Merc A45s...

The RS4 should have left the factory at 500+ hp imho, crazy that they left it so close to the RS3 power wise. At 500+ the A45 would have been dusted.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Yeah but if they did that, where would they pitch the RS6 & Rs7 not to mention the R8.

Yeah but if they did that, where would they pitch the RS6 & Rs7 not to mention the R8.
Tricky I agree. Have you seen that vid showing RS4 quicker than current RS7 as it is?!

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I just wish they did an RS4 saloon as estate cars are not for me.
Yeah I'm not keen on estate cars either even if they have stupid power.
The RS4 saloon was by all accounts a fantastic car, and I remember an episode of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson was driving it up and down a mountain road and I think he said it was one of the very best cars he had driven. :)

tbh, all down to the reaction time, as when the RS7 driver nailed the launch (3rd attempt! @ 4:15), it beat the RS4 pretty easily...whether worth the extra £3ok is another thing ;-)

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Bristle Hound, 8YARWY and 2 others
tbh, all down to the reaction time, as when the RS7 driver nailed the launch (3rd attempt! @ 4:15), it beat the RS4 pretty easily...whether worth the extra £3ok is another thing ;-)
True although there was a time when the 3 or the 4 wouldn't get a look in vs a RS6 or 7. Not much in it anymore between them all imho.

When the new RS3 arrives it will surely be faster than the RS4 as almost the same power yet 300kg lighter!

TX.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
True although there was a time when the 3 or the 4 wouldn't get a look in vs a RS6 or 7. Not much in it anymore between them all imho.

When the new RS3 arrives it will surely be faster than the RS4 as almost the same power yet 300kg lighter!

TX.

agree, probably too close to justify £30k, but then some will always want that, because it is faster on a deserted runway.

Surely RS3 will give the A45s a real test, never mind from it's own stable

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Snake Pliskin and Jcbmally
agree, probably too close to justify £30k, but then some will always want that, because it is faster on a deserted runway.

Surely RS3 will give the A45s a real test, never mind from it's own stable

You'd imagine that the new RS3 will at least match the A45s or beat it by a tenth of a second :)
It should do anyway if it has the rumoured 440 bhp vs the 421 of the AMG.
Then Merc will no doubt respond by making the 45s face lift quicker again.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Bristle Hound, Jcbmally and 1 other person
was in my Dealer yesterday and they had this for sale good to go if anybody is interested ? :)

IMG 8321

IMG 8322

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Ron240 and 2 others
I've gotta say I really like the AMG GTr but I would have the hard top - it is just so mean & aggressive and has immense presence.

d9a30185e3e05a82636d2a249f381eaf.jpg

The Porsche does of course look great and granted it is way more restrained.

The AMG is a bold statement car.

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn and NevMan
1920x1440 2
I've gotta say I really like the AMG GTr but I would have the hard top - it is just so mean & aggressive and has immense presence.

The Porsche does of course look great and granted it is way more restrained.

The AMG is a bold statement car.

Not my sort of car at all. Far too bling. As for the 'Crayon' colour, popular with Porsche too I really do not like it. Reminds me of 'hearing aid beige' Austin Allegro colour or the old 1960's Ford Pubic Grey.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I'd have to go silver with AMG GTr - I love the look of the F1 safety car

da3ec5f1d593dce7faa39cf0853b329b.jpg

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Ron240 and 2 others
@Snake Pliskin how are you finding life with the A45S? I think you've had it a while now, and just interested to see if you have any regrets? Looks and performance are impressive, but the engine noise would be a problem for me. The wife loves them, and can see her looking at them later next year.

Reactions: pburv, Snake Pliskin and NevMan
I'd have to go silver with AMG GTr - I love the look of the F1 safety car

da3ec5f1d593dce7faa39cf0853b329b.jpg

+1 on that Snake. Plus don’t have the stigma attached to being a Porker owner

Reactions: pburv and Snake Pliskin
@Snake Pliskin how are you finding life with the A45S? I think you've had it a while now, and just interested to see if you have any regrets? Looks and performance are impressive, but the engine noise would be a problem for me. The wife loves them, and can see her looking at them later next year.

