MG1/MD1 Series ECUs cracked (B9)

355bhp sounds a bit optimistic no? Although the torque figure does look realistic.

I asked jfa and amd tuning who could have done it for cheaper but we're quoting 320bhp with similar torque figure.

I don't know if your running any tuning box on your car but would be interesting to see your feedback if you do go for the remap.

I'm interested to see how different the remap would feel as I'm very impressed with the results from just my tuning box

Yeah I was a bit optimistic looking at the figures, although darkside developments were pretty close to them. DMS are well known, but they normally do the higher end or the market. McLaren, Porsche’s, merc GTs. Have a look on there instagram and the get massive figures out of everything they work on.

Reactions: And1 and syed123
Yeah I was a bit optimistic looking at the figures, although darkside developments were pretty close to them. DMS are well known, but they normally do the higher end or the market. McLaren, Porsche’s, merc GTs. Have a look on there instagram and the get massive figures out of everything they work on.

Yeah, I've seen darksides posts also.

I haven't heard of DMS before this post and after seeing an ad on their inst, but their aftercare and figures look really promising.

How are you getting on with your tmc motorsport gearbox module?

I saw something on the instructions the other day that said the procedure to remove the flash is the same as the procedure to install it! Must explain why I've had to do it a number of times..

And are u planning on remapping soon?

Yeah, I've seen darksides posts also.

I haven't heard of DMS before this post and after seeing an ad on their inst, but their aftercare and figures look really promising.

How are you getting on with your tmc motorsport gearbox module?

I saw something on the instructions the other day that said the procedure to remove the flash is the same as the procedure to install it! Must explain why I've had to do it a number of times..

And are u planning on remapping soon?

The TMC still plays about a bit, but only when the car is cold, once up to temperature it seems to be pretty good.
I’ll get the remap done once Audi have stopped being twats and sorted my car out!

I have a pre sense fault that pops up every 10 mins. The cameras heater element has blown, which you can see and the fault is saying it’s that. But they are blaming it on the tow bar I had fitted 6 months before the fault started.
I’ve also had a propshaft changed as I had a noise coming from the back, sounds like a wheel bearings gone but only when you touch the throttle. Diff change next as the noise is still there. Should find out next week when it’s in.

Reactions: syed123
The TMC still plays about a bit, but only when the car is cold, once up to temperature it seems to be pretty good.
I’ll get the remap done once Audi have stopped being twats and sorted my car out!

I have a pre sense fault that pops up every 10 mins. The cameras heater element has blown, which you can see and the fault is saying it’s that. But they are blaming it on the tow bar I had fitted 6 months before the fault started.
I’ve also had a propshaft changed as I had a noise coming from the back, sounds like a wheel bearings gone but only when you touch the throttle. Diff change next as the noise is still there. Should find out next week when it’s in.

I find the tmc flash works really well when installed correctly, but annoying as it does take a few hundred miles for me anyway to feel the difference and it improves with time.

Wow that seems like quite a few issues, what's the mileage of your car? My warranty is up in August and done 58k miles with no major issues.

I find the tmc flash works really well when installed correctly, but annoying as it does take a few hundred miles for me anyway to feel the difference and it improves with time.

Wow that seems like quite a few issues, what's the mileage of your car? My warranty is up in August and done 58k miles with no major issues.

I’ve done 50k and warranty runs out end of this month.
Once the warranty work is done I’m not going to Audi again.

Reactions: And1 and NevMan
Regarding "bench" flashing there's a comment on Audizine from APR who are working with the Autotuner tool. Apparently due to the location of the ECU on the B9 and easy access to it, they don't actually need to remove it in order to do the "bench" flash. So it is almost as easy as an OBD flash.

Reactions: NevMan and Kondax
Got mine booked in for a remap at DMS next Friday. I asked if they do gearbox tuning and they said they would update and fine tune the gearbox included with the ecu remap price. Be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Reactions: And1
I'll be installing a decat soon so will need a remap to prevent CELs

Got mine booked in for a remap at DMS next Friday. I asked if they do gearbox tuning and they said they would update and fine tune the gearbox included with the ecu remap price. Be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Which motor are you getting mapped..

355bhp sounds a bit optimistic no? Although the torque figure does look realistic.

I asked jfa and amd tuning who could have done it for cheaper but we're quoting 320bhp with similar torque figure.

