Mi11arsW.I.P

Mi11ar

Reaction score
Mi11ars W.I.P

Hi guys I'm Millar from around the Liverpool area, I'm creating this thread even though work hasn't really begun on the Car but it will in the next few days, I'll update it as often as I can and any advice is appreciated.

I had a 1.8i 16v 3 door Focus for about 3 years but got bored of it, and out grown it so I decided to buy myself a Audi A3 1.8T Sport, this would be my first Turbo'd Car and VAG, it had less than 90k on the clock and for a 1999 I was pleased with that, full service history and only 1 lady owner, the clutch and fly wheel had only just been changed a few days before so I think I got a bargain for £950 with 12 Months MOT.

it's Gun Metal Grey and despite a very small ding on the boot and a scuff on the arch the bodywork is in perfect shape, has a full cream leather interior and the Bose sound system upgrade with hidden Bass Box and AMP.

Here's some pics anyway:

First attempt at waxing (got the missus to do it she spent over 2 hours while I made brews hahaha)​

2nd thing done when I got it home was bought 6 Months Tax (not 12 because I'm a cheep *******)

Future plans are:

• Full service and cam-belt/water pump change
  • Recirculating dump valve
  • Panel Filter
  • Lower 30mm
  • S4 Alloys
  • New head unit
  • Boost gauges (looking to get 3 small ones and position them in a similar location to were the ST/RS has them)
  • Blacked out grill
  • Rear tinted windows
  • Tinted head/rear lights
  • S3 spoiler
  • S3 front/rear bumper
  • Manifold
  • Exhaust (not sure on exhaust yet, might have a de-cat or might go cat back gotta look at the pros and conns)
  • Remap
  • Ambient interior lighting
  • Smaller aerial
  • Smoothed standard air box

So far that's all I have planned at the moment no doubt that list will grow, but I will cross things off as I go along, I'm in the forces and use the Car on a regular basis covering over 600miles most weekends to see my family and get to and from camp, so I need the Car to stay as reliable as possible but at the same-time want a little more out of the engine performance wise, I won't be doing as much traveling around come September time so the real big changes can happen to the Car around then.

That's me and my Car anyway if I can make it to any local meets I'll do my best to meet you all :)

Last edited:
Reactions: superkarl
you sir are a legend. getting your other half to wax the car. How did you do that?!
you definately got a bargain there. There seems to be alot of bargain A3s about, its getting tempting.

i live in liverpool too btw, city centre, close to the Royal hospital. So if you ever need any help, or want to go for a hoon (when my car is back) then let me know.

Reactions: Mi11ar
you sir are a legend. getting your other half to wax the car. How did you do that?!
you definately got a bargain there. There seems to be alot of bargain A3s about, its getting tempting.

i live in liverpool too btw, city centre, close to the Royal hospital. So if you ever need any help, or want to go for a hoon (when my car is back) then let me know.

haha cheers fella, she found it "relaxing" she said, the original plan was for her to do half and for me to do the other, but apparently I wasn't doing it good enough so she decided to take over and do it all, including the interior and washing the Car before hand she probably spent over 3 hours with everything :D

Yea thanks got them down from £1,250, I've seen loads for similar price but most have a few more miles :)

I say Liverpool area because nobody has a clue about the Town I'm actually from (Ormskirk) but it's only a 10min drive so I might just take you up on your other 1 day, possibly when I next get leave around June time and begin on the Car

haha cheers fella, she found it "relaxing" she said, the original plan was for her to do half and for me to do the other, but apparently I wasn't doing it good enough so she decided to take over and do it all, including the interior and washing the Car before hand she probably spent over 3 hours with everything :D

Yea thanks got them down from £1,250, I've seen loads for similar price but most have a few more miles :)

I say Liverpool area because nobody has a clue about the Town I'm actually from (Ormskirk) but it's only a 10min drive so I might just take you up on your other 1 day, possibly when I next get leave around June time and begin on the Car
Haha thats incredible, you have a keeper there!
i know ormskirk for sure. i've lived in southport all of my life (poor me) but recently moved to liverpool city centre.
there's lots of forum members near us, really good fellas. In fact jay (turbo_jay) lives in ormskirk i think. Has a grey 2.0TFSI 8p a3.
we used to meet in warrington, but the last one we had was along the east lancs at a pub.
What are you in btw and where are you based? just being nosey. My mrs is ex-raf and i have plenty of friends and relatives in all the forces.