Yes I have had the car around 8 months now so a good length of time to get familiar with it.
On the whole I really am chuffed with it.
It ticks the main boxes that the RS3 did for me namely ... feels special, I still look at it and think "that looks ****ing good and its stupidly quick.
I absolutely adore the interior - coming from a pre-facelift 8v with analogue dials - it was like stepping into a car with alien technology lol
I know some people dislike the "ipad dash" but in the A Class it really works and just looks super cool.
I'm also into my TV's and the high res display from the screens is awesome as is the customisation.
I took it into the Dealer yesterday and there was an update which has tweaked some of the dash layout - and it is pretty cool.
Its such a really nice place to sit and the quality and materials are very premium.
The seats are mega supportive & look incredible but they are also very comfortable.
Then there is the handling - I just have the regular suspension and don't get me wrong it is firm, but supple at the same time.
Yes you have to go slow over speed bumps and the like, but I had to even with my RS3 with mag ride.
But the handling in general is superb, it will corner at very high speeds - maybe that's why one of the custom screens is for a g metre lol :)
The one and only down side is the noise I lost from the 2.5 litre 5 cylinder RS3 engine and I would say the Audi gearbox possibly had the edge.
It does sound decent for a 2 litre, but the Audi sounded amazing and that I do miss.
The Audi gearbox was always pin sharp and the Merc is fine when you are hammering through the gears, but it can stutter occasionally when coming slowing down for a junction, if you then want to make a sharp exit.
But that tends to me mostly when you are just pottering around town in comfort.
Pop the mode into Sport or Sport+ (or even Race lol) and then this eliminates the issue, but of course holds the revs higher.
So I tend to switch the dial into Sport if I think i might want to exit sharply and job sorted.
The Audi just had drive and Sport so a flick back of the gear stick sorted it, rather than 5 modes with the Merc, which is a tad overkill :)
So I am very happy with the car, it was a great choice from the RS3 and certainly feels every bit as special.

Reactions: pburv, Bristle Hound, Audi Bairn and 4 others
Nice review, are M-B paying you? seriously did your RS3 not have drive select? There are several choices to change the engine, steering, exhaust etc plus of course the D (Day) and S (sunny) modes.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Nice review, are M-B paying you? seriously did your RS3 not have drive select? There are several choices to change the engine, steering, exhaust etc plus of course the D (Day) and S (sunny) modes.

Yeah I had it set to individual modes but I was referring specifically to the gearbox.
In the Audi I always drove around in D and only dropped it into Sport for overtaking, then straight back into D.
With the Merc there are 5 modes - comfort / sport / sport + / race / snow & ice ... its a tad overkill :)

& no they are not paying me lol, that is an honest unbiassed view and how I genuinely feel about the car :icon thumright:

Reactions: pburv and NevMan
Yeah I had it set to individual modes but I was referring specifically to the gearbox.
In the Audi I always drove around in D and only dropped it into Sport for overtaking, then straight back into D.
With the Merc there are 5 modes - comfort / sport / sport + / race / snow & ice ... its a tad overkill :)

& no they are not paying me lol, that is an honest unbiassed view and how I genuinely feel about the car :icon thumright:

Looks pretty balanced to me, but Audi fan boys are not swayed

Reactions: pburv, A4B9 and Snake Pliskin
Yes I have had the car around 8 months now so a good length of time to get familiar with it.
On the whole I really am chuffed with it.
It ticks the main boxes that the RS3 did for me namely ... feels special, I still look at it and think "that looks ****ing good and its stupidly quick.
I absolutely adore the interior - coming from a pre-facelift 8v with analogue dials - it was like stepping into a car with alien technology lol
I know some people dislike the "ipad dash" but in the A Class it really works and just looks super cool.
I'm also into my TV's and the high res display from the screens is awesome as is the customisation.
I took it into the Dealer yesterday and there was an update which has tweaked some of the dash layout - and it is pretty cool.
Its such a really nice place to sit and the quality and materials are very premium.
The seats are mega supportive & look incredible but they are also very comfortable.
Then there is the handling - I just have the regular suspension and don't get me wrong it is firm, but supple at the same time.
Yes you have to go slow over speed bumps and the like, but I had to even with my RS3 with mag ride.
But the handling in general is superb, it will corner at very high speeds - maybe that's why one of the custom screens is for a g metre lol :)
The one and only down side is the noise I lost from the 2.5 litre 5 cylinder RS3 engine and I would say the Audi gearbox possibly had the edge.
It does sound decent for a 2 litre, but the Audi sounded amazing and that I do miss.
The Audi gearbox was always pin sharp and the Merc is fine when you are hammering through the gears, but it can stutter occasionally when coming slowing down for a junction, if you then want to make a sharp exit.
But that tends to me mostly when you are just pottering around town in comfort.
Pop the mode into Sport or Sport+ (or even Race lol) and then this eliminates the issue, but of course holds the revs higher.
So I tend to switch the dial into Sport if I think i might want to exit sharply and job sorted.
The Audi just had drive and Sport so a flick back of the gear stick sorted it, rather than 5 modes with the Merc, which is a tad overkill :)
So I am very happy with the car, it was a great choice from the RS3 and certainly feels every bit as special.
Cheers @Snake Pliskin for the detailed feedback. Interesting note on the gearbox....I would of thought that the gearbox would of been a leap on from the PFL RS3 just because of the build time between the two cars. Hope you enjoy a few more years in it :icon thumright:

Reactions: pburv, NevMan and Snake Pliskin
Had my car a year already now :blink:

Also ....