I don't know if your running any tuning box on your car but would be interesting to see your feedback if you do go for the remap.

I'm interested to see how different the remap would feel as I'm very impressed with the results from just my tuning box
I think I'm going to go for the DMS map I'm giving up with the tuning box I've now had around 4 different maps downloaded and all have made it run poorly. The performance is there just can't get rid of the intermittent diesel knock ruining the sound of the engine

I think I'm going to go for the DMS map I'm giving up with the tuning box I've now had around 4 different maps downloaded and all have made it run poorly. The performance is there just can't get rid of the intermittent diesel knock ruining the sound of the engine

Have you been back in to get an update? And if I last recall are you running the single or tri channel box?

I know how you feel, my car didn't run all that good a few times but it was rectified. Yeah the performance was there but it was only at silly speeds where you could use it.

Now you feel it everywhere in the rev range and the torque is so low down that you don't need to do silly speeds to feel the difference.

Let me know how you get on if you go the Dms route!

Have you been back in to get an update? And if I last recall are you running the single or tri channel box?

I know how you feel, my car didn't run all that good a few times but it was rectified. Yeah the performance was there but it was only at silly speeds where you could use it.

Now you feel it everywhere in the rev range and the torque is so low down that you don't need to do silly speeds to feel the difference.

Let me know how you get on if you go the Dms route!
I've the latest tri channel box and had the same maps sent as you have. Just waiting to see the results Dms get on Baj257 car next fri

I've the latest tri channel box and had the same maps sent as you have. Just waiting to see the results Dms get on Baj257 car next fri

I can’t wait to get it done. I’ve just ordered an air filter to put on, don’t know if it will make any difference. Just fitting 034 front strut and rear anti roll bar so I’ll put pics up when I’m done.

Reactions: NevMan and And1
I can’t wait to get it done. I’ve just ordered an air filter to put on, don’t know if it will make any difference. Just fitting 034 front strut and rear anti roll bar so I’ll put pics up when I’m done.
Will be interesting to see the results and the figures they get.
I think with the gearbox tune included with the remap and after service they offer probably one of the best tuners around

All finished after 5 hours. It went up to 345bhp at one point but they dialled it back to 323bhp for what I’ll be using the car for, 90% of the time on the motorway.

It’s chucking it down with rain at the moment so couldn’t proper go for it, but on the roads I could apply some right foot it picks up really well, the torque is immense! Gearbox feels good as well. I’ll give some better feedback once I’ve done more miles in it and I can push it a bit more.
0f2e57f7a011eb0a7dce5ec94f8cf8e7.jpg

Reactions: Riko0073, HOGG, NevMan and 1 other person
All finished after 5 hours. It went up to 345bhp at one point but they dialled it back to 323bhp for what I’ll be using the car for, 90% of the time on the motorway.

It’s chucking it down with rain at the moment so couldn’t proper go for it, but on the roads I could apply some right foot it picks up really well, the torque is immense! Gearbox feels good as well. I’ll give some better feedback once I’ve done more miles in it and I can push it a bit more.
0f2e57f7a011eb0a7dce5ec94f8cf8e7.jpg

Great results there! But did they dial it back due to potential reliability issues with running higher power?also looking at the torque graph seems in excess of 520lbs ft! But the torque seems to come in quite late couldn't they bring it to come in under 2000rpm?How different does the gearbox map feel to the tmc one?

Great results there! But did they dial it back due to potential reliability issues with running higher power?also looking at the torque graph seems in excess of 520lbs ft! But the torque seems to come in quite late couldn't they bring it to come in under 2000rpm?How different does the gearbox map feel to the tmc one?

They didn’t mention anything about reliability issues. You sit down with them and they ask you what you’re looking for out of it and what type of driving you do most of the time and tailor it to that. Don’t know why the torque comes in late. It certainly hasn’t got any lag when you put your foot down.
The gearbox feels a lot different from the journey I had back in it, but they said it would feel different anyway without the gearbox tune as the torque is so much higher. It doesn’t feel as jerky at lower speed in traffic. I’ll give some more feedback once I’ve covered a few more miles.
DMS certainly know what they are up to, very professional and a great service. My boy spent 5 hours playing on there racing simulator. They do mobile remapping anywhere in the country, you just won’t have the rolling road done.

