Microphone install location

NM07

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping to get my new head unit fitted early next week. I never ran a microphone for my previous head unit, but think I would like to this time to use Siri on CarPlay and make/receive calls if necessary.

Where have you guys run the microphone to? Ideally want to run it somewhere stealthy. I don't really want to run it to the top of the A pillar as I have the light grey headliner in mine, and the black mic would stick out like a sore thumb.

I was thinking potentially on top of the steering cowl? Would be directly in front of me so mic quality should be good, and the cowl and mic are both black so should blend in nicely.

I unfortunately can't mount it in the overhead light area as some people do (see video), as my car has an interior alarm motion sensor in that recess:

I'd be interested to see pics of anyone's current mic install location, in case there is a better way than my idea above!

Fit it in the same place as the OEM unit, works a treat, may need to modify your mic to fit but should be fine.

I thought the OEM unit was installed into the lighting unit (in the video attached). But on some cars (like mine), that location contains a motion sensor for the alarm so I can't use it.

Mine already has something installed in this recess:

Screen Shot 2023 05 21 at 134058 pm

There is a specific aperture in that light unit for the MIC, thats not it if i recal.

Reactions: NHN
You sure Rob? That recess in my picture is the only location that has a cutout on the fascia of the lighting unit:

I can't see where else it would mount.

Ah, nope, you're totally right Rob, just found this guide:

Now to figure out a way to mount the aftermarket mic there nicely...

Reactions: Charlie Farley
You sure Rob? That recess in my picture is the only location that has a cutout on the fascia of the lighting unit:

View attachment 267463

I can't see where else it would mount.
Microphone sits in that grated rectangular hole, done it many times for aftermarket head units.

@NHN is it an easy task to remove the PCB to gain access to that grated hole?

Attachments

• 1684674003400.png
    1684674003400.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 52
Pull the fuse when messing around with that, just in case you short out one of those contacts, i found out the hard way many moons ago.:icon thumright:

Progress has been made!

I had to shave down the microphone's plastic housing, but got it to a size where it slotted in snugly to the original microphone aperture, and used a tiny dab of epoxy to secure it in place. Plugged the microphone into my computer and gave it a test and all seems to be working perfectly!

IMG 2937

Once that has cured overnight, I'll get it fitted back to the car tomorrow and run the wire down to the head unit.

Thanks everyone for your help! :icon thumright:

Reactions: Gmac and Charlie Farley
mine lives here.
easy to fit and easy to remove.
IMG 6908

Reactions: NM07
I thought the OEM unit was installed into the lighting unit (in the video attached). But on some cars (like mine), that location contains a motion sensor for the alarm so I can't use it.
I moved one of the sensors slightly out of the way to fit my microphone in one of the holes, since the original is a square thing and I didn't want to completely remove it. It doesn't actually affect to any great degree the alarm system and anywhere near there is the perfect placement for a microphone. Always had a strong signal for calls and voice activation. There is a way to use the original microphone by rewiring it but as I say I wanted to keep that intact.