Haha thats incredible, you have a keeper there!
i know ormskirk for sure. i've lived in southport all of my life (poor me) but recently moved to liverpool city centre.
there's lots of forum members near us, really good fellas. In fact jay (turbo_jay) lives in ormskirk i think. Has a grey 2.0TFSI 8p a3.
we used to meet in warrington, but the last one we had was along the east lancs at a pub.
What are you in btw and where are you based? just being nosey. My mrs is ex-raf and i have plenty of friends and relatives in all the forces.

Yea I've actually recently married her so seems I've made the right choice ;) haha

Southport? did you ever go UKHotCars meets? I used to go allot but recently haven't had the time, I'll look out for his Car now.

I'm in the Royal Signals 11th Signal Regiment in Dorset hoping to get posted to 14 Sigs, my camps the Siganls HQ but is actually owned by the RAF so she might know it (Blandford)

Yea I've actually recently married her so seems I've made the right choice ;) haha

Southport? did you ever go UKHotCars meets? I used to go allot but recently haven't had the time, I'll look out for his Car now.

I'm in the Royal Signals 11th Signal Regiment in Dorset hoping to get posted to 14 Sigs around September time, my camps the Siganls HQ but is actually owned by the RAF so she might know it (Blandford)
oh lord, UKhotcars, dear me, yes i've been twice i think, its an experience. a far cry from the vag meets im used to haha. I dont know if theyre still going.
wow dorset is quite a way! unfortunate place to be based.
My mrs was based at Raf high Wycombe, that was far enough.

oh lord, UKhotcars, dear me, yes i've been twice i think, its an experience. a far cry from the vag meets im used to haha. I dont know if theyre still going.
wow dorset is quite a way! unfortunate place to be based.
My mrs was based at Raf high Wycombe, that was far enough.

They are still going lol, they have joined up with a much larger group from Preston Modified Northwest or something like that there called, I think they have 2 meets a Month ones in Preston and ones in Southport, not much in the VAG department apart from the odd Golf.

Yes it is 235Mile drive to work, so that's 470Miles most weekends not including driving around Town or any other trips I do between, so hence me being careful with the mods until I'm based somewhere else were I will have marriage quarters and wont have to worry about reliability as much.

I work with allot of RAF they're camps are always nicer than ours for some reason haha, as the old saying goes "We dig in, they book in" haha

Just ordered a full 2.5" system from Blue Flame with a decat will post pics when fitted :)

992997 10151460366210108 597884047 n

Honda S2000 Filter waiting to be put on.

Notable thread:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/192456-s2000-filter-problems.html#post1905642

Last edited:
Got the badge and chrome surrounding off and applied the 1st layer of black gloss:

What engine code is this buddy?

I think you should also add the facelift rear lights to your future mod list- really brings the rear up to date and can get a set for about 40-60 posted.

What engine code is this buddy?

I think you should also add the facelift rear lights to your future mod list- really brings the rear up to date and can get a set for about 40-60 posted.

I'll find out for you tomorrow.

Good suggestion I was going to get the standard ones tinted but that's an MOT failure so this idea is probably the better, thanks for the tip :)

I can't edit my 1st post to change the list :p lol

First attempt at painting ANYTHING!! lol I refuse to even strip wallpaper so this is a big deal for me... lol

Shiny bits all removed

and so the spraying begun...

Finished product:

I'm actually really happy with the results and it's given me even more confidence (probably a band thing), there not amazing but I'm really proud of them as it's the first time I've done anything like this :)

good job, i said this in another post but painting isnt actually that hard to get a professional finish as long as you got sand paper and time

Cheers I'm thinking of attacking the wheels next been given a few tips already so anymore before I make the point of no return would be apprichiated

ive dont a fair few wheels, tbh it depends how good a finish you want, you can just do about 4 layers of paint and 4 of laquer and it lasts but up close looks a bit naf, to get a good job this is what i do

sand down with some rough paper till all the paint is off
wash off
filler primer 2 coats
sand down with some wet and dry fine grit
primer 3 coats
sand down again with fine wet and dry
4 coats of paint let it cook in the sun for a few hours after the last coat
the 4 coats of laquer

tips for the actual painting, 30 mins before you want to use a can put it in some hot water (not boiling) let it warm up and shake it A LOT, keep it about 20-30 cm away even motions back and forth and leave about 30mins between each coat

Thanks for the advice, how long does that process usually take you then?

i would set aside a whole day for 4 wheels tbh but you can do it in a few hours if you have all 4 wheels off at one time (need 4 axle stands)

Went my friends today and had a little tinker with a few things.

I wasn't happy with the Gloss Black Spray from the tin, it chipped off really easily so we sprayed it with some plasti dip spray and it came out great (looks allot better in person) ignore the dirty bumper I've since cleaned and wax'd it.