Reactions: NevMan and And1
They didn’t mention anything about reliability issues. You sit down with them and they ask you what you’re looking for out of it and what type of driving you do most of the time and tailor it to that. Don’t know why the torque comes in late. It certainly hasn’t got any lag when you put your foot down.
The gearbox feels a lot different from the journey I had back in it, but they said it would feel different anyway without the gearbox tune as the torque is so much higher. It doesn’t feel as jerky at lower speed in traffic. I’ll give some more feedback once I’ve covered a few more miles.
DMS certainly know what they are up to, very professional and a great service. My boy spent 5 hours playing on there racing simulator. They do mobile remapping anywhere in the country, you just won’t have the rolling road done.

How are u getting on so far?

My cars been at Audi for the past 3 weeks due to a water pump leak! Should be getting it next week.

I miss the power and effortless torque so much. I've got the 190tfsi ATM and it's fun it's in own way, can put the power down nicely without worrying ur gonna kill urself lol and it's a change when you get to rev out a petrol engine.

I'm not sure yet if I'll upgrade to the remap cause I'm happy with what tdi tuning did and the tmc flash.

Interested to know though if the gearbox mapping is that much better with what you've done so far.

340plus bhp sounds like something I'd want as the only dyno run that was done for my map was a a6 allroad 272 that put out 318bhp/700nm torque.

Mine feels around that much but on times feels more..

How are u getting on so far?

My cars been at Audi for the past 3 weeks due to a water pump leak! Should be getting it next week.

I miss the power and effortless torque so much. I've got the 190tfsi ATM and it's fun it's in own way, can put the power down nicely without worrying ur gonna kill urself lol and it's a change when you get to rev out a petrol engine.

I'm not sure yet if I'll upgrade to the remap cause I'm happy with what tdi tuning did and the tmc flash.

Interested to know though if the gearbox mapping is that much better with what you've done so far.

340plus bhp sounds like something I'd want as the only dyno run that was done for my map was a a6 allroad 272 that put out 318bhp/700nm torque.

Mine feels around that much but on times feels more..

Yeah good, it’s weird though. So it feels quick but not rapid, like pin you back in the seat rapid. But you look down at the speedo and it’s reached 120 in no time. It just pulls constantly in every gear and all the way through the gear. For me it feels much better than the tuning box I had, but I didn’t really get on with the tuning box. I know it works for a lot of people, that’s good if your happy with what you’ve got. But the tuning box will never be as good as a custom map.
The gearbox feels much better when changing up and down the gears, it’s smooth but quick. But it still jolts in traffic between 1st and 2nd at low speed. It also messes about a bit when the car is cold like it did before.
I’ll find out next week when I’m back at work what the fuel consumption is like.
Really pleased with what has been done to the car, well worth the money for me. Also really recommend the 034 motorsport rear anti roll bar and front strut brace. Completely changed the way the car feels and turns in the corners, it just sticks to the road. The ride hasn’t been effective either, just no body roll.

Reactions: syed123 and And1
Yeah good, it’s weird though. So it feels quick but not rapid, like pin you back in the seat rapid. But you look down at the speedo and it’s reached 120 in no time. It just pulls constantly in every gear and all the way through the gear. For me it feels much better than the tuning box I had, but I didn’t really get on with the tuning box. I know it works for a lot of people, that’s good if your happy with what you’ve got. But the tuning box will never be as good as a custom map.
The gearbox feels much better when changing up and down the gears, it’s smooth but quick. But it still jolts in traffic between 1st and 2nd at low speed. It also messes about a bit when the car is cold like it did before.
I’ll find out next week when I’m back at work what the fuel consumption is like.
Really pleased with what has been done to the car, well worth the money for me. Also really recommend the 034 motorsport rear anti roll bar and front strut brace. Completely changed the way the car feels and turns in the corners, it just sticks to the road. The ride hasn’t been effective either, just no body roll.

I agree, a custom remap will always better than box.

Having said that though I'm very impressed with the latest map tdi tuning put on for me.

Most the torque is available around 1500rpm but it's more immense at 2500rpm.

The thing is I had to specifically tell tdi tuning I wanted the torque to be low as possible, because getting full power at silly speeds isn't what I wanted. Because when they first put the map on I only really felt it on the motorway and in the mid range, not from a standing start. I wanted to feel the low down effortless pull at all times, so I'm glad they made that change.

