Michelin Pilot Super Sports taking the RS3 from great to truly gripping

I intend too!...unless I have a change of heart between now and them arriving and me throwing back on the citylink van lol.

Oh!....my de-cat pipes have just arrived!, well it is my birthday this weekend! :superman:

I intend too!...unless I have a change of heart between now and them arriving and me throwing back on the citylink van lol.

Oh!....my de-cat pipes have just arrived!, well it is my birthday this weekend! :superman:

Camskill??

Happy Birthday :beerchug:

Nice review as always MBK.

I was very happy with my F1's but not so sure they have turned into 50pence pieces already (600mls in)??!!

I think with tyre choice its all about finding the limit and then comparing that with the next set/maufacturer.

Blimey 600 miles in is nothing. The MPSS are still looking all new after about 1K miles now, and thathas included some of the more spirited cross country routes and the launching described in an earlier thread. I'm impressed with them so far, the outside tread pattern is showing no sign of wear - much better than Conti's or the latest Potenza RE050A.

Another update will follow soon after some more testing conditions...

Great, I'm sure you'll enjoy. Give them a few miles to scrub in and you're away. I'm still amazed how well they've stood some testing miles.

On a real positive note I'm astounded that road tyres can be this good. Only a few years ago R888's and A048's were the only choice for ultra grip and they were plain dangerous in the wet. I had way too many nervous journeys to and from tracks on cold and wet days with them. The MPSS strike a great balance for me, great on track performance and the ability perform well on real roads to get you home safely.

Way back, MBK, about the time you 'arrived' on the scene (hahaha), I was running a Lotus Europa Twin Cam on Firestone Torino cross-ply tyres, the same as the Formula Ford guys were using - before they were banned: 6.5's on the front and 7.3's on the rear, and they were awesome! Absolutely ****** awesome! Though they lasted only 3000 road-miles. A Formula Ford license helped!

Sorry to pirate the post but just to show; this was the way a NEW car was delivered in 1972, none of today's bo##ocks....

View attachment 13418

Hello

They certainly take a few miles to scrub in, done about 50 miles on them so far and the ESP light is coming on frequently :)

What tyre pressures are you running? I was running standard pressures on my Conti's and looking at the front tyres they looked over inflated by how they have worn as the centers were right down to 1mm but the edge of the tyres still plenty of life. Still got over 10k on the first set of tyres which I was pleased with.

Cheers

Dave

Hello

They certainly take a few miles to scrub in, done about 50 miles on them so far and the ESP light is coming on frequently :)

What tyre pressures are you running? I was running standard pressures on my Conti's and looking at the front tyres they looked over inflated by how they have worn as the centers were right down to 1mm but the edge of the tyres still plenty of life. Still got over 10k on the first set of tyres which I was pleased with.

Cheers

Dave

Are you guys running 235's front and rear? Or staying with the 225's on the rear?

I've been running winter tyres @ 235 front and rear without problem, or noticing any difference, except a 235 gives just that little more protection to the wheel rim.

I stayed with the stock setup

winter tyres are not a good test on handling are they? Got them on my oil burner and they move around all over the place.

I stayed with the stock setup

winter tyres are not a good test on handling are they? Got them on my oil burner and they move around all over the place.

Thanks knobby, interesting.

I've Vredestein Wintrac 4xtreme tyres on both my RS3 and TT knobby; and I have to say I'm seriously impressed with the handling and braking on dry roads at plus 7ºC. And the wear rate is amazingly good too.

But I do drive within my age limit now - BEFORE others (and they know who they are) make comment!

ha ha....ok..No Comment.

If you think Old.you will become old.... MBK knows all about mindsets, he can help you with your problem.

I've already applied to become the 'Village Idiot'

With regards to pressures. The below should be of interest.

@MichelinTyres: @knobbby Unladen pressures are 41 front and 39 rear. Fully laden are 44 front and 45 rear.

