Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - Thoughts?

I currently have f1's on my car and feel they excellent tyres and can wholly recommend. But the one thing I really like about them which is not always commented on is the amount of rim protection given by the f1's, impressive. My question is how good is the rim protection on the mpss'? As im looking to replace tyres soon. Thanks

hi mate, i have my 4 mpss land today. having fitted on tuesday when having all 4 alloys refurb ;) but looking at them they don't have much of a lip! was gutted to be honest as its the gf's car and she has curbed all 4 lol. i went off google image before buying them to try see if had a lip. some did you could clearly see the curv on the edge and some didn't. and mine don't lol but will see what it looks like when there on.

i.e. check these 2 different pics out...its all obviously to do with how it sits on different alloys. so will see how it sits on the rs3 alloys

Attachments

• michelin-pilot-super-sport-010.jpg
    michelin-pilot-super-sport-010.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 5,741
  • IMG_2598.jpg
    IMG_2598.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 10,972
The second picture above of the tyre on the car you can see that the tyre is stretched on the rim. It's only a 225 tyre on a 19 inch rim which is probably 8 or 8.5 inches wide.
You should have bought the gf a range rover then she could climb over the kerbs as much as she likes.

I have F1's going on this week, Ive stuck to the standard sizes. Anyone want to buy two rear continentals, only 8000 miles on them

How'd the F1s work out?

I have fitted some 235/45/17 Goodyear F1's to the Team Dynamics Pro 1.2 I bought and they have a really big rim protector on.Easily get 2 pound coins sitting on the lip.

Karl.

Reactions: ninjakid and 45bvtc
With sincere thanks to Karl for such a great idea/demonstration...:salute:

The joys of a 255/30 R19 on the 8.5J rim:

P1000282xx_zps1504bfad.jpg

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
Kumho fail massively in this department, not enough there to balance it for a split second.

20140327 102356

Reactions: 45bvtc
MPSS's have massive thick amount of rubber (8.5J), almost the thickness of my shrek sized finger lol

Photo

Reactions: fletch
picking my car up today having alloys re-furb by Prestige Wheels | Alloy wheel refurbishment, alloy wheels, rim repairs, wheel repairs under the £500 policy i took out from audi when bought the car new (5 new tyre's / 5 re-furbs) plus putting on the mpss at same time, (wasn't under the insurance as just replacing due to worn not damaged) will post pics of them hopefully the gf won't be curbing them again!! :bang head:

I have fitted some 235/45/17 Goodyear F1's to the Team Dynamics Pro 1.2 I bought and they have a really big rim protector on.Easily get 2 pound coins sitting on the lip.

Are your wheels 18 or 19in rims? I have had Pro 1.2 in the past and really rate them, but they only seem to go up to an 18in rim?

ETA: D'oh - 17in based on the tyre spec?

I think our problem is not on the front tyres, even 235/35 with 8 inch wheel are ok. Its just the 225/35 at the back, both of my rear wheels are curbed! I just wonder if MPSS is better than Conti?

My MPSS (225/40/R18) with a 7.5 inch wheel in my GTI is a lot better!

Dave Hedgehog

You've just saved me £100 thank you very much mate, I was going to order the MPSS yesterday from camskill and I am glad I did not now after reading this thread I've just ordered them from tyre leader. Thanks again :)

Dave Hedgehog

You've just saved me £100 thank you very much mate, I was going to order the MPSS yesterday from camskill and I am glad I did not now after reading this thread I've just ordered them from tyre leader. Thanks again :)

Just received my MPSS today ready for fitting friday, thanks again Dave

I finally managed to source some MPSS in the size/spec I required and I can't wait to get them fitted next week.

225/40/18 92Y XL seemed near impossible to find in the UK at present due to the major tyre manufacturers focussing all of their shipments to the continent, to help with the demand for changing from winter to summer tyres.

Can't wait to get them fitted after hearing all of the great reviews in this part of the forum - I was quiet impressed with my Pilot Sport 3s....so bring on the Supers :)

Just noticed today that Coulsdon Audi have managed to fit my summer rubber Contis 225 front and 235 rear (drivers side) and MPSS 225 front and 235 rear (passengers side). Finking prucks!

Reactions: MBK and Kelza
Just noticed today that Coulsdon Audi have managed to fit my summer rubber Contis 225 front and 235 rear (drivers side) and MPSS 225 front and 235 rear (passengers side). Finking prucks!

im sorry

but BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

mind you my first dealer put the 235s on the back lol, the 255s dont fit so its a hint for the dealer :)

Stafford Audi might be a trip too far but is worth considering...

