Sportback Michellin ps4s?

Matt2010

Reaction score
I've read quite a bit about Michellin ps4s on RS3's which vary from traction light issues to being way better than the stock P Zeros.
So, on the PFL with a square set up (235's all around), should I use 235/35/19 or 245/35/19 size all around?

If so, for those that use them, whats the road noise like compared to P Zero's and overall are they much better than P Zero's in both hot/dry and cold/wet weather?
I used Michellin Super Sports on a previous car and really liked them but heard the ps4s are even better.

Sorry for dragging topic up again but a search gave mixed opinions and don't want to waste my cash on the wrong tyres.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris S 1245 and Tristan
I've read quite a bit about Michellin ps4s on RS3's which vary from traction light issues to being way better than the stock P Zeros.
So, on the PFL with a square set up (235's all around), should I use 235/35/19 or 245/35/19 size all around?

If so, for those that use them, whats the road noise like compared to P Zero's and overall are they much better than P Zero's in both hot/dry and cold/wet weather?
I used Michellin Super Sports on a previous car and really liked them but heard the ps4s are even better.

Sorry for dragging topic up again but a search gave mixed opinions and don't want to waste my cash on the wrong tyres.

Having owned PFL and FL cars with the stock Pirelli's, the Michelin's MPS4S in my experience is in a different league. They grip better in dry and wet conditions, provide better feedback through the steering and last twice as long. Yes they are ever so slightly noisier than the Pirelli's but the plus points far outweigh this minor issue. I did have some traction issues when the tyres were new, but after scrubbing them in (which took ages) and increasing the tyre pressures I found they settled down.
At first the wider 255's up front made the turn in feel so much sharper and the car would change direction much better, but as I put more miles on them I started to notice the car would 'wander' about at speed as if it was tram lining. I spent time and money checking alignment and suspension and ended up swapping the 255/30 fronts for a 235/35 squared set up. This has made the car so much better and ride quality has improved too. The size of the 255 MPS4S is much wider than the Pirelli and does not sit on the 8.5J front alloy properly - it stretches the tyre side wall inward into a slightly curved shape which does not allow the side wall of the tyre to work properly. I showed some pictures of the fitment to the Michelin Tech Director who was at this year's Goodwood FOS and he said the same thing about the side wall.
The narrower 235 tyre fits ok and the 35 profile gives a bit more protection from pot holes too. I admit that I am tempted to try the 245/35's all round but they are a fair bit more expensive than the 235 size.

The 255 Michelin looks so much wider than the same size Pirelli.......
IMG 0062

The difference in same tyre size between Michelin MPS4S and stock Pirelli PZero (right)
IMG 0308

The 245/35 MPS4S on the REVO RV019 alloys look just right.
IMG 0079

Reactions: ruairi83, jimojameso, hawesy25 and 2 others
Also have a PFL. (235 all around)
No traction control issues except the first few miles when the oily surface wasn’t rubbed off.
The MPS4S is night and day better.
Excellent in the wet, still safe when it’s starting to get cold outside.
And after surviving many laps around Nürburgring this summer (at the hottest point) i can certainly recommend them.
Probably slightly louder, but it’s very close to the PZero.
Lifespan is also a little bit better.

I say go for it, you won’t regret it.

Best regards
ChRS3tian.

Reactions: jimojameso, Matt2010 and NevMan
I run 255/30 19s square. Turn in, steering and grip are better than p zero. They ride a little better as well on bumps. There is a little more noise, a slight hum. No traction light issues. The staggered Pirelli did set of the traction. Btw there is an Audi fix to dial back the traction control sensitivity.

I know quite a few folks that run 245/35 on the stock rims and it works well.

Reactions: jimojameso and Matt2010
What are people doing on the FL ?
Swaying with swapping all 4 but worried about ausinuttas RO2 issues on the FL but also hear people talking positively about the tyres.

255 up front or go square

My 60ft times weren't great at 1/4 mile so looking for better grip

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

What are people doing on the FL ?
Swaying with swapping all 4 but worried about ausinuttas RO2 issues on the FL but also hear people talking positively about the tyres.

255 up front or go square

My 60ft times weren't great at 1/4 mile so looking for better grip

Mine is an FL, I’d definitely go square. It allows you to rotate tyres for more even wear and no traction control problems.

Reactions: Dan_DJT
I’ve just gone 235/35 PS4S's all round on my PFL, currently lowered on MSS Springs, and running Leggara HLT 8.5" ET38 all round. Works perfectly. Will be even better when I get my KWV3's on soon

I’m running 255/30 square but many are happy with 245/35 square on the Oem staggered wheels.

Running 245/35/19 all square on FL.. never had traction control light came up ever since..
Seems hard to find that size just now on a lot of sites

If 255 is cheaper is there a reason people go 245

Seems hard to find that size just now on a lot of sites

If 255 is cheaper is there a reason people go 245

235 Michelin’s seem to be as wide as 255 Pirelli’s.

I'm running the standard Pirellis on my FL and i constantly have traction control issues. The light will constantly flash and restrict power under WOT on a completely dry road in 3rd gear from 3,000 RPM. It's really strange. Even more so when the car isn't fully warmed up. Could the tyres be causing this?

I'm running the standard Pirellis on my FL and i constantly have traction control issues. The light will constantly flash and restrict power under WOT on a completely dry road in 3rd gear from 3,000 RPM. It's really strange. Even more so when the car isn't fully warmed up. Could the tyres be causing this?