Yep 41 front and 39 rear works perfectly for me. On track I adjusted the pressures after the first few laps to compensate for the heat (it was quite a cold day so only a 3/1 front/rear drop) and keep the pressures consistent. Give the tyres a few more miles and that initial ESP action will be long gone. After that turn off the ESP and enjoy.

MBK, did you go 235's all round in the end or stay 235 front 225 rear?

Stayed 235/225 though I don't think it would make much difference, even through the deepest puddles on track there was no loss of drip or traction. I'm sure the big 255 fronts would help in the dry though.

True but then you'd need the 8.5J wheels. Have gone 235's all round on the Goodyears, just need to bed them in. the 400+ mile round trip next Sunday should help with that as well.

Pilot Super Sports are the best performance tyre I have experienced. I stuck a set of those on the back of my E46 M3 and the grip and stability improvement was huge over the P zeros that the previous owner had on. Will defo be putting them on the RS3 when I get through the set already on the car.

Are you guys running 235's front and rear? Or staying with the 225's on the rear?

I've been running winter tyres @ 235 front and rear without problem, or noticing any difference, except a 235 gives just that little more protection to the wheel rim.
Hi Everyone, I am using Pilot Super Sport(PSS) for my Mark V GTI and it's super. I am just wondering how to compare Bridgestone RE11 in RS3 with PSS? As PSS is selling like almost 300pds in HK while RE11 is around 350pds each. I guess RE11 should be a better one to PSS on RS3? And as RE11 do not have 225/35R19, do you think our 8" wheel can warehouse 245/35R19 in the front? Thanks mate.:)

I mean if ok, I'll go front245 and rear 235?.............................

Sorry fanshu I don't know the RE11 but I'd have thought you could get away with 245 fronts yes.

Just ordered 4 michelin pilot super sports from audi...:)

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
Hi Everyone, I am using Pilot Super Sport(PSS) for my Mark V GTI and it's super. I am just wondering how to compare Bridgestone RE11 in RS3 with PSS? As PSS is selling like almost 300pds in HK while RE11 is around 350pds each. I guess RE11 should be a better one to PSS on RS3? And as RE11 do not have 225/35R19, do you think our 8" wheel can warehouse 245/35R19 in the front? Thanks mate.:)

The standard tyre supplier data chart(s) show the 245/35R 19 suitable for an 8J to 9.5J rim so you are within recommended parameters.

Go try 'em fanshu and let us know how you get on...

IMPORTANT: just keep the pressures @ 41psi

£? if you don't mind me asking. Also, 235 front, 225 rear?

Approximately £192/5 each for either size on Mytyres.com, Marcus: includes VAT and delivery...

Used these guys lots and always A1!

Just need a local to get 'em fitted and balanced; then get your orginals on eBay to recover some of the cost... Simples!

Hope your with these costs RS3-KEL/John...

I agree Mytyres were cheapest last year for the mrs tyres. Blackcircles were better for the PSS this time because they were giving back Tesco vouchers of about £120 - this made them a good £80 cheaper than anyone else and the mrs enjoyed the 'free' shopping so everyone was happy - not often you can say that when spending money on cars!!

I swear I see the traction control light on lots more now I have the Super Sports fitted, put nearly 1500 miles on them now.

You could always switch the ESP off/into Sport mode. The Super Sports have far higher grip limits and allow a more neutral balance - that might light up the ESP more often as it thinks you want it to intervene.

A massive improvement in grip and feedback - not to mention tyre shoulder durability - over the Conti 5P imo.

Reactions: Kelza
£1000 for 4 tyres inc vat and fitted ouch ....

Hi marcus yeah i went for standard sizes ...:)

so will 235 fit on the rears ok?
need a bit more wheel tin protection.

Yep! As reported elsewhere and with 4-up: 255/30s on the front and 235/35's on the rear; NO worries...

Check Thread: Car in dealer for brakes and front sub frame alignment: Post #4