Sportback Michellin ps4s?

Honestly they were absolutely perfect for the 7 weeks they were on before I swapped on my winter wheels which are 235 all round .

Will be going back on at end of this month with wheels freshly ceramic coated

Reactions: frank71RS3
Honestly they were absolutely perfect for the 7 weeks they were on before I swapped on my winter wheels which are 235 all round .

Will be going back on at end of this month with wheels freshly ceramic coated

Thanks for the info, I don't see why they wouldn't be as you say. I suspect people's TC issues are just general traction control "nannying" with the car which is super annoying even on OE tyres.

I have NO idea how likely an insurance company is to deny a claim due to running 245/35 square on staggered setup tho.

I run 255/30 19s square. Turn in, steering and grip are better than p zero. They ride a little better as well on bumps. There is a little more noise, a slight hum. No traction light issues. The staggered Pirelli did set of the traction. Btw there is an Audi fix to dial back the traction control sensitivity.

I know quite a few folks that run 245/35 on the stock rims and it works well.

Do you have more details on the traction fix? Is it available from any dealer do you know?

Sorry I don't have the details and I'm in Australia so my info may not be relevant.

Apart from the occasional TC light flashing my car used to do a prominent momentary power cut, jerked the whole car, when taking off, even with light throttle. This was with the stock staggered Pirellis. The TC fix got rid off that problem, but you would still have occasional TC light with hard acceleration, which is normal.

Since going to square michellins it's much harder to activate TC.

Those running 245 all round, do you rotate your tires every 10000km?

Since the staggered wheels offset are different, not as simple as swapping the wheels around.

They have to remove all the tyres to rotate them around..

Those running 245 all round, do you rotate your tires every 10000km?

Since the staggered wheels offset are different, not as simple as swapping the wheels around.

They have to remove all the tyres to rotate them around..

The offsets is different to compensate for the half inch size difference, there shouldn't be any problem in swapping wheels back to front.

Sorry I don't have the details and I'm in Australia so my info may not be relevant.

Apart from the occasional TC light flashing my car used to do a prominent momentary power cut, jerked the whole car, when taking off, even with light throttle. This was with the stock staggered Pirellis. The TC fix got rid off that problem, but you would still have occasional TC light with hard acceleration, which is normal.

Since going to square michellins it's much harder to activate TC.

Cool, I might drop in to Audi and see what they say. I have traction issues exactly as you describe on the OE Pirelli. Even if it's normal behavior, if there's a tweak, i'll take it.

Bit the bullet and gone square 235/35 on staggered wheels. Went for Michelin PS4, fitment and alignment tomorrow.

I recently moved to a PS4 squared 235 setup and it's been around 1,000 miles since I took the plunge. As my car isn't standard, I rarely drive with ESC on so cannot comment on traction light issues but what I can say is they're a completely different tyre in the wet. The grip is far better in corners but what I have noticed is some wander at higher speeds in a straight line.

I recently moved to a PS4 squared 235 setup and it's been around 1,000 miles since I took the plunge. As my car isn't standard, I rarely drive with ESC on so cannot comment on traction light issues but what I can say is they're a completely different tyre in the wet. The grip is far better in corners but what I have noticed is some wander at higher speeds in a straight line.

I had crabbing/tramlining on the OE tires to a horrid degree, so maybe it isn't the tyre choice here.

Getting Awesome to do the alignment while i'm at it. I'll report back in 1k miles or so

Hey there I'm new to the forum and enjoying reading all the different ideas and posts on our cars. Lately I've noticed that the fronts are starting to wear on the outside edge of the OEM Pirelli's while the rears are perfectly fine for just on 30k (km). If it wasn't for the staggered wheel sizes I would just swap back to front and easily do another 10k-20k on the set. After reading the different suggestions here I'm leaning towards the Michelin's which I was thinking of getting beforehand... What I'm not sure about is going the same size tyre all round on the staggered wheel. The staggered wheel and tyre sizing was optioned to try to minimise the natural understeer and even though by the sounds of it you will have more grip with the Michelin's I think having the same tyre size all round will increase the understeer... From what others have reported the Michelin PS4S 255's actually have a wider tread than the Pirelli's.. So I'm wondering has anyone tried 245-35's on the front and 235's on the rear to keep with the staggered combo??

Hey there I'm new to the forum and enjoying reading all the different ideas and posts on our cars. Lately I've noticed that the fronts are starting to wear on the outside edge of the OEM Pirelli's while the rears are perfectly fine for just on 30k (km). If it wasn't for the staggered wheel sizes I would just swap back to front and easily do another 10k-20k on the set. After reading the different suggestions here I'm leaning towards the Michelin's which I was thinking of getting beforehand... What I'm not sure about is going the same size tyre all round on the staggered wheel. The staggered wheel and tyre sizing was optioned to try to minimise the natural understeer and even though by the sounds of it you will have more grip with the Michelin's I think having the same tyre size all round will increase the understeer... From what others have reported the Michelin PS4S 255's actually have a wider tread than the Pirelli's.. So I'm wondering has anyone tried 245-35's on the front and 235's on the rear to keep with the staggered combo??