Does your car feel like it 'Wafts' about almost at lower speeds in town? That's another thing I liked about the way the box worked, it's so nice waving that torque.

Interesting that it still plays up in town.

Have u had any skirmishes with rival cars with similar power?

I managed to stay level with a golf r up to 60 and actually took the lead before it clawed back. N that car regular does 0 60 in under 4.6 seconds.

If you can take any videos of the acceleration obv when it's safe to do so that would be good!

I've got a few on my yt channel if you ever wanna look il share it or pm me

Also I think the dtuk map must have been generic, I wasn't happy at all with the stock tdi one, had to pester them to get the most out of it.

I'll calling up SA Tuning on Tuesday to get my S4 booked in for Stage 2. I'll post my results once I get them - I've been loving the DTUK box on Stage 2 maps though!

Reactions: syed123
Does your car feel like it 'Wafts' about almost at lower speeds in town? That's another thing I liked about the way the box worked, it's so nice waving that torque.
It's really good at low speeds in town, torque is always there when you need it. it sits in a higher gear when you're just cruising down the road. it will sit in 8th gear at 40mph, it didn't do that before. As soon as you put you foot down it changes pretty quick, you can hardly notice it's dropped from 8th to 3rd.

Have u had any skirmishes with rival cars with similar power?
Not yet, not with anything worth putting the effort into. Although i go back to work next week after our 2 week shut down and there is a few of us that have some good skirmishes when we leave work. most of us travel in the same direction for about 15 miles, Good range of cars. Hyundai i30N running 323BHP the same as mine, he's sponsored by forge motorsport and had some upgrades over the holidays, so that will be a good one, we were pretty even before i got a remap. Golf GTI with 320 BHP, he used to pull away from me after about 100, so i should get past him now! BMW M140i is a good one, he normally just ****** all over all of us, interesting how we compare now. But in the rain or snow i win every time!

If you can take any videos of the acceleration obv when it's safe to do so that would be good!
will do when i get time, i've tried the launch control yet!

Reactions: RobbieWebs, syed123 and Kondax
It's really good at low speeds in town, torque is always there when you need it. it sits in a higher gear when you're just cruising down the road. it will sit in 8th gear at 40mph, it didn't do that before. As soon as you put you foot down it changes pretty quick, you can hardly notice it's dropped from 8th to 3rd.

Not yet, not with anything worth putting the effort into. Although i go back to work next week after our 2 week shut down and there is a few of us that have some good skirmishes when we leave work. most of us travel in the same direction for about 15 miles, Good range of cars. Hyundai i30N running 323BHP the same as mine, he's sponsored by forge motorsport and had some upgrades over the holidays, so that will be a good one, we were pretty even before i got a remap. Golf GTI with 320 BHP, he used to pull away from me after about 100, so i should get past him now! BMW M140i is a good one, he normally just ****** all over all of us, interesting how we compare now. But in the rain or snow i win every time!

Mine sits at 8th at 40 too, it's a lot nicer to drive when the car sits at higher gears tbh.

That's a good range of cars! Although m140i is the one to beat lol, I've had a run with some on a roll and am quite evenly matched, however on a drag it pulled away surprisingly, it had very good traction.

Yeah, u gotta try launching, especially when you get the revs up to about 3500rpm and let go, the initial hit snaps ur neck back lol

Reactions: And1 and Deleted member 133011
Sorry to keep repeating this but I'd love to speak to anyone that has tuning box'd or remapped a 218 version of the 3.0 TDI B9.

Sorry to keep repeating this but I'd love to speak to anyone that has tuning box'd or remapped a 218 version of the 3.0 TDI B9.

I dont think anyone on this forum has with the 218 version.

Although I do recall a post from years ago where a tuner claimed they could take the 218 all the way past 300bhp as both the 272 and 218 have the same stock internals apart from the ecu.

I think the only real thorn is the s tronic, I can't see that taking the amount of torque the v6 tdi is truly capable of.

Why don't you try out a tuning box or contact any tuners like dms, amd or revo? I'm sure they could help

Although I do recall a post from years ago where a tuner claimed they could take the 218 all the way past 300bhp as both the 272 and 218 have the same stock internals apart from the ecu.

