1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merc A45s...

FBF01 Jul 4, 2019

1. FBF01

FBF01 Well-Known Member

Finally some details. 50k and 421bhp from a 2 litre. Not for me! Looks like only the S will be available here in the UK also. Interesting to see how this performs once the reviews are out.

Snake Pliskin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. rdj

rdj Member

Hmmm, just as I expected £50k - without options I assume?

4. Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze Active Member

50k for a 2 litre :wtf:

FBF01 likes this.
  5. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member Supporter Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

I have to admit to liking it.

It looks really sharp inside & out.

Not sure it could tempt me away from an RS3 .. but I do like it, although it ain’t cheap

jimojameso and TYb like this.
  6. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team Panther Audi RS3 TTRS

Looks OK’ish. Performance will be decent. Interior is nice enough and I do think Mercedes have really nailed the seats in their cars. But...

It sounds terrible.

7. TYb

TYb Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group Team Navarra Audi S3

Really like the 45 styling on the A and CLA, a lot of dosh though.

Snake Pliskin likes this.
  8. Sug

Sug Active Member

Love the front end

9. simonali

simonali Well-Known Member Audi RSQ3 5 Cylinder

Who apart from GW1 buys cars outright these days? All about the monthlies innit.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  10. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member Supporter Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

It looks like it sits very low doesn’t it.
    Quite mean looking.

X3man likes this.
  11. GW1

GW1 Active Member

I do, in fact all my cars are cash purchases.

X3man, Jonny B and simonali like this.
  12. Avatar

13. simonali

FMP! :D

14. keenu

keenu Active Member Team Navarra Audi S3 saloon S tronic

Would definitely consider this for my next car especially if the make the saloon version. Wonder how Audi will respond to this.

15. GW1

GW1 Active Member

I personally don’t think Audi have a lot to worry about. In my humble opinion the Audi is a far superior product and has that magical five cylinder engine that sounds absolutely fantastic, unlike that Merc four pot that I think sounds, just average. I know the Merc has the “PlayStation” look iPad panels but after seeing my brothers AmG A35 and the problems he has had with the trick display panels, no thank you.

X3man and FBF01 like this.
  16. keenu

Yes you can't beat the 5 cylinder, however there are rumours they move move to a 4 pot for the RS3. If so, then they are going to have to come up with something special. The new A45 is a completely different beast. New improved engine, better gearbox, better 4wd, better suspension and i am sure the handling will be great, much better then the Audi would be. For me that's the most important thing about the car, now it drives and handles.

17. GW1

GW1 Active Member

I think you maybe right but I think they may even go for a hybrid, 4 pot plus electric motor, gawd help us.

18. X3man

X3man Well known member Gold Supporter X3 M40i Carbon Black

Maybe on the RS3 front assuming they keep the 2.5 and meet emissions. It is the rest of the range of “S’s” they need to worry about going diesel

19. GW1

GW1 Active Member

Audi have just managed to get the 2.5 through the emissions test by adding the GPF/OPF filter. It would sink the RS3 without that 5 cylinder, I just love the sound it omits on full throttle. Why in all that is sacred would anyone one put a diesel in an RS3 or any RS model is beyond me. I know Audi built a diesel TT there is something not right about it.

keenu likes this.
  20. simonali

I've said this before but there are vids of disguised 5 cylinder Q3s going around the Nordschleife. If the next RS Q3 is getting a 2.5 I can't see any reason why the RS3 won't, too.

You can just about hear it over the tyre squeal!

21. GW1

GW1 Active Member

I have just seen on YouTube the latest offering from BMW, the new M135 Xdrive with a four cylinder engine, why ditch that fabulous six cylinder is beyond me, and the sound is very asthmatic.

X3man likes this.
  22. simonali

Sounds OK, but that lower grille and big upper one makes it look like a grinning clown!

23. X3man

I agree, but think they are trying to add some more separation. In models. Having brought out the M Performance Range which sits above M Sport but below proper M. May bring out a M40i 1 series at some point with straight six

24. keenu

That would be the same 400 PS engine with the OPF filter as the current RS3. We are talking about the next gen RS3 which is about 3 years away with a whole new engine.

25. GW1

GW1 Active Member

Keenu I have a new RS3 with the GPF/OPF and I must say that the exhaust tips are spotless, inside and out, even after 500 miles. My S3 after much cleaning of the exhaust tips after 100 miles were absolutely filthy

26. simonali

3 years? No way. The new Q3 came out tail end of last year and the RS version is imminent, otherwise they'd not be testing it already. We'll be seeing vids like this of the new RS3 within a year.

27. simonali

The 2 series coupe could spawn an M240i but the 1 series probably won't. They used the same architecture last time but are being separated this time around so the highly popular M2 can still be produced. The M2 will sit on a shortened 3/4 series chassis and not the new transverse engined FWD one the 1 series now uses and into which a longitudinal straight 6 won't fit.

What they may introduce is a 2 series Gran Coupe and that could potentially have the 3.0 litre motor depending on whether they use the 2 series chassis or the 1 series one.

X3man likes this.
  28. keenu

The new A3 is probably going be released next year and then the S3 after that. So perhaps the RS3 will be here around 2021. Could be sooner but all depends on when he new A3 is released.

29. X3man

Probably right. 1 series shares a lot of the Mini engines and platform

30. GW1

GW1 Active Member

A friend of mine who lives in Canada, told me that Audi were conducting cold weather testing on the A3 and the rumours were they had a 1 litre 3 pot turbo hybrid and a 1.5 litre 3 pot high pressure turbo hybrid.

31. Ron240

Ron240 Breaking the stereotype Team Ara Blue Gold Supporter S3 Saloon Black Edition

Well this started off as a Mercedes A45s thread, then quickly turned into an Audi/BMW one. :D
    Engine size has no direct connection with power and price anymore.
    I think the CLA version of the 45/35 is much nicer looking and definitely the one I would choose.

P.S. I am also a cash buyer having bought my last 5 cars this way.....but there's no way I could stretch to an A45 model. :innocent:

Jonny B likes this.
  32. AndrewW

AndrewW Member

Considering I think the previous A Class looked much better than the current (looks like a Hyundai to me...) they’ve really turned it around for the 45. Looks great!

33. Avatar

34. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member Team Nardo Audi RS3

Same here . I’m considering the CLA on looks alone . Never owned a merc before . Looks far more up to date than any alternative in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron240 likes this.
  35. Ron240

Ron240 Breaking the stereotype Team Ara Blue Gold Supporter S3 Saloon Black Edition

It is a beautiful looking car and a big improvement over the previous model. It has really caught my eye. :sunglasses:
    I've also never owned a Merc.....but my heart says I need a new CLA. :D