Plenty of people run 245/35 square and it works well. You won't get any additional underste er just better grip all round.

Its not recommend to run stagered michellins as they are not matched in size like the oem Pirellis are. You can even damage your haldex with different rolling diameters .

Reactions: infernox
Plenty of people run 245/35 square and it works well. You won't get any additional underste er just better grip all round.

Its not recommend to run stagered michellins as they are not matched in size like the oem Pirellis are. You can even damage your haldex with different rolling diameters .
I can't find the thread but this has been debunked in plenty of places. The diameter difference is well within the prescribed variance for the Haldex so should be find (the thread was on vwvortex that I saw)

Reactions: frank71RS3 and Count Drunkula
I can't find the thread but this has been debunked in plenty of places. The diameter difference is well within the prescribed variance for the Haldex so should be find (the thread was on vwvortex that I saw)

The traction control is very sensitive, the more difference in diameter the more active it will be. My traction activation reduced dramatically after going square.

There is almost half inch difference between the two sizes, and they will wear unevenly so the difference will become greater. There are specs on the Michelin website. If you want to be more even in size in the michellins you need to go 265 up front. Michellins themselves don't recommend staggered sizes for rs3.

The other benefit of going square is that you can rotate tyres for more even wear.

The traction control is very sensitive, the more difference in diameter the more active it will be. My traction activation reduced dramatically after going square.

There is almost half inch difference between the two sizes, and they will wear unevenly so the difference will become greater. There are specs on the Michelin website. If you want to be more even in size in the michellins you need to go 265 up front. Michellins themselves don't recommend staggered sizes for rs3.

The other benefit of going square is that you can rotate tyres for more even wear.

Agreed, on the Pirelli, my traction control was a NIGHTMARE. On the square Michellin, I have zero traction control issues. Before on the OE setup even in the dry the traction control would kick in for no good reason and i'd have to engage sport traction mode all the time. The Michellin square setup resolved the issue.

Even so, staggered Michellin deltas in diameter are unlikely to damage the haldex based on what i've read which measured the % difference and compared it to the tolerances in the Haldex literature.

Reactions: Count Drunkula
I'm another one who has gone 245/35 square, but with Eagle Assys. Only had them on for a few miles but no traction issues yet unlike the OE Pirelli.

Reactions: infernox
Ok so after doing much research including reading the posts on here, other forums and going to the tyre place to compare and measure the Michelins and the Pirelli's Ive decided to go with the Michelins. And not too soon! As the canvas is coming thru on the inner edge of both fronts! wtf? :shrug:.
I was not convinced about running a squared set up on the staggered wheels so decided on the 245/35 front and 235/35 for the rear. I wanted to keep it staggered but thought the Michelin 255's are way too wide (around 20mm wider! than the same size Pirellis) and the 245's are less than 8mm difference in OD to the rear 235's where as the standard 255's have just over 10mm difference in OD smaller than the 235's. So keeping it well within the 1.5% allowable difference in OD. Anyway hopefully that all makes sense and I dont have any issues with the Michelins. Cheers.

Reactions: Roxman87, infernox and L1ARR
Hi All,

Am now looking for a set of tyres. Have decided to go for Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Sport 235 35 19 all round. Having a look around I missed out on Costco's offer in March :wtf: but am wondering if anyone knows if there are any decent tyre deals around.

There are a couple of Michelin ones floating around but i can't see many stockists of the Goodyear Super Sports.

I can't get Goodyear Super Sports anywhere, seems I would be waiting 12 + weeks due to coved and the stopping of production. Have gone for a set of 235 squares PS4s, they are being fitted on Wed and I managed to get £100 off. Gives me a fitted price of £125 per tyre, result.

Hi all,

I finally bit the bullet to replace my OEM pirelli's with Michellin PS4S. My FL is currently on the staggered set up and I opted for 235/35 square.

When the tyre garage saw that I had the 255's on the front they did not want to replace them with the Michellin 235 - they said the 235 tyre would be too stretched across the wider front alloys and that I would get increased wear as a result. I explained that the Michellin 235 was as wide as the 255 pirelli, but he insisted on advising me to use 255 PS4S on the fronts and 235's on the back to keep the staggered setup. Reading through this thread, I didn't think that was an option?

