Michelin Pilot 4S on S4 245/35 R19

S

SwordfishCoupe

Just wondering if anyone has these on their S4. I have had a quote from Audi for them and also spoken to Costco as they have a good £75 voucher deal at present.

Anyway, chap at Costco told me that would not recommend putting non A0 tyres on the car due to a slight difference in shape and had a problem with rubbing on another S4. Which sounds pants to me, Costco have quoted about £66 cheaper (per tyre). I would need to speak with his manager otherwise they refused fitting them.

Also if anyone has fitted them what is the rim protection like?

Hi mate i have them on my RS4 255/35/19 and i think they are a great tyre for A4 Audi,s but not sure about wheel protection as i park miles away from kerbs.

They are called the internets best tyre. If you have the money to put these tyres on go for it. You don’t have to stretch yourself to buying these if you want decent tyres. They are considered the best though. Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetrical 3 is a really good tyre that will last. The guy saying he won’t put on A tyre that’s not AO rated is talking crap. There is no reason why you can’t put the correct size and load in any brand of your choosing. Although not a S4 I run 255/35/19 on a 8.5J rim with a 35 offset with zero issues including the sports suspension

I will speak to his manager as makes the 4S £192 fitted. Failing that the F1 Asym 3 is the runner up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have to admit that the Hankooks that came on my car have been good. 12k miles in (with 3-4k on winter tyres) and they're still at 6mm tread and I know that they offer really good alloy protection because my wife bumped the car against a curb coming off a roundabout. Shoved the whole car sideways but alloy was fine, just a chunk out of the protector on the tyre. I'll happily go for them again because I feel like the Michelins are great tyres but overkill for the few blasts that I have the chance to get.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
I agree, the Hankooks are as good as any other tyre out there. Good way to knock the tracking out though...

Reactions: Daggerit
I agree, the Hankooks are as good as any other tyre out there. Good way to knock the tracking out though...

Yeah, it was a decent shunt. I wasn't impressed as you can well imagine! Had lowering springs put on the week after though and the rear geometry wasn't far out when aligned, no more so on one side than the other either, which I was very surprised by.

It's easily done, tough old birds though, I mean the A4...

The Michelin 4S is on Black Circles at £191 per corner less £40 if you buy 4.
I get the impression the A0 rating is a marketing ploy to encourage you to buy from OEM brands.

I will be getting a set of the Michelins in a few weeks time but I am hoping to hang on and get 20k out of my Hankooks.

Reactions: WesT-gefül, SwordfishCoupe and Daggerit
My S4 came with Conti SportContact 6's on it. Just over 7k in and I've had both the front replaced as they were getting down to the indicators, plus got a terminal puncture on one. Local fitters did me £184 a tyre for the Conti SportContact 6's, plus flipped the old to the front and the new to the back.

What are people's views on different tyres front and back? I would keep them the same across the same axle, but for instance - could I go for Hankooks on the front next rather than paying the big cash for the Conti's?
This is on a PCH car btw - I have it until end October 2019. 22k allowance across the two years. Thanks

Reactions: Chris S 1245
I think the main issue with me personally is messing with the Quattro system by having tyres of significantly different tread depths (>3mm) as I believe it can cause excess wear on the system. The first indication I had that my A3 Quattro needed new front tyres was the way it felt driving as it felt odd and turned out to be that the Haldex system was operating when it wouldn't normally. I know the A4 platform is mechanical rather than electronically controlled for the centre diff but it's the same principal.

In terms of different brands, I'm sure that there will be a lot of opinions on that too. I personally wouldn't mind too much provided that one set isn't super sticky and one set super hard to where the levels of grip front to rear are significantly different. That's just my opinion though! :)

My S4 came with Conti SportContact 6's on it. Just over 7k in and I've had both the front replaced as they were getting down to the indicators, plus got a terminal puncture on one. Local fitters did me £184 a tyre for the Conti SportContact 6's, plus flipped the old to the front and the new to the back.

What are people's views on different tyres front and back? I would keep them the same across the same axle, but for instance - could I go for Hankooks on the front next rather than paying the big cash for the Conti's?
This is on a PCH car btw - I have it until end October 2019. 22k allowance across the two years. Thanks

Like you said keep them the same across the axel. Lots of reports of the conti tyres not lasting. 7k is horrendous mileage. Hankook or Goodyear F1 asy3 depending on offers. They are both in the £130 bracket delivered.

I swapped front to rears so that all mine would wear out at the same time.
I could tolerate a different make on each axle but I prefer to swap them all at the same time.

@Daggerit what winters were you on and what size?

Ummm, I can't actually remember what tyre they are exactly, they're a version of the Michelin Alpin range though. I went for 245/40/18 because I'd got my hands on a set of 18" A5 wheels that worked perfectly and fit over the brake calipers which was my main concern.