We then toy'd with the idea of spraying the back badges black but instead went for removing them completely and going for the de-badge look.

We removed the badges with a Stanley knife, and then rubbed of the excess glue with warm water and a sponge took about 10 minutes.

Reactions: superkarl
Yea that was one of the first things I said when I stepped back and took a look at the Car, how simple is it to do though?

very simple, unclip the rear cover, few bolts and its out, get a bung off ebay (£3 iirc) and bung the washer jet up

Do you not find that the rear wiper is useful? I use mine all the time....

not once used them, you dont need them for MOT either, and I'm sure the rear windows are heated for winter

Last edited:
Over not once used them, you dont need them for MOT either, and I'm sure the rear windows are heated for winter

Fairy nuff, I used to have saloon cars that didn't have them but water lying on the screen makes everything blurry, but you're right it's not needed for an MOT, and it does look better without (and badges, which I might do to mine)...

I might have kept the wipers had I not already debadged the car, but I'm halfway there now and would be silly not to finish it off

not once used them, you dont need them for MOT either, and I'm sure the rear windows are heated for winter

Ever since I purchased my car back in 2008 I don't think I've used my rear wiper once! lol

I may as well take it off and bung it up as it's more hassle than it's worth when i'm cleaning the motor....I've almost had my eye out on it a few times! lol

Little update :)

The 70-80mm adapter arrived and with a little bit of force went on pretty snug.

Here it is in it's rightful place (ignore the cable ties there temporary as the shops were closed)

My front mount should arrive Friday along with my exhaust system but I have plans Saturday and I'm back on Camp Sunday so it will probably be Friday 5th July (my birthday) when I fit them 2, and then next payday will come the remap, I still need to throw in a Full service including a cam belt change and water pump change between all of this aswell, and with only having a few hours per weekend this could be interesting :p

Ever since I purchased my car back in 2008 I don't think I've used my rear wiper once! lol

I may as well take it off and bung it up as it's more hassle than it's worth when i'm cleaning the motor....I've almost had my eye out on it a few times! lol

Yes that's it! it's a god damm hazard! think of the Children!! lol

Last edited:
Reactions: kwistof
So it's Friday! and my Inter-cooler arrived but the exaust isn't ready and I go on a weeks exercise on Monday so it looks like I'll have to wait another week to fit my new parts.

But atleast I have new shiny parts! :)

Should have all this fitted within the next few weeks and then it's time for a custom map.

After that I will work on the brakes and get some coilovers and start looking at a bigger turbo :)

I bought it from an old friend of mine, he's had it in his garage for years, it was originally supposed to go on his mk4 1.8T Golf, but he bought a C30 T5 and forgot about it. He paid allot more than I paid him for it, he got it from a local place that modeled it from the Forge kit.

it might not be the best intercooler but it's easily capable for what I'll be needing it for some I'm happy with the purchase :)

The wifes just informed me that as part of my Birthday presents she's ordered me some pressed plates :)

it's been a few weeks as I've been on exercise but I've gotten a few little things done and here are the pics:

Old Gear knob

New S3 style knob

Old Aerial

New Aerial

Scratched side skirt

Side skirt after being sprayed with Stone Guard (dried allot smoother than what it looks in pic)

Clear Side Repeater

995724 10151488687010108 538520572 n

Tinted Rear Windows

970254 10151487903475108 1521188290 n

I also treated the Car to a good waxing session and spent a while cleaning up the wheels and alloys, recently had the tracking done and a new tire upfront.

1002939 10151488686265108 1971484586 n

1016697 10151488686550108 1569854363 n

A few random pics I took while parked up in work

1045086 10151492467245108 551148708 n

32603 10151492467735108 545645502 n

So in summary:
  • Tracking.
  • New Tire.
  • Wheels Balanced.
  • New smaller aerial.
  • New S3 style gear knob.
  • Clear Side repeaters.
  • Rear tinted windows.

Still waiting on my exhaust to get finished (ordered a full 2.5'' system with decat) soon as that's done I'll have it fitted hoping for that to be done end of the Month, and I also still have the front mount waiting to go on, as it's universal and comes with no instructions I might get a garage to do it, not sure though anyone got any suggestions? how easy is it to do DIY?

Buying a laptop this Month and since I have parts qued to be fitted I think the only thing that will happen this Month is my wheels being sprayed Black.

Been a while since last update but bought a few little bits and pieces, aswell as giving the Car a full service, water pump change and cam belt change.

Ordered Coilovers
Wind deflectors
Chrome wing mirror covers
Plasti dip (black for wheels)
and an S3 spoiler

Only the chrome wing mirror covers have arrived yet so here's what they look like:

Before

After: