MFSW - Help

Dazza0685

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi.. am trying to buy a MFSW for my 06 SB .. if i buy one with the same style airbag as mine would this mean i can fit it with no extra parts needed? I know it will need coding but i need to know if there are more parts needed.
Thanks

Honestly mate, that question has been answered so many times.

Just use the search button and you'll see what I mean.

I was in the same position as you, looking to add MFSW, after a quick read though I realised it's not exactly straight forward.

It is much appreciated by all when a person asking a question has at least attempted to find the answer themselves. As Wez says this has been answered dozens of times before ( at least 10 times by me ! ).

Basically you need to have the correct steering module which has the suffix 'F'. To find this out you need to VCDS scan the car. I have a 2006 SB and it did not have the correct module. In addition there are two types of airbag fittings for reasons best known only to Audi and you need to get the right mfsw for your airbag.

I have both types of wheel available but they will be of no use without the correct steering module. They are like 'rocking horse s**t' on ebay and cost about £150 - £180 from Audi.

That's 11 times !!! :yes:

It is much appreciated by all when a person asking a question has at least attempted to find the answer themselves. As Wez says this has been answered dozens of times before:yes:

Maybe there should be a MFSW sticky?

Maybe there should be a MFSW sticky?

Good idea but needs two things. One is a Moderator or Administrator to accept the idea and two is someone to write it !!!!!!

Bet someone would post a thread because their exact question hadn't been answered clearly enough !!!

Hi, thanks for the replies.. i did do a search but found a lot of the information confusing so i thought i would try and ask.. sorry guys.
Your help is much appreciated.

I have just managed to pick up a steering ecu with a part number [h=1]8P0 953 549F[/h]Is that the right one for MFSW?

I have just managed to pick up a steering ecu with a part number 8P0 953 549F

Is that the right one for MFSW?

yep :)

You may also need a MFSW capable slip ring

Last edited:
I have to say a big thanks to MIke Foster (among others) who helped me out in finding the appropriate wheel from the usual source.

My issue was wanting to reuse the airbag. The rest of the info was standard, module/slip ring etc, but knowing if the airbag would fit my new wheel was the main problem.

I haven' received my wheel yet but from taking my current airbag off, I have been able to determine exactly what I needed the new one to look like and am very confident it's going to work.

Interestingly, mine is a 2005 car, and yet the wheel/airbag combination is consistent with the design that many people tell me audi changed to in 2009.

In short, something wasn't quite right there!

Very strange.. i also would like to stay with my current airbag if possible.. Do you need any other cables or are the ones in place good enough?

There should be a retrofit sticky really. As said usual problems are steering ECU, slipring, cables for inside steering wheel. Make sure the airbag is for A3, the A4 wheel looks the same but is slightly different inside. I have a slipring for sale which I bought for mine then realized it wasn't needed.

You need the right wheel to fit your airbag and a new airbag wiring harness with the extra plug for the multi-function bit.

Can't remember the harness number but it is suffix 'Q'

Edit :- part number is 8P0 971 589 Q

Last edited:
Harness part number: 8P0 971 589 Q (dual stage airbag with mfsw control)

This is priceless info, thanks guys.. one more question tho. Where is the best place to get the cable i need? Audi ? or is there somewhere cheaper?

Thanks

Thats ok then not too much.. i have just had a look and i already have the correct slip ring. Is it likely the steering ecu could be the correct one if i have the right slip ring? I dont have VCDS yet so cannot find out.

Also i caused myself a bit of a problem.. while removing my airbag and wheel to see what systems i already had i knocked the top off the slip ring and the wires came out.. i put them back the only way i could see how.. when i turned the ignition back on after reassembling the esp light and steering light came on, i took it for a very short drive and they went off.
Could i have damaged it?
Also the airbag light is now on.. !
wish i hadnt bothered now.. lol

That's quite common really, had same thing happen to me and few others I know. Aslong as it goes off after a short drive it's fine. As for where to get the part either audi or TPS if you have access to an account with them

Also i caused myself a bit of a problem.. while removing my airbag and wheel to see what systems i already had i knocked the top off the slip ring and the wires came out.. i put them back the only way i could see how.. when i turned the ignition back on after reassembling the esp light and steering light came on, i took it for a very short drive and they went off.
Could i have damaged it?
Also the airbag light is now on.. !
wish i hadnt bothered now.. lol

Hi fella, yeah it is common for the ESP light and steering wheel light to come on. This always happens when you remove the wheel and airbag, and should always go off after driving a few meters. Nothing to worry about mate. As for your airbag light staying on, this is because most likely you disconnected the airbag and probably started your engine, therefor reading as a fault! Easily cleared with vcds. But in future mate, it is heavily advised that BEFORE you disconnect the airbag, that you make sure to disconnect the car battery, as failure to do this, could and has happened before, cause your airbag to go off, causing you injury and a good part of your well earned cash to buy a new airbag.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice but i did disconnect the battery before taking the airbag off as im fairly used to working on cars.
Thats why i found it weird that the airbag light is now on hence the battery being disconnected the whole time the airbag was removed. Makes me worry that i may have caused an issue..

Ok sorry Dazza. Uummm strange, did by any chance when you put the steering wheel back on, did you connect the battery back and turn on the ignition before you reconnected the airbag back? I'm sure you did fella. Other than this not quite sure what could happened, maybe something to do with Shen you knocked the slip ring. Best bet is to try and get someone to connect to there vcds. Try to clear fault, and if it doesn't then you may well have a problem.

If your anywhere near London, I'll be more than happy to check for you mate.

No unfortunately the battery was disconnected until i put everything back together thats why im concerned, Hopefully it will be getting read tomorrow so that should shed some light.
Thanks

Keep us posted mate, it will be interesting to find out what it is.

I have taken my airbag out probably atleast 8 or 9 times now, not once with the battery disconnected and the warning light has only happened once of of all of these times, it's really nothing to worry about. On vagcom it comes up as one of the sensors not reading (steering column allignment iirc)