MIB2 vs MIB1 high

• Thread starter Deleted member 117185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 117185

hi all,

I’m wanting to retrofit MIB2 into my A3. There’s some MMI buttons for sale on eBay for MIB2 for £55 which is significantly cheaper than £915 that Audi want new!!

I’m under the impression that my MIB1 high 7 inch screen is also up to the job of running an MIB2 unit so I’ve no need to swap that.

I then need the USB ports for carplay and loom which I can source again from eBay for £160.

Then comes the glovebox “brain”. I’ve found one on German eBay with Part number 8v1035035 which is £665.

So that would be £880 all in.

I’ve also found a company in Doncaster’s called VAGTEC uk who supply and fit the full kit for £1500 and that’s includes coding the equipment to your VIN (component protection etc). They’ve advised I could also fit my own kit and just take it to them for the VIN coding and CP removal which costs £35. They will also fit the kit for £60. So that would work out at £880 in parts and £95 in labour which makes it under £1000 for a full retrofit. They will even take my old kit in part exchange for £200 if I wanted to, as I’m not sure how easy it would be to sell on.

Questions....

Does the glovebox unit have to be a certain part number for it to have CarPlay?

Do all MIB2 units also have the touch wheel until the older MIB1 units?

Can anyone see any others stumbling blocks?

VAGTEC UK are so confident in their coding and retrofit abilities that’s they will even sell me the kit fully coded to my VIN before they ship it out to me and they just said it’s completelt plug and play that way. But for £60 I’d rather they just fit it....

Maybe @DJAlix can answer some of these questions? Or maybe @larbel

Thanks!

hi all,

I’m wanting to retrofit MIB2 into my A3. There’s some MMI buttons for sale on eBay for MIB2 for £55 which is significantly cheaper than £915 that Audi want new!!

I’m under the impression that my MIB1 high 7 inch screen is also up to the job of running an MIB2 unit so I’ve no need to swap that.

I then need the USB ports for carplay and loom which I can source again from eBay for £160.

Then comes the glovebox “brain”. I’ve found one on German eBay with Part number 8v1035035 which is £665.

So that would be £880 all in.

I’ve also found a company in Doncaster’s called VAGTEC uk who supply and fit the full kit for £1500 and that’s includes coding the equipment to your VIN (component protection etc). They’ve advised I could also fit my own kit and just take it to them for the VIN coding and CP removal which costs £35. They will also fit the kit for £60. So that would work out at £880 in parts and £95 in labour which makes it under £1000 for a full retrofit. They will even take my old kit in part exchange for £200 if I wanted to, as I’m not sure how easy it would be to sell on.

Questions....

Does the glovebox unit have to be a certain part number for it to have CarPlay?

Do all MIB2 units also have the touch wheel until the older MIB1 units?

Can anyone see any others stumbling blocks?

VAGTEC UK are so confident in their coding and retrofit abilities that’s they will even sell me the kit fully coded to my VIN before they ship it out to me and they just said it’s completelt plug and play that way. But for £60 I’d rather they just fit it....

Maybe @DJAlix can answer some of these questions? Or maybe @larbel

Thanks!
May the force with with you. 100% that at that price the MIB2 unit will not be activated for all features and only the Radio will work once component protection is removed.

edit: the above is re your own pricing. No idea what VAG tech supply for that money but if that's their fully fitted and working price take it now.

not sure if carplay/android auto is only on MMi2 high but i believe its only available as a SWaP etc if not already activated. There are 2 types of controller, only one has touch. I bought wrong one as ETKA said it was high version but it appears that doesnt mean touch.

May the force with with you. 100% that at that price the MIB2 unit will not be activated for all features and only the Radio will work once component protection is removed.

edit: the above is re your own pricing. No idea what VAG tech supply for that money but if that's their fully fitted and working price take it now.

http://vagtec.co.uk/eshop/audi/a3/a...it-navigation-mib2-with-dab-no-sim-a3-8v.html

In that case it may be worth going to see them and just letting them fit that. They’ve said it will be around £300-400 cheaper than the price advertised as I don’t need the screen.... @DJAlix i would like to come and see you and have this done, I have messaged you if you could give me a costing for this?

Attachments

• 5AAD15E5-A62A-45C2-99AE-DA6E82DC5878.png
    5AAD15E5-A62A-45C2-99AE-DA6E82DC5878.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 352
http://vagtec.co.uk/eshop/audi/a3/a...it-navigation-mib2-with-dab-no-sim-a3-8v.html

In that case it may be worth going to see them and just letting them fit that. They’ve said it will be around £300-400 cheaper than the price advertised as I don’t need the screen.... @DJAlix i would like to come and see you and have this done, I have messaged you if you could give me a costing for this?
I cannot get close to that price as I use new and unused parts. As mentioned, if that's really their pricing buy it now... before I do.