Had my first new road tax prompt through at £475 notes ... ouch :whip:
It just stings after paying £270 for my RS3.
Insurance and service also due so not a good week financially :flushed:

Car still giving me plenty of smiles though :icon thumright:

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, BarryG79 and 6 others
It's amazing how quickly the time passes....one minute you have a nice new car then the next it's the following year and it is effectively 2 registrations out of date!
Mine will be 8 months on Friday.
My insurance, tax and service are all in the same month as well so will be expensive, but quite a bit less than what you have to shell out.
You do have the added very nice bonus of an additional 200bhp though. :sunglasses:

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Jcbmally and 3 others

Also ....

Wow, time does fly, but then last year been a write off for many. Good to hear you are still enjoying the A45s snake . It is a beast

And here we are still waiting for sight of the 8Y RS3

Reactions: pburv, Terminator x, Audi Bairn and 5 others

Also ....

You clearly need some negotiating skills training. Services are always part of the deal on a new car, in fact x2 free on a used one! How much does it cost on an M-B? It’s bound to be expensive polishing up all that bling ;-)

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06

Also ....

**** it's flew in mate....Luxury car tax....aye tell me about it been paying for the last 4 years got another 4 years coming think the first year on the TT is around £1375 bangers

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Ron240 and 3 others
You clearly need some negotiating skills training. Services are always part of the deal on a new car, in fact x2 free on a used one! How much does it cost on an M-B? It’s bound to be expensive polishing up all that bling ;-)

Ha ha ... the service is £380 notes !
A lot dearer than I paid for my RS3 service.

I prefer to get max money off the car ... cash in my hand :icon thumright:

£180 for the main service & £200 notes to take care of the bling :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Jcbmally and 2 others
**** it's flew in mate....Luxury car tax....aye tell me about it been paying for the last 4 years got another 4 years coming think the first year on the TT is around £1375 bangers

It’s madness isn’t it ... at least with the 1st year it’s buried within the purchase price so doesn’t feel as painful, but £40k threshold is way too low imo. The TTS will be worth it, I have no doubt whatsoever. Having had a mark 2 TTS and knowing how good the mark 3 regular TT is, it will be epic !!

Wow, time does fly, but then last year been a write off for many. Good to hear you are still enjoying the A45s snake . It is a beast

And here we are still waiting for sight of the 8Y RS3

Lol just seen your banner ....
Happy birthday mate :partypooper::birthdaycake::balloon::icon thumright:

yes the RS3 is taking an age

It’s madness isn’t it ... at least with the 1st year it’s buried within the purchase price so does

n’t feel as painful, but £40k threshold is way too low imo. The TTS will be worth it, I have no doubt whatsoever. Having had a mark 2 TTS and knowing how good the mark 3 regular TT is, it will be epic !!

Yer A45s l get it because of the power and da bling....but dont you dare go anywhere near that soon to be pile of dung thee 8Y RS3....Keep yer Liberace Merc....lol

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally, NevMan and 1 other person
It's amazing how quickly the time passes....one minute you have a nice new car then the next it's the following year and it is effectively 2 registrations out of date!
Mine will be 8 months on Friday.
My insurance, tax and service are all in the same month as well so will be expensive, but quite a bit less than what you have to shell out.
You do have the added very nice bonus of an additional 200bhp though. :sunglasses:

Yes but you have the stupendously good looking CLA though & luxury pack ... not very often I can make full use of those extra horses lol

Reactions: pburv, Ron240 and Jcbmally
Yer A45s l get it because of the power and da bling....but dont you dare go anywhere near that soon to be pile of dung thee 8Y RS3....Keep yer Liberace Merc....lol

I’ll try mate but that 5 cylinder is calling me ... I will have a look at a TTRS at some point & just see how out interest the RS3 turns out but the TT is probably the last of the real quality Audis at this price bracket. The sline we had felt rock solid build quality & cabin fit & finish was exemplary.

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Jcbmally and 2 others
I’ll try mate but that 5 cylinder is calling me ... I will have a look at a TTRS at some point & just see how out interest the RS3 turns out but the TT is probably the last of the real quality Audis at this price bracket. The sline we had felt rock solid build quality & cabin fit & finish was exemplary.

Remember l have driven the TTRS and both the pfl and fl rs3 and that TTRS roadster which is even heavier than the coupe was way faster than both the RS3's.....that fast l was sh=ting myself in the passenger seat when Jordan took the wheel of it......TTRS Vorsprung......next for yerself l would'nt touch a 8Y with a barge pole.......

Reactions: pburv, Snake Pliskin and Jcbmally