Definitely the tyres, 10/10 owners cited the same issue but after changing out, never encounter TC light

I run the oem Pirelli’s 235 square set up and never experienced this only going over a speed bump a little to quickly.
Turned esp to sport no more issues

Ive got the staggered setup but going for 235 ps4s all round, as they are they are about the same width as the pzero 255s

Reactions: Bonstio
The 235 Michelin are a good fit on the 8” wheels.

I’ve measured both the pirellis and Michelin’s and while they are technically the same width it’s the shape of the tyre that makes the difference.

The pirellis will measure the correct 255 or 235 to the edge of the rim protectors. Whereas the Michelin’s are a lot more square, so while same widths, that measurement is essentialy the width of the tread.

I got my car serviced today, all went well apart from the front tyres. They said it had extra wear on the inside of the front tyres, wasn't there a thread about this? They advised I change them because its close to the cord showing. The thread was around 5mm though so they said there might be an alignment problem that caused this.

Are the Michelin PS4's the only recommended tyre replacement or are there any others? Looking online, the others I've seen so far are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 and Asymmetric 5, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 and Continental ContiSportContact 5P / PremiumContact 6 / SportContact 6. There's also the mid range brands (heard Vredestein are good). Plus the same P Zeros and Bridgestone Turanzas but I'd rather not get them.

The rear tyres are fine but I should change all 4 right?

Reactions: Roxman87
So would people that have switched what sizes are best for the staggered set up ? Same sizes as standard with no issues ?

So would people that have switched what sizes are best for the staggered set up ? Same sizes as standard with no issues ?
You can’t use the same size for staggered in another brand. The pirelli 255 and 235 are matched in rolling diameter for the Audi fitment, other brands aren’t.

Thanks Slowracer. What sizes are people using for their staggered wheels then?

Thanks Slowracer. What sizes are people using for their staggered wheels then?
I recommend going square. 245/35/19 fit fine on the stock wheels despite .5” difference.
If you want to go staggered in another brand then check the tyre specs for that brand to match the rolling diameters.

Yes change all 4 if you're going all squared

The annoying thing is one of my rears must have been changed when I got it from Derby Audi because the tread was 6.6mm and the other 3 were around 5mm.

I might end up going for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 or 5's because of this - https://www.f1autocentres.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/goodyear-autumn-2019 . Not sure which ones to go for but it'd end up being just over £500 for all 4 tyres fitted if I got 245/35/19 like Slowracer says or just over £400 if I got 235/35/19. Just need to make sure the stock saloon wheels will fit fine on either of the sizes.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports since May.
Very good tyre.

IMG 4902

235 Goodyear Supersport vs 255 Pirelli
IMG 5057

Are the Supersports better than Asymmetric 3 or 5's? Did they fit fine on the stock wheels/alloys?

Direct alternative to MPSS.

I’ve got Assy 3 on our GTD golf and they are a great tyre, also fitted them to the PFL RS3 we had a few years back and really liked them.

So when the Supersports were announced I thought why not give them a go.

Decided to go 235 all round as Goodyear technical told me 255 were 8 months off being ready.

Had no issues fitting them to a 8.5J wheel.

Direct alternative to MPSS.

I’ve got Assy 3 on our GTD golf and they are a great tyre, also fitted them to the PFL RS3 we had a few years back and really liked them.

So when the Supersports were announced I thought why not give them a go.

Decided to go 235 all round as Goodyear technical told me 255 were 8 months off being ready.

Had no issues fitting them to a 8.5J wheel.

Great thanks T-800. Just deciding now whether to just get 2 of the same Pirelli tyres which would be cheaper or get 4 of these goodyear 235/35/19's.

Get the goodyear supersports. Miles better than the pirelli's. I have ps4s 255 on the fronts and 235 supersports on the back at the moment. Handles brilliantly.

Also the supersports are a step up from the assy 5's. If you go on the tyre reviews youtube channel (edit, links below) there is a great comparison video with michelin, continental and goodyear all in there. The faster in the dry round a track was the ps4s. 0.2 secs quicker than the goodyear supersports. However the supersports were 2 seconds a lap quicker in the wet. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Beebee-one and 8YARWY
Get the goodyear supersports. Miles better than the pirelli's. I have ps4s 255 on the fronts and 235 supersports on the back at the moment. Handles brilliantly.

Also the supersports are a step up from the assy 5's. If you go on the tyre reviews youtube channel (edit, links below) there is a great comparison video with michelin, continental and goodyear all in there. The faster in the dry round a track was the ps4s. 0.2 secs quicker than the goodyear supersports. However the supersports were 2 seconds a lap quicker in the wet. :)

Interesting, I'll take a look at the videos. So you have different tyres on the front and back? Does that mean I could keep the current Pirelli tyres on the back and get Michelin/Goodyear's at the front?

I ran pirellis on the back with michelin fronts for ages with no problems although a few people have had traction control flickering on. If you drive it in sport though that problem goes away. :)

Reactions: infernox
I ran pirellis on the back with michelin fronts for ages with no problems although a few people have had traction control flickering on. If you drive it in sport though that problem goes away. :)

Thanks for that. I'll watch the videos soon then decide. I saw one on their channel comparing the assy 3, assy 5 and continental premiumcontact 6. As long as it fits the standard alloy wheel using a 235/35/19 tyre with no issue then I'll do it and just get the 2 front tyres.

Reactions: jimojameso