I've recently fitted goodyear f1 eagle 3 245 35 19 and to share my experience after having the hankooks from new is I think the hankooks are as good there was no noticeable drop in road noise and maybe the goodyears have a very slightly softer ride. Out of all the a4's I have driven in 19 inch the hankooks were the quietest.

Thanks for the F1 feedback. They can be bought for £125 online and very tempted.

I payed £608 fitted from black circles could have got cheaper online but was getting quoted £20 per wheel fitting by local fitters

I've got them on the front, just waiting for the rears to wear out to fit them there too. The cheapest place I found was mytyres.co.uk for £362.32 fitted for the 2 with 4% cash back through topcashback. They took 10 days to arrive though from Germany so not great if you are in a rush.

I payed £608 fitted from black circles could have got cheaper online but was getting quoted £20 per wheel fitting by local fitters

That’s expensive. Did you use the fitters that the online company provide? You’ll get better rates this way.

Well, in the end ordered some F1s online and getting shipped to a very trusted wheel place for fitting in a week or so. Considerably cheaper, which is just was well as booked the summer holiday last night.

The Michelin 4S is on Black Circles at £191 per corner less £40 if you buy 4.
I get the impression the A0 rating is a marketing ploy to encourage you to buy from OEM brands.

I will be getting a set of the Michelins in a few weeks time but I am hoping to hang on and get 20k out of my Hankooks.
Bit late to this but you can buy the A0 tyres from Black Circles and the other online retailers. The Pirelli P7s on my B8.5 S4 were the same price as the non A0 ones so went with them. Local tyre fitter ordered them no problem.

Yeah, it was a decent shunt. I wasn't impressed as you can well imagine! Had lowering springs put on the week after though and the rear geometry wasn't far out when aligned, no more so on one side than the other either, which I was very surprised by.
Interested to see a pic of your car with the springs fitted.....update your thread with pics!

Like wise mine came with continental sport compact 6s done 900 miles so far and I find they have been excellent so far with good grip on country roads and when it’s raining heavy. Gonna rotate mine when the front ones are worn.

I think the main issue with me personally is messing with the Quattro system by having tyres of significantly different tread depths (>3mm) as I believe it can cause excess wear on the system. The first indication I had that my A3 Quattro needed new front tyres was the way it felt driving as it felt odd and turned out to be that the Haldex system was operating when it wouldn't normally. I know the A4 platform is mechanical rather than electronically controlled for the centre diff but it's the same principal.

In terms of different brands, I'm sure that there will be a lot of opinions on that too. I personally wouldn't mind too much provided that one set isn't super sticky and one set super hard to where the levels of grip front to rear are significantly different. That's just my opinion though! :)

Like you said keep them the same across the axel. Lots of reports of the conti tyres not lasting. 7k is horrendous mileage. Hankook or Goodyear F1 asy3 depending on offers. They are both in the £130 bracket delivered.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Yeah - I think the 7k is from lots of stop-start, town driving and giving it the beans where I can. They have been great, don't get me wrong - grippy in all instances, nice ride, no appreciably high road noise. But I can't bear to chuck so much into tyres for a two year lease. So I think the next thing will be to replace the fronts with Hankook's or the F1 Asy3's when they need doing and see how I go. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: WesT-gefül and Daggerit
Just a quick update, the F1s have arrived at the wheel company and booked in for fitting next Saturday.

Will update you when fitted.

Getting 4 new Eagle F1 Asy 3’s fitted tomorrow, purchased via Black Circle and happy with the price.

Around 2-3mm left on the current Conti Sports and covered 18k. Have been happy with them but hopefully the F1’s will be even better.

Reactions: SPIKE_
Getting 4 new Eagle F1 Asy 3’s fitted tomorrow, purchased via Black Circle and happy with the price.

Around 2-3mm left on the current Conti Sports and covered 18k. Have been happy with them but hopefully the F1’s will be even better.
Please post a few pics if you can. Would be interested in now they look overall and the rim protection they provide - if any at all!

Got mine fitted on Saturday, probably done 150 miles on them and really impressed with them. Not the best rim protection but everything looks wimpy compared to the A0 Pirelli.

Reactions: Riko0073
Here you go @SPIKE_S3

33967F07 273D 4100 90C6 432B84285DA4

14AEED0D 9180 4FE6 B373 B61C65CFFBCB

C78C53A2 6E45 44A6 BCEC 88B4F0CEBD35

Definitely not much in the way of rim protection, I’ll just have to keep being careful near those damn curbs!!

Reactions: SPIKE_
@Riko0073 thanks for that :icon thumright:

The tyres look really good, although your right about the rim protection.....basically non existent!

Reactions: Riko0073