MFSW Upgrade!

Funkyfin2000

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Hi Guys,

Having just about to get Cruise sorted on the car, next upgrade would be MFSW.....and maybe RNS-E....

Quick question - I have an B6 Avant Sport with 3 spoke wheel and single airbag (not dual stage like B7's i believe)

Now....I've been told there was never a 3 spoke MFSW wheel for the B6 avant only 4 spoke...

Would that mean my only way to upgrade would be a 4 spoke MFSW which may look a bit pants..

I don't want to take any risk with a B7 wheel with dual stage airbag as have been told they won't ignite.

Any ideas?

Rich

The only MFSW offered on the B6 was a 4 spoke.

The whole issue of singe-stage vs. dual-stage airbags normally provokes some heated debate, but having worked on airbag testing for one of the major car manufactureres I would never consider fitting a dual-stage airbag to a car with a single-stage controller - and there have been cases posted on Audi forums of the driver airbag not going off (when the passenger one did) when this was done.

What's more important - the aesthetics of the car, or your health and safety?

Reactions: Funkyfin2000
As said above mate, mfsw is a no go really in a b6 unless you track down a hiddious looking 4 spoke wheel! You can fit a nice 3 spoke mfsw and make it work but there is no way of knowing if the airbag will deploy in a crash.... Unless you crash!
Sounds like you have, or going to have some nice toys anyway so forget mfsw and get rnse sorted!

OK Excellent, that is brilliant from both of you, confirms what I have been told....

Can I just ask....was the 4 spoke MFSW an option then for the A4 B6 Avant? IE if people wanted it then they would get a 4 spoke?

I wouldn't want to muck around with airbags at all...totally crazy....standard is really the only way for me!

Guessing it must have been an option mate, seems even basic things were an option from new. My mate has a Y-reg 1.9 tdi sport and he cant even fold down his rear seats, he's gutted ha! Didnt check when he got it because you assume that every car has folding seats!
Anyway get your rnse done and let us know how much it costs (from single din?!)

Its doable.. Without safety problems..
This is mine.. Bought it like this.,
Only upgrade Ive done, is fitting buttons with alu
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359234374300591

Probably.. But it works, and looks great...
Bought it like this, so dont know who fitted it

Not being funny but... How do you know it has no saftey problems? Looks good but guessing you're going to have an audi logo in your face if you crash!

Incompatable airbag systems between b6 and b7 models. I assume you have a b6 audi? With a b7 steering wheel? Think they have different ways of deploying the airbag in a crash situation.

Never heard of it.. Its either deployed or not...
And Im sure that if they couldnt work together, the selftest would say so...
Aren't B6 and B7 the same when it comes to interior??
Only front and rear that has been facelifted?!

Still You dont know if the sw airbag was ment to go off..
I know its head on to a tree.. But still..

As I said it was in mine when I bought the car.. Imported from Germany..

And finally.. Airbags dont safe lifes, seat belt does.. Not saying one should mess with in-car safety...

Last edited:
Yup, no trouble, not provoking an argument :) Just pointing out... anyway it does look excellent..

to go back to the thread point... did the B6 Avant come with a 4 spoke MFSW as an option then... anyone know :)

Yup, no trouble, not provoking an argument :) Just pointing out... anyway it does look excellent..

to go back to the thread point... did the B6 Avant come with a 4 spoke MFSW as an option then... anyone know :)

:) its ok.. Your making me slightly nervous.. But I'll place my trust in that it works..
Think the B7 also came with the B6 3 spoke SW

here's mine....

Wahlstrom - there are different crash sensors on the B7... two stages on th B7.... and there was a bloke who did a home DIY job on fitting one about 4 years ago where he just wired the two stages in parallel, so it couldn't generate a strong-enough signal to trigger the airbag. It's definitely possible to get it wrong if it's a bodge-job!

Ok.. Nice wheel.. Yours is a different airbag.. Is yours a one or a modded two stage??
Just hope that the one who did it knew what he was doing :)

Just this morning at the end of my shift, I was out to a car that had hit a tree, full frontal, due to ice in road.. With no airbag deployed.. It was an older Ford.. With a collision speed of aprox 50-70 km/t.. Severe front damage..
So airbag isn't suppose to deploy just because You hit directly...

Let's look at the 4 possible ways to connect the 2 igniters of a dual stage airbag to the single output of a single stage airbag control module:

1) first stage only
2) second stage only
3) both stages in series
4) both stages in parallel

Now let's look at the problems with those:
1) the first stage igniter won't produce enough gas to fully inflate the airbag, so when it does inflate it won't fully inflate so the risk of your face coming into contact with the top of the steering column (and messing up your good looks) is increased.
2) same issue, the second stage ignitier also won't produce enough gas to fully inflate the airbag with the same consequences.
3) the airbag control module won't produce enough voltage to igniter the igniters, so neither will ignite and the airbag won't deploy.
4) this is the most common method used when fitting a dual stage airbag to a single stage controller but there are two problems both caused by the resistance of the two igniters in parallel being lower; firstly, at certain temperatures the airbag controller thinks the resistance is too low and disables it (so the airbag won't go off when needed); and secondly the lower resistance means that there is a risk that neither igniter will fully ignite and hence insufficient gas will be generated to fully inflate the airbag with the same consequences as above.

So the probability is that either the airbags won't ignite when they should, or they will only partially ignite leading to increased injury. There is no scenario that guarantees full deployment of the dual stage airbag.

Still think it's a good idea???

Ok.. Cant say if it works or not.. Yes it might be "dangerous" without working airbag.. Still seat belt is the most important, and I wear it everytime..
Been driving a different car without airbag for several years..

At the end of that link it says:
AudiTLC said:
All of what I have written is opinion and conjecture. It is not fact and should not be taken as fact or accurate information. It's all theory and conjecture on how the Audi airbags work. This is simply theoretical discussion and in no way should be used in the real world. No one should take this information and use it for reference in any way.

All I can do is pass on the combination of 35+ years as an electronics engineer and the knowledge I gained while crash testing 200+ cars to develop the airbag system for a major motor manufacturer, whether anyone takes any notice of it is another matter.