I think the only real thorn is the s tronic, I can't see that taking the amount of torque the v6 tdi is truly capable of.

Why don't you try out a tuning box or contact any tuners like dms, amd or revo? I'm sure they could help

Yes, everything you have stated there I've found from extensive searching, including many S-tronic discussions.

I'm hoping to find a few ppl that have actually done it and can confirm the gearbox hasn't melted.

I don't actually want to go 300 bhp and 500 torques I'd be quite happy with 250 horses and 450 or 470 torques.

But thank you for the reply.

Yes, everything you have stated there I've found from extensive searching, including many S-tronic discussions.

I'm hoping to find a few ppl that have actually done it and can confirm the gearbox hasn't melted.

I don't actually want to go 300 bhp and 500 torques I'd be quite happy with 250 horses and 450 or 470 torques.

Maybe if you go ahead and get a remap or tuning box, it's very worth doing the gearbox also.

That way you would get the best of both worlds. Is your car Quattro or front wheel drive?

Nothing yet on the APR site regarding a remap for the B9 V6 petrol ECU - anyone have any knowledge or experience regarding a re-map for that model elsewhere?

Nothing yet on the APR site regarding a remap for the B9 V6 petrol ECU - anyone have any knowledge or experience regarding a re-map for that model elsewhere?

APR do a lot of product development before they release things to make sure it won't blow the engine up, so I imagine that it'll be into 2020 before they release it. If you're in the UK, DMS (I think that's the name) and SA Tuning have got maps out for them.

EDIT: Just clicked that you're down under, so I'm afraid I don't know of any tuners down there for you...

Reactions: Kondax
Thanks mate - yes you are almost correct in that I am an Oz resident (Canberra) but this year have been living in London for the past couple of months trying to escape our cold Canberra winter.
I have had the DTUK 'box' fitted to my S4 since new and have no issues with that at all but as a loooong time APR user on five or six past cars would like to revert to their solution if and when it comes along.
Here in west London it appears as though every second car is either an Audi or MerBenz.
I also share others' surprise at the S4 being marketed in Euro markets as a diesel without a petrol option as the 2.9 V6 turbo engine is a cracker and hope that APR will produce a map that will provide around 310kW.
Happy motoring everyone.
Dingah

Reactions: Daggerit

Hopefully you will test drive the new S4 and do a comparison at some point
I'm really fancying this remap

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Maybe if you go ahead and get a remap or tuning box, it's very worth doing the gearbox also.

That way you would get the best of both worlds. Is your car Quattro or front wheel drive?

Quattro

I will second @Daggerit 's comment about the level of development that tuners like APR do. To those people who are new to tuning, please accept the basic fact that if you have your car tuned there will be an unknown impact on reliability. Unlike Audi whose R&D hangs engines on dynos and runs them for hours non-stop, and then does extensive road and track testing of the prototype cars, in comparison most tuners do relatively little testing. I understand that APR does a lot - they remove an engine and hang it on a dyno then use a lot of sensors to gather data whilst testing. But this is exceptional and even in itself is a lot less than the OEM did. APR's tune will be very telling in showing what they believe their tune should be without stressing the engine too much. However reliability can only be demonstrated mathematically (but in the case of tuning the component models no longer apply) or with real time testing.

The bottom line for us as consumers for tuning packages, we all take a risk when having our engines modified. In the case where there has been enough real time testing by many customers over several years (e.g. the B8), we can assess the risk and make a decision. In the case of a new engine, such as in the B9 S4 (and it is a totally new engine), with the ECU only just cracked, customers have to accept that they are taking a risk. It's going back a bit, but when the S4 last had a turbocharged engine, there were cases or turbo failures with some of the early and aggressive tunes.

Reactions: Daggerit
While the DTUK box is quite blunt, it is never the less effective:

Image from iOS 1

I cant help wonder what an S4 could do with a full stage 2 calibration however...

Reactions: Kondax, Bryant1998 and cuke2u
The DTUK box is a fine interim and a pretty safe option noting that the ECU is not touched and a few sensor input signals are 'adjusted'.
I have seen that graph and have discounted it on the basis that the temperature and altitude shown at the top of the graphs do not add up to the density altitude shown so am led to wonder what else has been 'adjusted' in that exercise. The **** Dyno suggest around a 4 second 0-60mph.

Dingah