Memory seats retrofit

michelhaudia38v

Reaction score
Hello,

One thing I am really missing in my car 2015 etron is the memory part of the electric adjustable seats. My wife is about 10 inch shorter than me , so you can imagine my routine before I can even get in the car.
That made me think: why isn’t this in such a premium brand, there are plenty examples of it in less “high class” brands and secondly wouldn’t it be possible to somehow retrofit this by using donorparts from another mqb car ? Maybe Passat or Skoda? They have the buttons in the seat? Once memorized with the keys you could even live without the buttons.

Here’s a link of a guy who was quite far using european parts in his American golf, but didn’t present the result:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...-seats-into-the-MK7-R#/topics/7688465?page=10

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

It's an expensive retrofit as the memory controller is part of the base of the seat (at least in the A5 range this is the case). Most A5 coupes have this part which makes it easier to retrofit but don't believe that's the case for the A3 range.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

I think there are better chances for the retrofit to work if it uses parts from another car in the MQB platform, as Can bus control messages in other platforms may be very different. Also, along with memory seats, a complete memory system usually requires memory mirrors, which can be a problem because in the A3/S3 8V only the passenger side mirror has such feature. Including memory in the driver side mirror would require replacing the mirror glass motor and connector and adding 4 wires to the mirror loom. Door control modules seem to support memory mirrors, but there may be parameterisation issues.

Hmm, didn't think about the mirrors . However I never heard anybody about paying attention at memory functions when swapping their mirrors for retractable ones. And there are cases of memory function with and without electrical steering column , so might just also function without the mirrors.

Yesterday just experimented a bit with the 5F module and turned the seat menu on. It displayed but obviously greyed out. ("stoelen" means "seats")
Stoel mmi lowres
Stoel mmi lowres
Stoel mmi lowres

Reactions: Rcord
I’m almost there !! Got it working with parts from a Superb Skoda. Temporarily with the buttons on the seat, working memory with the preset numbers and the key also works. When opening the door the seats moves to the desired positions.
Later gonna try the q5 switch via the doormodule.
For now I’m desperately seeking canbus comfort location. For testing its connected in the door

Reactions: Rcord
Beautiful!!!
Very nice 'retrofit'.
Does it work as expected? Do mirrors, etc also move to the correct positions? Coupled to specific keys?
Do you have keyless entry?

Works as expected, preset numbers work , storing memory results in a short typical beep, same with connecting it to a key. I have kessy also no problem, once you open the door , either keyless or remote fob it immediately goes to the preset position, including right mirror. This is because of the mirror-dip in reverse (Lhd) it’s already equipped with a memory motor, left side is optional , should be possible by replacing the motor.

Next phase is trying to get q5 memory buttons in the doormodule to make it more Audi -ish

Not working: easy entry, tried a lot of coding but still no actions And still my “seats” menu on the MiB stays grayed out. (Unavailable ) not really important but still.

@DJAlix Nice to hear even the master of retrofit is a little impressed for the past days I learned that there is a lot exchangeable between the seats of the Vag-concern .

Anybody can point me in the right direction for comfort canbus ??

Anybody can point me in the right direction for comfort canbus ??

Good job! That's something I'd love to fit in my A3 but I'm afraid it would have too many limitations since I don't have kessy.

Convenience canbus is connected to pins 5 and 15 on the Gateway module (J533), wires are orang/brown (LOW) and orange/green (HIGH). Is that the info you're looking for?

Mirror memory motors can be bought separately instead of replacing the whole mirror but you would also have to add 4 wires to the mirror harness, which can be a lot of work. The wires are sealed in a plastic tube that may not fit additional 4 wires, especially if your mirrors are power folding, auto-dimming and have side assist indicators.

Yes that’s the one J533 colors are exactly right, but where’s that &@$% thing? Location pic?

Besides no kessy is no problem, just buy a cheap used ugly memory seat , which in fact is 95% of the total costs !

Passat / superb / octavia even tiguan I would guess , buy one put it together with your seat upside-down on a table and start comparing for half hour. If you don’t trust it bring it back (that was my backup plan in case didn’t work out)
If it looks good, start early in the morning

Mirror on the left is not that important to me , the difference in the setting between me and my wife is not that much. And luckily the right one works fine. Already read some stories about how difficult it would be working the extra wires through the mirror in the door. Also the costs of the motor are bit much considering the minor improvement imho

Yes that’s the one J533 colors are exactly right, but where’s that &@$% thing? Location pic?

