MIB 3 Infotainment System

Diazro

Reaction score
I have a C8 registered in UK in September 2020. Does my car has a MIB 3 or a MIB 2 infotainment system? How can you tell? Thank you

I think it will be MIB3, but a couple of ways to check, at least things I noticed when switching from my MIB-2 C8 (Sept 2018 build) to the current MIB-3 (April 2021 build) one are
  • Does it have wireless Apple CarPlay, my MIB-2 car only support wired
  • Does the Navigation system, store and display the option for frequent (favourite) routes MIB-2 did, MIB-3 does not
Note neither of my cars had TechPack upgrade so this applies to the standard MMI systems

Wireless Carplay can be activated also on MIB2 (VCDS/OBD11).

Reactions: SBPhoto and abmat
Wireless Carplay can be activated also on MIB2 (VCDS/OBD11).
Took my Audi A6 Avant 2019 into Audi dealership to day to fix why i couldn't connect apple carplay wirelessly - They informed me is that my model runs MMI MIB2+ which is only be set to USB connect only. Is this true or can it be retro switched to connect wirelessly, if so how do I go about setting this?

That is correct MIB2 cars can only connect to Apple CarPlay (and Android Auto) by cable. Cars built from late 2020 onwards (have USB-C sockets in armrest not USB-A) can support wireless Apple CarPlay but Android Auto still requires a cable connection (think this is a licensing rather than technology issue). Not aware of any means to update earlier cars to support wireless connections. Again I think this is partly a licensing issue as it appears both Apple and Android charge manufacturers different prices depending on whether the connection is wired or wireless

Reactions: Coolcar.ch
My 2019y a6 c8 supports wireless carplay, android is cable only. I just enabled it with obd11.
If it gives anything, I got MMI Plus with Large 10,1 inch screen

My 2019y a6 c8 supports wireless carplay, android is cable only. I just enabled it with obd11.
If it gives anything, I got MMI Plus with Large 10,1 inch screen

Clearly I am wrong in what I said earlier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: wasfer
My 2019 registered C8 with Tech Pack has wireless CarPlay enabled from factory.

MIB2 has wireless Apple Car Play function to code, but will never work (only I found only one MIB2 unit where it was running).
MIB3 has it onboard, very early version don't have it, but all from 2020 should be fine.

My Dec 2018 A6 has the home screen with the "tile buttons" for navigation, phone etc. I've noticed on newer vehicles there is another screen with 3 "widgets", anyone got any info on the functionality these offer?

My Dec 2018 A6 has the home screen with the "tile buttons" for navigation, phone etc. I've noticed on newer vehicles there is another screen with 3 "widgets", anyone got any info on the functionality these offer?
If you have the Tech pack option then it is possible to have the screen display map plus phone and media selection all on the one screen (you swipe right on the Home Screen). If you have the standard system then you do not get that facility regardless of whether it is MIB-2 or MIB-3

If you have the Tech pack option then it is possible to have the screen display map plus phone and media selection all on the one screen (you swipe right on the Home Screen). If you have the standard system then you do not get that facility regardless of whether it is MIB-2 or MIB-3
I have the Tech pack, but not this extra screen. Not sure if it's a software update or the newer MIB that has it?

how to get the wireless car play coded as I have normal USB in armrest so I suspect I have MIB-2 ?

will buying this sort the issue ?

Last edited:
MIB2 and MIB2P (plus) are very different units. Don’t confuse the two. Plus can do wireless if the firmware version is correct and all is coded as needed.
Been on the email and Kufatec but found them very unhelpfull. I screen shot them my software version but they did not answer me if this will for my car.

Quote: „
Only suitable for vehicles with PR number: 7UG MMI navigation plus navigation system with touch function and with PR number: UF8 Carplay”

…and I just can’t find none of these 7UG or PR UF8 nowhere in my MMI

IMG 3139
IMG 3140

Wireless CarPlay is possible. You have a coding partner in Leicester that can do this for you:

VAGPro
Sound. Are you allowed to tell me his name here or no ? That kufatec think is only £100 but just could not get the answer from them

Call me old fashioned but it might be an idea to actually give VAGPro a call. It’s also the Xmas eve so I would not be expecting a reply until businesses return to work.

Call me old fashioned but it might be an idea to actually give VAGPro a call. It’s also the Xmas eve so I would not be expecting a reply until businesses return to work.

Shocking eh Alex, how dare someone not respond right away at Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you know it! Lol

I get phone calls and messages at 3am “bro, eye got an Audi ain’t it. Need my rear lights to sweep”. Then at 4am “why you not answering bro? “ lol

Reactions: 8YARWY
Shocking eh Alex, how dare someone not respond right away at Christmas

Where did I said I need answer today ? I also said in my message let me know once back at work after Christmas don’t panic

Where did I said I need answer today ? I also said in my message let me know once back at work after Christmas don’t panic

lol easy tiger……. Chill

Just come back from the lad all sorted, he also change my light animation to RS mode ;)

Happy customer

Thanks for help

Reactions: mickwillow
you should have it mate as standard yours are the same as mine turn on coming home /leaving home and lock the car!

in regards too mib model mines a verison mib2+ on a 68 plate mmi is the same full gloss button version as s6/rs6 without red power/start button and i have recent destinations/favourites as standard on maps? no wireless carplay but activated no problem with genuine vcds lead only have 1 display for virtual dash though cant seem too unlock that g meter and power tourqe meter also activated

Last edited:
mines active as standard its called animation in vcds doesn't mention rs! says headlight /taillight animation

mines active as standard its called animation in vcds doesn't mention rs! says headlight /taillight animation
There are two different animation mate. Standard one - only available when tou have the hd matrix lights and RS mode what you can activate.

mate mines been in had several updates and they have been like that exact video from factory that is no rs animation the rs animation has a lazer light ✌️