MFSW With Aftermarket Head Unit - VCDS Required?

c0m47053

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have recently picked up a 2.0 TFSI Sport, with Bose Concert II audio. The car didn't come with a MFSW, and I am looking to retrofit.

I have searched around, and understand that because I have paddle shift and the Highline DIS, the steering wheel should be a straight swap and VCDS code.

I am also looking at replacing the head unit with a Sony unit that I have spare, as it has AUX in and USB. I have ordered a Bose capable fitting kit from incartech.co.uk, which I hope will allow me to swap out the head unit.

So this brings me to my question. I do not have easy access to VCDS, but can arrange it if required. Does anyone know if adding a MFSW requires coding, when installed with an aftermarket HU? Does the coding activate the stock head unit, or does it activate the steering wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

You will need to code the steering wheel controller to tell it you have the MFSW.

Chances of getting your Sony HU to work with the steering wheel are slim unless you can find a can bus to Sony converter for the steering wheel information on the can bus.

Also your Sony radio will not display the channels etc in the DIS.

Thanks for the reply s8craig. I dropped in the Sony HU in advance of the steering wheel, and noticed the lack of DIS. Also, the bose sub doesn't seem to properly activate, even though I got a decent wiring kit with the high-low adapter and can-bus unit.

I think I will stick with the stock HU, and get one of the CD Changer Aux/Bluetooth units to get the functionality rather than trying to get the aftermarket HU to play well with the rest of the stock stuff.

Cheers.