I spent time on Stafford Audi's shop floor today, having the offside duct upgrade plus a demonstration of load balancing of my front wheels/tyres; I found ALL of the guys and gals there knowledgeable and left satisfied with the Stafford Audi service.
:thumbsup:

Stafford Audi might be a trip too far but is worth considering...

I spent time on Stafford Audi's shop floor today, having the offside duct upgrade plus a demonstration of load balancing of my front wheels/tyres; I found ALL of the guys and gals there knowledgeable and left satisfied with the Stafford Audi service.
:thumbsup:

Did it show up any discrepancies with the current state of 'balance' John ?

Every tyre change resulted in the same head scratching by the tyre fitters "you want the wider tyres on the front?" whilst they looked at me like some swivelled eyed loon "but on the M3 they wider tyres are on the rear", I did try to explain that is a RWD car. Explaining front biased quattro to a non petrol head is no fun.

The ducting makes quite a big difference on track John, without it the standard discs will warp in 2 or 3 laps, for the road I agree no real advantage. The Evo IX was much the same a couple of extra brake cooling ducts (and the removal of the disc guards) made track durability much better. The downside is more road grime and grit on the rear of the disc which causes more wear and some strange disc effects if the car isn't run for a while.

As for balancing it's odd that Audi 19" wheels both on the old 3.2 TT and the RS3 have seemed to cause so much difficulty over the years.

Reactions: Kelza
"plus a demonstration of load balancing of my front wheels/tyres"

Fortunately for me Mark, my wheels and tyres are always fitted and balanced by a man in the back of his van on my driveway; Dave (highprofiletyres) knows what he's doing and as such I've never had an issue with tyre/wheel balance.

However, a fault was found during the demonstration and a service of the load/balance machine has now been scheduled.

I'll continue to use Dave... :happy:

Reactions: T-800, MBK and Kelza
Apologies for sounding a bit thick but, I always thought you had to replace all four tyres at the same time on quattro cars?

Don't flame me but, my manual states
Four-wheel drive (quattro)
On quattro models the engine power is distributed to all four wheels
Replacing tyres
On vehicles with four=wheel drive, al four tyres must have the same rolling circumference. Also avoid using tyres with varying tread depths

Apologies for sounding a bit thick but, I always thought you had to replace all four tyres at the same time on quattro cars?

Don't flame me but, my manual states
Four-wheel drive (quattro)
On quattro models the engine power is distributed to all four wheels
Replacing tyres
On vehicles with four=wheel drive, al four tyres must have the same rolling circumference. Also avoid using tyres with varying tread depths

Maybe so with a 'Torsen' quattro system pluves1 but not as important with the 'Haldex' quattro system: the RS3 for example has the 'Haldex' quattro system and is supplied with either a 19-inch 235/35 or 255/30 on the FRONT but with a 19-inch 225/35 on the REAR, the rolling circumference for each being different.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, monkeyboy_marcus, Kelza and 2 others
OK, BLUEY's going Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS), too.

I know, I know... :whistle2:

New stock, according to my tyre-man-in-the-van is that NEW stock is due here in the UK on 2nd May so; my existing ContiSportContact 5Ps will be for sale.

For anyone interested the 225/35s (original rears) have 7.3mm tread depth (8mm NEW), the 235/35s (original fronts) have 6.0mm tread depth, and the 255/30s (optional fronts) have 7.6mm tread depth.

When available I'll post on eBay and list in the Sticky: "NOTICE Post your RS3 eBay, Classifieds and For Sale links in here" above.

Note: BLUEY's only done 7000-miles, and 3000 of that has been on winter wheels and tyres...

Reactions: fanshu, MB RS3 and MBK
John, you will love the MPSS an engineering masterpiece, how they make the outer edge so durable and the wear across the tyre so consistent is beyond my comprehension. I only wish I was on commission from Michelin all the good words I've written about them. Just take a look at how the motoring press love in for the M135i has fallen away since they've driven a few on other road tyres. Without question the MPSS were the best pound for pound money I spent on the RS3.

Apologies to RS3copilot if I'm in any small way responsible for causing additional expenditure! :) :beerchug:

Reactions: fanshu, MB RS3, DAYTONA 500 and 1 other person
I just KNEW you'd like this Mark, :thumbsup: I was just too embarrassed to say... :shutup2:

You guys KEEP sayin' these MPSS's are so good that I'm now losing' sleep so, as with the 8.5 J's, I guess I've just gotta try 'em out for myself.