Gateway can be reached from the left side footwell. Really hard to reach in my opinion. Removing the lower dash trim and knee airbag will help. If you find it too difficult, you can connect to the canbus wires that go to the left door harness, at the A pillar bottom, or at the air conditioning control panel for example.

Tried it in under the a-pillar , behind the opening handle for the bonnet. Although there were really a lot of wires , and a lot of canbus ones , no comfort can. Even finding where the door enters the car, useless.
Might go for the climate one , but never got that one out of the dash.

Still learning...

Tried it in under the a-pillar , behind the opening handle for the bonnet. Although there were really a lot of wires , and a lot of canbus ones , no comfort can. Even finding where the door enters the car, useless.
Might go for the climate one , but never got that one out of the dash.

Still learning...

Hello michelhaudia38v can you contact me because i have some questions regarding memory seats :)

Put your questions here please , i am not yet allowed to post pm's. It also might be usefull for others

Hi, OK then :)
I would also like to add memory feature to my audi a3. Can you give me some advice or which seats did you buy? Did you replace the whole seat or just the sheating? any other tips that might be helpful?

Hi, OK then :)
I would also like to add memory feature to my audi a3. Can you give me some advice or which seats did you buy? Did you replace the whole seat or just the sheating? any other tips that might be helpful?
the idea is quite easy, but its definitely a time consuming job, at least for me it was, but in my case very worth it. My wife is a lot shorter and we frequently change cars, its very usefull.

First, i already had an electric alcantare/leather seats, but I'm pretty sure it can also be done with manual seats. I studied on the internet a lot and learned that the seats within VAG concern are 95% modulair , so parts are interchangeable. At least within mqb: Golf Passat Octavia Superb. I took a gamble and bought a second hand kinda ugly seat from a skoda superb with memory. Then after some conclusions, i took both seats completely apart. So original one out of the car. I have a big garage and placed all parts nicely ordered on the ground . And i have all the tools, including the larger torx. I replaced all the motors and wiring from the original one with the skoda wiring / motors. And i used the plastic side/skirt(where the adjustment knobs and memory buttons are placed) from the skoda and fitted on the audi seat. This is not a 100% fit but i can live with it. Placed it in the car and had to re-pin powersupply and connect canbus. That's it
One tip:
Don't think : i already have electric seats, so only need a bit wiring and some memory knobs. There are motors with two wires without sensors, and motors with four wires with sensors. but both are applicable for memory seats! But only with the right module, buttons and wiring! That s why i bought a second hand memory seat, so i had in one stroke all the parts.

the idea is quite easy, but its definitely a time consuming job, at least for me it was, but in my case very worth it. My wife is a lot shorter and we frequently change cars, its very usefull.

First, i already had an electric alcantare/leather seats, but I'm pretty sure it can also be done with manual seats. I studied on the internet a lot and learned that the seats within VAG concern are 95% modulair , so parts are interchangeable. At least within mqb: Golf Passat Octavia Superb. I took a gamble and bought a second hand kinda ugly seat from a skoda superb with memory. Then after some conclusions, i took both seats completely apart. So original one out of the car. I have a big garage and placed all parts nicely ordered on the ground . And i have all the tools, including the larger torx. I replaced all the motors and wiring from the original one with the skoda wiring / motors. And i used the plastic side/skirt(where the adjustment knobs and memory buttons are placed) from the skoda and fitted on the audi seat. This is not a 100% fit but i can live with it. Placed it in the car and had to re-pin powersupply and connect canbus. That's it
One tip:
Don't think : i already have electric seats, so only need a bit wiring and some memory knobs. There are motors with two wires without sensors, and motors with four wires with sensors. but both are applicable for memory seats! But only with the right module, buttons and wiring! That s why i bought a second hand memory seat, so i had in one stroke all the parts.
Great! thanks a lot for your post.
So you say that all the motors from superb are plug & play to audi seat? If so, I will definitely go with changing only the motors like you.
Can you also write what wiring job under the seat you did do to get it to work and coding you performed to have it worked with both key and the buttons on the seat? I would appreciate that a lot :).

best regards!