Anyway, I came away not replacing any of the tires until I read up some more information on here. Can anybody who has switched from staggered to square confirm all ok to do so? I know that there may be some traction issues in the beginning; I think my main concern is that the tyre garage were so reluctant to change the set up...

Many thanks

Hi all,

I finally bit the bullet to replace my OEM pirelli's with Michellin PS4S. My FL is currently on the staggered set up and I opted for 235/35 square.

When the tyre garage saw that I had the 255's on the front they did not want to replace them with the Michellin 235 - they said the 235 tyre would be too stretched across the wider front alloys and that I would get increased wear as a result. I explained that the Michellin 235 was as wide as the 255 pirelli, but he insisted on advising me to use 255 PS4S on the fronts and 235's on the back to keep the staggered setup. Reading through this thread, I didn't think that was an option?

Anyway, I came away not replacing any of the tires until I read up some more information on here. Can anybody who has switched from staggered to square confirm all ok to do so? I know that there may be some traction issues in the beginning; I think my main concern is that the tyre garage were so reluctant to change the set up...

Many thanks

Absolute ****** !!

Goodyear Supersports for a year now on 8.5j fronts.

Zero wear issues and they ain’t stretched at all.
I know another RS3 owner who fitted 235’s Michelin’s to his 8.5j fronts too.

Taken straight after fitting
700f57ffa464bd9eab6ac1c5f5650698.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hawesy25 and frank71RS3
Absolute ****** !!

Goodyear Supersports for a year now on 8.5j fronts.

Zero wear issues and they ain’t stretched at all.
I know another RS3 owner who fitted 235’s Michelin’s to his 8.5j fronts too.

Taken straight after fitting
700f57ffa464bd9eab6ac1c5f5650698.jpg

Thanks mate, that’s what I thought. They made me so paranoid I thought I’d come away and check.

Cheers

Hey there,
I recently replaced my OE Pirreli's for the Michelin PS4's after a lot of research on forums like this one and physically measuring and comparing the OE Pirellis to the Michelin PS4's, I opted to go for a 'semi' staggered option.
Instead of going for the original size of 255x30's on the front and 235x 35's on the rear i opted for 245 x 35's on the front, which are virtually the same tread size as the original Pirelli 255 (with a smaller lip) and 235's on the rear.
Initially until the shine wore off the tread the traction control would flicker occasionally but now after a few hundred k's I rarely see it flicker and I have found that it possibly rides quieter and softer than before.. but that could be because the old fronts were really bad.
So far so good..
(Please ignore the scrapes)
20200601 183959

20200601 183950

Reactions: hawesy25
Thanks mate, that’s what I thought. They made me so paranoid I thought I’d come away and check.

Cheers

I also run 8.5 x 19” winter alloys with 235 Pirelli Sotto zero winters and again zero issues.
On both the PFL and FL
83f50f241ea1a816347c57db7c800843.plist

07a1d8742619e1cd5aa5191e647a9f2f.png

Reactions: NevMan and hawesy25
Hey there,
I recently replaced my OE Pirreli's for the Michelin PS4's after a lot of research on forums like this one and physically measuring and comparing the OE Pirellis to the Michelin PS4's, I opted to go for a 'semi' staggered option.
Instead of going for the original size of 255x30's on the front and 235x 35's on the rear i opted for 245 x 35's on the front, which are virtually the same tread size as the original Pirelli 255 (with a smaller lip) and 235's on the rear.
Initially until the shine wore off the tread the traction control would flicker occasionally but now after a few hundred k's I rarely see it flicker and I have found that it possibly rides quieter and softer than before.. but that could be because the old fronts were really bad.
So far so good..
(Please ignore the scrapes)View attachment 207003
View attachment 207007

Hey there,
So far so good..
(Please ignore the scrapes)View attachment 207003
View attachment 207007

Thanks for the information, really helpful. I think I’ll stick with the 235’s as they have them at the garage waiting. My main concern was the stretch over the 8.5j but you and [mention]T-1000 [/mention] have put my mind at rest

Sorry if this has been asked....it’s a long thread!

Are there any issues sticking with the staggered set-up of 255/30 fronts and 235/35 rears with the PS4S?

Sorry if this has been asked....it’s a long thread!

Are there any issues sticking with the staggered set-up of 255/30 fronts and 235/35 rears with the PS4S?

I've been running that exact setup for about 7 months with no issues

Reactions: RS03???, Splathead and Riko0073
I can go take a few but you’ll have to forgive the uncleanness of my wheels at the moment

Reactions: Riko0073
Agreed, on the Pirelli, my traction control was a NIGHTMARE. On the square Michellin, I have zero traction control issues. Before on the OE setup even in the dry the traction control would kick in for no good reason and i'd have to engage sport traction mode all the time. The Michellin square setup resolved the issue.

