snap it. Can't remember the technique to seperate it unfortunately.

Go in through the light hole with a 17mm spanner and loosen the bolt a wee bit then it can be turned by finger. I used a set of grips on the connector to push in 2 clips and then pull the other side out