MIGGZ's A3 1.8t - The all rounder build thread

ok so iv managed to get hold a notebook so here goes to engine rebuild day 2

big thanks to mate richard for coming over last night to drop off an engine stand and engine crane.
and even bigger thanks to dwayne for coming over and helping to remove the motor.

so after removing dp and side shafts the motor was nearly ready to come out just had to take the mounts off

IMG-20130204-00034.jpg

IMG-20130204-00037.jpg

IMG-20130204-00035.jpg

485321_10151712496455884_218897818_n-1.jpg

so while the motor was on the crane we decided to take some "omg im so strong" pics lol

542768_10151712494525884_2008458066_n.jpg

IMG-20130204-00038.jpg

IMG-20130204-00039.jpg

IMG-20130204-00040.jpg

IMG-20130204-00041.jpg

IMG-20130204-00043.jpg

cranks is bent to
IMG-20130205-00045.jpg

there is ahole right thru the block lol!!! i did a good job

IMG-20130205-00049.jpg

IMG-20130205-00051.jpg

iv removed the head and so far found only 1 valve bent but not 100% sure as yet. the head is going into the engineering shop tomorrow anyway for new seals, guides and some flow work so they will go thru all the valves anyway

IMG-20130205-00046.jpg

IMG-20130205-00047.jpg

IMG-20130205-00048.jpg

and after i loaded the head into a box and packed it with some foam i decided to put some degreaser and a brush to the box

IMG-20130205-00053.jpg

IMG-20130205-00052.jpg

just an update on the motor build.

my awesome mates at G-tec (lee) and Unitronic (yosh), has organized me a new set of AUM pistons, IE rods, new bearings, a nice clean block and a sump. they are going to be building it for me then once its ready ill be going to pick it up. they are really going out of their way for me so lots of beers and asian strippers need to get sent that way with love from me

Glad the car is on the mend and hopefully coming back stronger and faster than before as it is a very nice looking A3 :)

We love Yosh and Lee!!!! Love the gearbox dude!!! Couldn't have done it better... I've taught u well my son...

Glad the car is on the mend and hopefully coming back stronger and faster than before as it is a very nice looking A3 :)

thanks dude it will be fixed soon! i like it to much to get rid of it hahahah
im hoping to finish it in 2 weeks

Dude, the inside of your turbo, and the first few inches of your downpipe are INCREDIBLY white!

I'm not completely sure, but I don't think this is a good sign. My old dead ko3S was white around the broken bits, and I've seen turbos that have run too hot and lean turning things white also in the past....

I'd seek advice from a higher being before bolting it all back together and potentially having turbo issues as well.

1 step a head of you sir the turbo is going to yosh at unitronic tomorrow to show him already lol

1 step a head of you sir the turbo is going to yosh at unitronic tomorrow to show him already lol

If he mapped it though, I imagine he'd be reluctant to admit there was a problem with a lean map...

so just a little update but no pictures.

went to drop my head off at g-tec yesterday, and they seem very happy with it so far which makes me happy lol
so what they going to be doing with the head is doing seals, guides and while its there they might as well port the head and match port the intake.

i currently use the powerflex for the dog bone mount and my drivers side engine mount seems like it has seen better days so replacing both mounts now with some poly stuff to.

saw my bottom end that lee at g-tec organized and it still looks so fresh so very happy with that. they have organized me a set of new aum pistons for nearly nothing so i wont complain about that, yosh from unitronic has got me a set of IE rods and bearings which is going into the block and everything is going in for balancing.

the list of parts that im needing is building up lol, im going to be replacing clutch as well to single mass while everything is opened up to make my life easier, althou the clutch did get replaced at 40 000km ago but knowing my luck it will prob break 10 000km later and i will want to burn this car lol

tonight im going to clean off my block and see what needs to come off it and put all the parts in 1 place to assemble the motor later.

anyway thats it for now lol

so just a little update but no pictures.

went to drop my head off at g-tec yesterday, and they seem very happy with it so far which makes me happy lol
so what they going to be doing with the head is doing seals, guides and while its there they might as well port the head and match port the intake.

i currently use the powerflex for the dog bone mount and my drivers side engine mount seems like it has seen better days so replacing both mounts now with some poly stuff to.

saw my bottom end that lee at g-tec organized and it still looks so fresh so very happy with that. they have organized me a set of new aum pistons for nearly nothing so i wont complain about that, yosh from unitronic has got me a set of IE rods and bearings which is going into the block and everything is going in for balancing.

the list of parts that im needing is building up lol, im going to be replacing clutch as well to single mass while everything is opened up to make my life easier, althou the clutch did get replaced at 40 000km ago but knowing my luck it will prob break 10 000km later and i will want to burn this car lol

tonight im going to clean off my block and see what needs to come off it and put all the parts in 1 place to assemble the motor later.

anyway thats it for now lol

Keep the old clutch as a door stop ;-)

ill keep it incase yours breaks lol

Haha Thanks for thinking of me, if only we had this chat like a week ago...
My car is busy getting the clutch (LUK) replaced at the moment *sigh* and doing the Cambelt, water pump tensioner etc all at once..