Hi guys,

I did all the wire work and the seat from skoda superb is now in A3 8V. It wasn't that easy though however doable. :)
I can move the seat to the front and to the back, up and down. I can also recall seat position from the memory but I cannot SET A NEW SEAT POSITION UNDER ANY BUTTON. Can is connected but don't know if I connected that to the right CAN.
Can I do anything about the outside mirror to get them to work with the seat? Do I need any coding?

Can someone help me with that?

best regards!!

Hi guys,

I did all the wire work and the seat from skoda superb is now in A3 8V. It wasn't that easy though however doable. :)
I can move the seat to the front and to the back, up and down. I can also recall seat position from the memory but I cannot SET A NEW SEAT POSITION UNDER ANY BUTTON. Can is connected but don't know if I connected that to the right CAN.
Can I do anything about the outside mirror to get them to work with the seat? Do I need any coding?

Can someone help me with that?

best regards!!
What can did you put it on? Needs to be on comfort-can, I spliced /connected behind the climate panel. Think it should also be possible in the door wiring .
Do you have a coding tool? Check if the driver seat module is active .

Of course you checked YouTube video's "How to program seat memory" and I just checked in my car, main thing : ignition must be on. So I'm thinking your can-wiring is wrong, that makes sense that the passenger-mirror isn't following the memory settings.

note: for outside mirrors to work with memory function, the mirror needs to have a "memory-motor". If you have a "dip-mirror-in-reverse-gear" then it's equipped with such motor. In my case did not need any coding worked out of the box, but just passenger side. You could replace these motors I'm sure, but for me it was to much effort for so little advantage.

What can did you put it on? Needs to be on comfort-can, I spliced /connected behind the climate panel. Think it should also be possible in the door wiring .
Do you have a coding tool? Check if the driver seat module is active.
From what I found I connected to CAN INFOTAINMENT coz I couldn't find CAN COMFORT. It was 10 and 20 PIN in the GW. Do you think that's a problem if I had in connected to the GW directly?
Do you remember by any chance the CAN colors which you used? I connected them to PURPLE/ORANGE CAN cable.

Of course you checked YouTube video's "How to program seat memory" and I just checked in my car, main thing : ignition must be on. So I'm thinking your can-wiring is wrong, that makes sense that the passenger-mirror isn't following the memory settings.
Yes, I checked all "how tos" and it's easy - hold SET and press button you want to program.
note: for outside mirrors to work with memory function, the mirror needs to have a "memory-motor". If you have a "dip-mirror-in-reverse-gear" then it's equipped with such motor. In my case did not need any coding worked out of the box, but just passenger side. You could replace these motors I'm sure, but for me it was to much effort for so little advantage.
I'm gonna check that today. I'm not sure, but this one is easy :)
I wish

From what I found I connected to CAN INFOTAINMENT coz I couldn't find CAN COMFORT. It was 10 and 20 PIN in the GW. Do you think that's a problem if I had in connected to the GW directly?
Do you remember by any chance the CAN colors which you used? I connected them to PURPLE/ORANGE CAN cable.

Yes, I checked all "how tos"
and it's easy - hold SET and press button you want to program.

I'm gonna check that today. I'm not sure, but this one is easy :)
I wish
its got to be on convenience(comfort) can think it was green

This link has some pics:

I remember I was struggeling to find a good spot, ended up removing climate control panel and connected behind there

I'm at work right now, but will check Elsa for you tonight, might find PIN numbers

Don't you have some vcds device?

This link has some pics:

I remember I was struggeling to find a good spot, ended up removing climate control panel and connected behind there

I'm at work right now, but will check Elsa for you tonight, might find PIN numbers

Yes, I have diagnostic device.
I'll be working on it soon and let you know if I have any news. Hope good ones :)

I have tilted passanger's mirror. What car have you used the mirror from? Or was it just a motor for adjusting the mirror?

Best regards.

Yes, I have diagnostic device.
I'll be working on it soon and let you know if I have any news. Hope good ones :)

I have tilted passanger's mirror. What car have you used the mirror from? Or was it just a motor for adjusting the mirror?