Even so, staggered Michellin deltas in diameter are unlikely to damage the haldex based on what i've read which measured the % difference and compared it to the tolerances in the Haldex literature.
Hi,
I have just bought an RS3 (2018) and this is new to be the traction control light is coming on even when pulling out of junctions my current tyres are 255/30/19 mitchelin 4s at the front and 235/35/19 p zero at the rear. I’m looking for some help here is it worth getting the haldex system checked or changing the tyres to all pilot 4s. My previous car was a A45 (2017) and I didn’t have any problems with flooring that but the rs3 seems to not like it. Again any help is much appreciated.

P Zero aren't up there with the Mitchelins.
Yeh. I was thinking that my previous car had pilot sport 4s all round. But I didn’t think the P zeros would be that **** . Literally doesn’t let u get the power down even in the low gears. I was just worried it was something to do with the haldex. Am new to having an Audi so any help is appreciated.

Get some Michelins on there and see what its like after that. If I were you I'd either go for Pilot Sport 4s or the Pilot Super Sport which I favour because they have better rim protection

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hi,
I have just bought an RS3 (2018) and this is new to be the traction control light is coming on even when pulling out of junctions my current tyres are 255/30/19 mitchelin 4s at the front and 235/35/19 p zero at the rear. I’m looking for some help here is it worth getting the haldex system checked or changing the tyres to all pilot 4s. My previous car was a A45 (2017) and I didn’t have any problems with flooring that but the rs3 seems to not like it. Again any help is much appreciated.

Haldex probably needs a software update.

Was talking to a tech at Ecotune last year and he said a few of their customers who run staggered PS4S on the RS3 have had traction light issues and solved with Haldex software update

Reactions: Declan11 and 8YARWY
Haldex probably needs a software update.

Was talking to a tech at Ecotune last year and he said a few of their customers who run staggered PS4S on the RS3 have had traction light issues and solved with Haldex software update

+1 for the AWD software update.

Sorry to bring up the subject again, but there is some things I don't understand!.
I have the staggered set up so 255 front and 235 rear.
My understanding is the hight of a tyre is the % of the width, so taking a 255/30 and replacing it with a 245/35 is a 18,5mm larger circumference 2.83%
235/35 are ok all round as they are the same!
I thought Audi made the different front size on the staggered it improve handling, also timed over the co2 output too lol.
To the question is the Pirelli ro2 a special size tyre? why does it differ in size (Width) to the Michelin ?

Sorry to bring up the subject again, but there is some things I don't understand!.
I have the staggered set up so 255 front and 235 rear.
My understanding is the hight of a tyre is the % of the width, so taking a 255/30 and replacing it with a 245/35 is a 18,5mm larger circumference 2.83%
235/35 are ok all round as they are the same!
I thought Audi made the different front size on the staggered it improve handling, also timed over the co2 output too lol.
To the question is the Pirelli ro2 a special size tyre? why does it differ in size (Width) to the Michelin ?

Yes it is a complete buggers muddle. There is no tyre that fits well on an 8.5" rim that is close enough to match the 235/35 size. You would need a 265/30 which is a bit too big for an 8.5 rim. That is why Audi had Pirelli make the RO2. The problem is that it has not much grip and seems to wear the inside edge. I have had the tyres next to a few different standard ones and measured them.

The Pirelli RO2 tyre is 255 but that includes the massive 'rim-protector' the tread is much narrower (about 240). That 'rim-protector' looks to me to be a stiffener under hard cornering to support the edge of the tyre as it moves away from beneath the rim. Although it helps with the understeer I think it wears the inside corner where the tyre does not give way because of the stiffener, poor grip in a straight line because of the stiff side walls and traction light because it does not behave the same as the (more normal construction) rears and can wear more causing the TC light because of the fluctuating circumference difference. The update made the TC less sensitive.

This update also helps the staggered Michelin because the circumferences are not matched like the Pirelli.

People will argue whether this is a problem or not but personally I would not run a big difference in rolling radius on a haldex car as it may not show for many miles.

The Pirellis on mine had worn on the inside edge to the canvas, I had poor grip and TC light issues. I changed 2 staggered sets of wheels into 2 square sets, 235/35 on 8" for winter and 245/35 PS4S on 8.5" for summer. I went with 245/35 as it is a good fit on the 8.5 rim, bit more sidewall comfort (standard TTRS size) but 255/30 PS4S all round would also work on square 8.5" and I may try that next time.

I get even wear on both sets, no TC light issues (no update) and no increase in understeer but I also think the geometry change at the front of the saloon along with more weight further over the back wheels helps with this more than people give it credit.

For me the handling on the square set of 8.5" wheels with 255/35 PS4S is sublime and good ride quality on the crappy roads here. IMHO how it should have come from the factory.