That said, I didn't rate the F1's (on other guys RS3's) as being much different to the Continentals, but that's just me I guess :yahoo:

So let's give the MPSS's a run, and I've ordered SIX rubbery bits to suit both the 8.5J set-up and an 8J setup, just to evaluate :readit:

Reactions: m0sbf, MBK, MB RS3 and 1 other person
Apologies to RS3copilot if I'm in any small way responsible for causing additional expenditure! :) :beerchug:

Next years winter fuel allowance Mark, hers and mine :uhm: and maybe the one after that... :jump:

But as Spooky Ghost already knows, there's NO pockets in shrouds... :o.k:

Reactions: MBK and DAYTONA 500
Just ordered these MPSS from Camskill :thumbsup:

2 x 255/30/19
2 x 235/35/19

Delivery next Tuesday

Continentals will be straight on eBay.........

Is tyre leader still the cheapest place to purchase the MPSS tyres as I'm going to treat he this weekend and get her ready for the summer driving ;-)

My understanding 'D' :hi: is that they may be the cheapest but only supply 'old' stock tyres: I'm told they actually say this themselves though I haven't seen the 'print'.

I ordered a set of MPSS several weeks ago (2 x 255/30 and 4 x 235/35) and am still waiting delivery of 'NEW' tyres; the tyre man I use will not provide me with 'old' stock. I'm given to understand that 'NEW' stock will be available this week.

All said, I was using BLUEY a tad aggressively :racer: yesterday down the A5 toward Wales and must say again that I don't have an issue with these Continentals; so I'll be keen to evaluate the MPSS's.

Reactions: Kelza
My understanding 'D' :hi: is that they may be the cheapest but only supply 'old' stock tyres: I'm told they actually say this themselves though I haven't seen the 'print'.

I ordered a set of MPSS several weeks ago (2 x 255/30 and 4 x 235/35) and am still waiting delivery of 'NEW' tyres; the tyre man I use will not provide me with 'old' stock. I'm given to understand that 'NEW' stock will be available this week.

All said, I was using BLUEY a tad aggressively :racer: yesterday down the A5 toward Wales and must say again that I don't have an issue with these Continentals; so I'll be keen to evaluate the MPSS's.

You change check tyres 'made' date on the sidewall, I'm not sure what you class as old stock, months or years? And when you get rid of the conti's it will feel like a new car!

I have driven a fair few RS3's Oli, on a variety of tyres, and for fast roadwork, NOT track, I found ZERO issues with the standard Continental rubber in 'summer +7ºC' conditions; can't comment on their 'winter/-7ºC' abilities however as I change to tyres more suitable for such conditions.

Note: on the Conti's I use 39/37psi (Front to Rear) and NOT the 41/39 recommended - and this DOES make a difference...

My Conti's are now half worn, hence my reason for change, time to evaluate something else.

Nearly went for Yokohama Advan's mind, I do like Yokohama's: watch this space.

That said, I readily acknowledge how a tyre's characteristics can change the road manners of a road car; it was after all an element of my previous employ.

Last edited:
You seem to be the only one who has not thought the conti's are rubbish, that I've heard from. Mind you I've always had a disliking for them, from previous cars experience. I hope you see a difference, which I'm sure you will. And I've always loved GY's, I even put them on my kombi!

Even though I'm getting the MPSS I'm curious as to what these 'magical' Michelins offer over the standard Continental Sportcontact 5p ?

What possible significant difference could they offer in 'normal' day to day driving ?

I like to pushon in the RS3 whenever possible but have never noticed the Conti's struggling to provide grip or traction......

Firstly,my car isn't an RS3,but in terms of power and torque,I think it stands up pretty well,so the tyre has to work pretty hard.

I've used most of the decent tyre options for the car,and one that wasn't even half decent,that being the OEM fitment Bridgestone RE050.

Since then,I've used F1's,PS2's,PS3's,Supersports,and Toyo R1Rs and R888s.

IMHO.....The F1's are a good all rounder,but prone to wear quite quickly,but the Supersports not only last well,but have excellent dry grip,combined with decent wet grip,and a good amount of warning when they're about to let go,both in wet and dry conditions.

They don't need to be blazing hot to get them to work,unlike some of the more track-oriented tyres such as the R1R and R888,and have grip levels which are not a whole lot less than the trackday tyres.
Of course,you won't get the ultimate levels of dry grip that you'd get from R888s,but as an all rounder,they're miles ahead of the F1s.

In everyday use,you may not notice a huge difference,but if you push on a bit,you should notice better overall traction.

My old S3 will load up the tyres and suspension pretty hard,and losing traction with some tyres isn't difficult,especially on poor surfaces,or adverse camber,and we went to a lot of trouble to get the suspension setup working,as well as picking the right tyres to deal with that,and overall so far,the Supersports are the second best tyres for dry use,and best all rounder.

Reactions: kwistof and T-800