Michelin Pilot Sport 4?

AlwaysBeenS3

Reaction score
Just had a brand new full set of Pilot Sport 4’s fitted to an S3 and not impressed at all with the grip they are providing

Iv only done around 300-400 miles but have had new tyres in the past (Pilot Sport 3’s) and never had to run them in

Had the Pirelli P zeros fitted from factory and they provided much better traction than the Michelins with the added benefit of massive rim protection

Everytime i put my foot down the traction light is going off, even in a straight line, didnt even have this when the Pirellis went down to 3mm.

Taking it round corners is aslo proving difficult

Faulty batch, wait for them to run in or am i expecting too much?

I've got the Ps4 (not the S variant). And I've had no problems. I can launch control in good conditions and have like no wheel spin, heck even on a damp road it amazes me how quick I can launch, I can plant my foot and I think only once has the traction light come on. Something sounds a bit off here... By no means a tyre expert but I can't fault the set I have.

They'll be run in for sure, but to be honest i ain't a fan of Michelin tyres for road cars and l always refit what's been fitted from the factory

Same here not the S variant

It was last night which made me question them even more as it was damp and just about gained some traction

Havent tried launching it yet so may test that today but havent got my hopes up

Theres me thinking I cannot wait to get some Michelins on but beginning to regret that decision now lol

What other tyres would you guys recommend for the S3?

Last edited:
Have you checked the tyre pressures?
Wouldn’t be the first time a tyre fitter got the pressure wrong.
Also if it’s directional then check it’s going in the right direction.

Reactions: Ron240
I have the MP4S on my S3. Great tyre. Much better than the Conti sport contact 6's I had before.

TBH, when I drove off, for the first couple hundred miles, they did seam a bit aloof compared to the Conti's. But once bedded in, they give better feel, and grip.

Have PS3's on my Twingo RS. Again, great tyre.

My S3 come with PS3 on the rear and PS4 on the front from Audi, not a clue why but it works. I’ve had no problems and replaced all 4 corners exactly the same when they was due to be changed. Sticks like **** round corners and I drive it hard in dry conditions. Good cornering in wet, i don’t feel the need to be too careful. However I do get a slight spin in damp/wet conditions when launching or setting off quick but I’m due haldex service so that should fix that up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you checked the tyre pressures?
Wouldn’t be the first time a tyre fitter got the pressure wrong.
Also if it’s directional then check it’s going in the right direction.
Yes, absolutely always check the pressures after having new tyres fitted, because as you say tyre fitters can and do get it wrong sometimes, which I have personal experience of. Good ones should ask you what you would like them set to. :)
Also as you say check for the rotation arrow and "outside" if marked, although if they get this wrong they shouldn't be working as a tyre fitter in the first place.
Directional is for optimum water dispersal so will not be as good in the wet.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Just had a brand new full set of Pilot Sport 4’s fitted to an S3 and not impressed at all with the grip they are providing

Iv only done around 300-400 miles but have had new tyres in the past (Pilot Sport 3’s) and never had to run them in

Had the Pirelli P zeros fitted from factory and they provided much better traction than the Michelins with the added benefit of massive rim protection

Everytime i put my foot down the traction light is going off, even in a straight line, didnt even have this when the Pirellis went down to 3mm.

If it’s very cold (it is January) then the grip from summer tyres will be much worse than at temperatures in the other 3 seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rvtb101
Yes, absolutely always check the pressures after having new tyres fitted, because as you say tyre fitters can and do get it wrong sometimes, which I have personal experience of. Good ones should ask you what you would like them set to. :)
Also as you say check for the rotation arrow and "outside" if marked, although if they get this wrong they shouldn't be working as a tyre fitter in the first place.
Directional is for optimum water dispersal so will not be as good in the wet.

I’ve had wheels not bolted tight on the car after a tyre change. Granted it was years ago. Let’s say big national chain.

Out of all the tyres I've tried the best in wet/damp has been uniroyal rain sport 3's. No other tyre I've tried has the same sort of grip. They are a good shout if you're thinking of changing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I’ve got pilot super sports and can’t fault them to be honest.

Once you've got it into your brain cells that the new tyres you've fitted to your car are guff there's no turning back.......it's cost me almost £600 just for 2 fronts, because l did'nt like the looks of the first tyres fitted...........expensive mistake

Reactions: MikeParkin
Once you've got it into your brain cells that the new tyres you've fitted to your car are guff there's no turning back.......it's cost me almost £600 just for 2 fronts, because l did'nt like the looks of the first tyres fitted...........expensive mistake

Hahaha

Reactions: Jassyo06
I’m getting a set of PS4’s fitted tomorrow hope I’m not dissatisfied ! Wish I hadn’t read this thread :stupid:

IMO, PS4>P-Zero>Conti 6... Conti in general is just bad summer performance tire, be it 5 or 6.. P-Zero really need heavier car to really extract any performance from them at all and the rim protection is good maybe below 5 mph, rubber is rubber no matter how thick they are afterall… PS4 is pretty much the best street tire available right now, but as mentioned, summer tires are only good when they're up to working temp and pressure.

Thanks for the reply all

I am yet to adjust the pressure as I didn't get round to doing this weekend so will do that first. What should the pressure be for the 225/40/18 taking into account I rarely have weight in the car, just myself..

I think they probably need running in a bit as the grip seems to have improved but wasn't test their limits

Will report back once I have had more experience using them and clocked up some more miles

I have almost finished a set of PS4 on my S3, I found them pretty good in all conditions other than hot tarmac where for me they push (smear) across the road a little too much and feel like the tyre surface has overheated. My local summers are warmer than the UK and the tarmac can easily be 45deg+ so maybe I am expecting a little too much but as an overall road tyre pretty good. Did take a little scrubbing in but pressures are important, I run mine a little softer than spec as only ever me in the car (pressures are on the door).

Each person has different requirements/feeling through their tyres but for me I will change them to something else next time, only have 18inch so cant use the MPS4S, do think they are better than the CSC5 that came with the car. In my days of yoof and hot hatches always preferred goodyear eagle f1 so might throw a set of those on.

Yeah iv also heard a lot of good reviews on these so not writing them off straight away

Will give them some time to wear in and as others have said the grip should improve

How many miles did you get out of the set?

Might get 15k out of them, no town driving and mostly smooth and dry fast A roads.
I did swop front to rear mid way through and also used winters for 2-3 months.

I have a question - I've got PS4 tyres on my PFL S3 but I do find that they're not gripping well if I put my foot down (of course when it's not wet). I presume that if the Haldex pump has seized up (had the oil and filter cleaned recently), there would be an error coming up on VCDS?

I used Michelins for 30 years but found in the last 5 years, to be lacking!
Now use either Pirelli or Goodyear, cant fault them.