Best regards.
The dip-when-in-reverse uses a memory function, it think it must be controlled by the doormodule . My car came originally from factory with this option, so after installing memory seat, and wiring up the (correct:happy:)can-connection, the mirror and the seat worked together. No coding was done.

I think, but that's also a small guess, that if your replace the motor on the drivers side with one from the more expensive cars, it also behaves like a memory-mirror. (might even dip in reverse, have this on my Land Cruiser, both side ) The problem is not only getting a good deal for the part but also the physical side of the wiring , it's nearly impossible to get a few more wires through the mirror!

OK I double checked everything and still not working.... :(
I can move the motors but no connection with control module...
In CAN GW (19) I receive such message:
Friday,25,March,2022,17:51:31:16365
VCDS Version: Release 21.9.0 Running on Windows 7 x86
www.Ross-Tech.com

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: Redir Fail!
Control Module Part Number: 5QE 907 530 E HW: 5QE 907 530 A
Component and/or Version: GW MQB EV 312 3244
Software Coding: 0201001726F200005B00120C580000000001010100010000000000000000
Work Shop Code: WSC 06314 790 00021
ASAM Dataset: EV_GatewEVConti 013020 (AU37)
ROD: EV_GatewEVConti_013.rod
VCID: 48C9583D5230059B2F1-801C
1 Fault Found

131660 - Seat/Mirror Postion Control Module - Driver
U0208 00 [009] - No Communications
[Timeout Knoten 0x4C / 36 - Steuergerät für Sitz-/Spiegelpos. Fahrerseite]
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

The module 36 is unreachable...
Any tips?

Terminal 30 power supply: 13.2 V
Terminal 15: On

The dip-when-in-reverse uses a memory function, it think it must be controlled by the doormodule . My car came originally from factory with this option, so after installing memory seat, and wiring up the (correct:happy:)can-connection, the mirror and the seat worked together. No coding was done.

I think, but that's also a small guess, that if your replace the motor on the drivers side with one from the more expensive cars, it also behaves like a memory-mirror. (might even dip in reverse, have this on my Land Cruiser, both side ) The problem is not only getting a good deal for the part but also the physical side of the wiring , it's nearly impossible to get a few more wires through the mirror!
BTW your seats are from superb II or superb 3?

Don't remember, it was build 2016 i believen. What canbus are you on? Did you rewire to convenience?

Don't remember, it was build 2016 i believen. What canbus are you on? Did you rewire to convenience?

Hi!.

So my motors are from Superb 2 and I rewired CAN so it's connected to CONVENINCE now. However it still doesn't work - seat module is unreachable. I believe it's because it is Superb 2 not 3 and it is different platform. The motors work like they should but it doeasn't memorize the positions. I already received another module and tomorrow will put it in. I also different motor for the mirror and hopefully it will work also.

Can you check the number of your seat module?

Tomorrow gonna be a big day :)

Hi!.

So my motors are from Superb 2 and I rewired CAN so it's connected to CONVENINCE now. However it still doesn't work - seat module is unreachable. I believe it's because it is Superb 2 not 3 and it is different platform. The motors work like they should but it doeasn't memorize the positions. I already received another module and tomorrow will put it in. I also different motor for the mirror and hopefully it will work also.

Can you check the number of your seat module?

Tomorrow gonna be a big day :)
mine is 5q0 959 760b. I would first get the seat up and running and then work on the mirror, just my thoughts...

This link has some pics:

hey michel, I was lucky to find your forum post, I was bothering many car dealers to find an Audi A3 with memory seats for me - just to figure out it was never offered.

So i'm glad I don't have to buy a Bimmer to get a hatchback with memory seats, is it possible you could give us an update or detailed manual how I can achieve this as well?

Do you think the Gold VII would as well be suitable to donate those parts? What is needed?

thank you so much for any advice!

greetings Andy

Hi Andy,

First of all , sorry for my late reaction, I’m not so active anymore on the forum.

First, If you mean the golf 7 , I’m pretty sure it will work.

Second I think I covered the main path to this retrofit in this thread. The way I did it just takes some time but it really isn’t rocket science , haha .

But in another forum there also a thread about this . I will post a link