MIB1 HIGH unit - can I replace with MIB2 HIGH?

taurus

Reaction score
Hello all!

The MIB1 unit with 4G on my 2014 S3 has gone on the blink (module not recognised). I have found a 2016 MIB2 unit and wondered if this can be fitted as a replacement?

If so, I have a few important questions (I have VACGOM):
- do I need any other parts?
- what will I need to do with VCDS to mate it to my car?
- are there any gremlins / protection issues that might stump me?!
- is this a stupid idea?

My MIB1 unit - 8V0 035 036 B
Offered MIB2 unit - 8V1 035 035 D

Looks like the MIB2 unit has another couple of connectors - assume for the USB / CarPlay (if that's a feature). Is there a cable one can buy to add the USB interface? Photos attached at end of post.

Supposed to have SIM/4G, which mine has.

@DJAlix - am I dreaming to think this will be easy?!

Many thanks indeed.

Taurus

Existing MIb1 unit:
Old unit

Replacement MIB2 unit:
New unit

Last edited:
I would say component protection needs removed
Newer units have usb sockets over the old ami socket. Newer units might have dab as standard where as old one may not.
Potentially lots of coding/adaptation/parameterisation. Don’t think it’s 5 minute job.

when you fit it the component protection will kick in. When you get this removed by Audi or a 3rd party it will remove the carplay and maps off the unit and you will have to pay to have them enabled again. That wont be cheap. A few people go down the hacked option where the CP is "removed".

You may also have to change the port in the armrest depending on what you already have.

when you fit it the component protection will kick in. When you get this removed by Audi or a 3rd party it will remove the carplay and maps off the unit and you will have to pay to have them enabled again. That wont be cheap. A few people go down the hacked option where the CP is "removed".

You may also have to change the port in the armrest depending on what you already have.
Wont be cheap? More like won't be possible, via official methods anyway. Only way to retrofit and MIB2 unit in to a vehicle that is not supposed to have it would be to have the unit hacked.

Hi All, I have a mmi mstd and have installed a mib1 in my car and there is no sound and component protection is on. I keep hearing i will loose some functions like satnav ect when i get CP removed. Will all functions remain intact if i get it hacked or will i still loose some functions. Need some help with this one.

Thank in advance.
Teck b.

Hi All, I have a mmi mstd and have installed a mib1 in my car and there is no sound and component protection is on. I keep hearing i will loose some functions like satnav ect when i get CP removed. Will all functions remain intact if i get it hacked or will i still loose some functions. Need some help with this one.

Thank in advance.
Teck b.
Once CP is removed all features bar Radio will shutdown. If you are able to visit me in north London I can do the CP and activate all features.

Once CP is removed all features bar Radio will shutdown. If you are able to visit me in north London I can do the CP and activate all features.
Hi DJAlix, i live in manchester so would have to post it to you so how long would you need the mmi for and what is the price to get it fully working.

Thank
Pteck.

Hi DJAlix, i live in manchester so would have to post it to you so how long would you need the mmi for and what is the price to get it fully working.

Thank
Pteck.
I would need the unit for a day. Will pm you.

Forgot how to do it not done this for a while i know you hold certain buttons

Hi sorry for the late reply just had some bad news. here is my mmi IMG 1900 version details

Ok do you only need the mmi unit as i'm waiting for a controller pod as mine has cracked while fitting. Send me your postal details and i will forward it on to you asap and thank for the help and i will make sure you get the feedback you deserve mate....