Ps. What did you you do with your previous drilled slotted brake discs before the Big brake upgrade?

They r mine due to services rendered.... In other works for breaking my back taking the motor out... Hahahahahaha *big grin*

Just a little update nothing serious.

Yosh has organized my IE rods and my bearings whoo hoo the man is a machine.
On a sad note thou, looks like that 1 valve that bent so badly has some complication and might have damaged the guide surrounding. I will know later today if its serious or not.

ebyjy2yn.jpg

a2e8eqag.jpg

so a little update got most of the parts on tuesday

my valeo clutch kit
IMG-20130212-00059.jpg

my old clutch plate
IMG-20130212-00060.jpg

fly
IMG-20130212-00061.jpg

pressure plate
IMG-20130212-00062.jpg

new clutch
IMG-20130212-00065.jpg

new single mass fly
IMG-20130212-00064.jpg

new pressure plate
IMG-20130212-00063.jpg

new head chain, crank chain and crank chain tensioner
IMG-20130212-00066.jpg

oil filter, thermostat, oil pump
IMG-20130212-00066.jpg

rear crank seal, turbo gasket, some clips and o rings
IMG-20130212-00068.jpg

cam belt, bottle lid and the new g13
IMG-20130212-00069.jpg

got bored and decided to clean my injectors and fuel rail
IMG-20130212-00070.jpg

IMG-20130212-00071.jpg

IMG-20130212-00072.jpg

IMG-20130212-00073.jpg

sent my tappet cover and intake for some black textured powdercoating.
should get my front crank housing, pulley tensioner and a few other things today

Miggs, it could just be the pic, but that turbo gasket looks suspicious to me!

Is it one of the double layer perforated jobbies like the ebay ones? or a proper steel one?

Miggs, it could just be the pic, but that turbo gasket looks suspicious to me!

Is it one of the double layer perforated jobbies like the ebay ones? or a proper steel one?

its the double layer one? always use that gasket? whats wrong with it?

order genuine from audi mate, the gasket you get should be like 2 thin sheets of decent quality steel. It might even be stainless, I'm not sure, but they don't look like yours!

order genuine from audi mate, the gasket you get should be like 2 thin sheets of decent quality steel. It might even be stainless, I'm not sure, but they don't look like yours!

not a stress dude already ordered it should have it by the end of today i hope

cant wait till it's back on the road...

I can only imagine how your anxiety is setting in, the closer you get to completion!

cant wait till it's back on the road...

I can only imagine how your anxiety is setting in, the closer you get to completion!

Yeah dude I am hey fml I need my car back.... So I can do a nice run on the dyno and show Jardo my manly strength!

And iv been told I have a manly rod

2u8u2equ.jpg

Miggles, was your cam cover sand blasted before being powder coated? Did they remove the baffle before doing so?

Might be worth a check, I've known a few guys have cam covers shot blasted and then powdercoated with the baffle in place still, and they've gone on to have serious engine issues caused by oil blockages where inside the baffle has been full of grit, and it's made it's way down into the engine!

Might be worth a check, I've known a few guys have cam covers shot blasted and then powdercoated with the baffle in place still, and they've gone on to have serious engine issues caused by oil blockages where inside the baffle has been full of grit, and it's made it's way down into the engine!

Just breathed in there now and its free flowing

not about free flowing dude, it's about loose grit particles which may be in there from the blasting process, which work their way out through the holes and into the head when oil starts flowing around.

If it was acid dipped and not blasted then no worries, if it was blasted I'd be removing the plate to be extra sure.

not about free flowing dude, it's about loose grit particles which may be in there from the blasting process, which work their way out through the holes and into the head when oil starts flowing around.

If it was acid dipped and not blasted then no worries, if it was blasted I'd be removing the plate to be extra sure.

Like I said I'm pretty sure it was dipped as I see no marks on the inside and it looks like it was washed. But ill go thru it anyway and clean

So a nice +-30degree sunday so decided to just do something on the car and clean the engine bay of 10years crap and some oil that splashed everywhere due to the block breaking.
Now I did not sit with a earbud and toothbrush cleaning everything so its not perfect

pegy7e3e.jpg

udasyhyn.jpg

a6e7uha3.jpg

Went to go pick up my rear S3 brakes from a mate tonight. Going to get some decent pads, service kit and some paint stripper and pull these apart and get working on them. They going to be blue and I hope they make a decent upgrade vs the rear piece of**** standard brakes

ba9asyge.jpg