Memory Seats Retrofit - A5/S5 SPORTBACK

Dave is correct, no CP on the seat controllers and I believe also that mid line should be fine, I think I only needed high line for the side assist and even then it was for the warning lights within the doors, the exit assist, not the side assist itself

Reactions: strandgaard
Hi Dave
I got everything wired up today, but i am having trouble finding the correct coding.

I made these adaptations to 5F:
Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2:
LO] _driver_seat_0x10: [VN] _activated
[LO] _driver_seat_0x10_msg_bus: [VO] _CAB_4
Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2:
[LO] _menu_display_seat_configuration: [VN] _activated
[LO] _menu_display_seat_configuration_clamp_15_off: [VN] _not_activated
[LO] _menu_display_seat_configuration_over_threshold_high: [VN] _activated
[LO] _menu_display_seat_configuration_standstill: [VN] _not_activated
[LO] _menu_display_seat_configuration_after_disclaimer: [VN] _not_activated

The Driver's seat memory is present on MMI but only "Store setting on memory control key" present.

You mentioned the following coding:
Seat control unit drivers side 36

Byte 2 bit 0-1 This is MMI part (This should now make easy entry work) - this is not documented i my controller
Long coding p_button_memory This is to turn on switch. - Done- Byte 2 bit 1
Long coding p_button_location change to internal This activates memory part of switch. Done - Byte 7 bit 0. It was set to External
Long coding acoustic_feedback_if_stored This makes it Beep when you store each position. Done - Byte 1 bit 3

So everything should be right, but nothing happens when I press the buttons in the door

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Have you done the three finger reboot on the mmi

Yes - that brought up the drivers seat menu.
I suspect the wires going to pins 17 and 19 in the door controller may be crossed. I will check tomorrow.

I just pulled the doorcard again, and all wires are mounted correctly.

I'm really hoping that somebody can help.

What puzzles me the most is that "p_button_location" should be set to "internal" in the seat controller, as the memory switches are in fact mounted externally on the door controller, and the seat controller pulls the switch settings via CAN.

And it was indeed set to "external" when I mounted the controller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you get the red light on switch if you press any of the 3 buttons

No.

I am also following a thread on the german Motor-Talk forum, where a guy mentions that the seat controller will need CP unlocking, and that memory will not work before this has been carried out.
But I just can't see any component protection with my VCDS V2 cable.

Hi,

I managed to get it to work yesterday.
I needed to code the door controller to use memory mirror to make it work. And i don't even have memory mirrors....

So it works with mid-line door controllers and the memory controller don't have component protection.

Thanks for your help.

Anyone have the wiring schematic and pin outs for a set of B8 S5 Recaros? installing these in my 2010 VW CC and swapping wiring harnesses from my stock seats to allow the plugs to match up. Just looking to ensure I am wiring the pins correctly, especially for the heated seat component so i don't light my *** on fire :D

Or if someone wants to shoot me a 2010 (B8) S5 vin number in my Inbox, I can go to the Audi dealer and get a wiring layout from them direct. Thanks for your help.

Question for strandgaard as he fitted this on an A4, or maybe andyhud or DarkyUK know too..
I'm trying to install the controller underneath the seat but this appears to be incredibly tough for me. I started in the door and fitted the switch + wiring there with no issue, but the seat is proving to be tough. After over 30 minutes of fiddling I haven't been able to even fit the retainer bracket for the controller, and I do have an EKTA picture showing where it's supposed to go. Probably wrong bracket, I guess, but that's something I can overcome.

What I need some help with is installing the new cable loom underneath the seat. I've looked at every connector and only a single one actually mates to one of the connectors in my replacement loom. Do I need to disassemble much more of the seat to reveal further connectors? How much of the original loom should be removed? Did anyone who has already performed this retrofit take any pictures of it? I'd be much obliged!

Last edited:
Hi zzattack.
Sorry, but i can't help you with that question.
I swapped the entire seat to a seat with the correct wiring loom and memory controller already mounted.
If you are skilled in russian, here is a description of the operation, you are working on: https://www.drive2.ru/l/498699717648056630/

All I did was run extra 12V and ground wires and the Comfort CAN-Bus wires.

Thanks for that link, pictured look daunting.. but not too informative just yet, I can't decipher if he moved the padding over onto his original frame and replaced most of the loom, or if taking out all that padding isn't necessary in my case.Guess I'll take out the seats when I've got a full weekend to spend on it.

Ok, massive updates on my end. The aliexpress package indeed came with wrong wiring harnesses, so not too surprising that I couldn't make any sense of it. I got the correct parts from the stealers using the part numbers from the Russian blog that @stramdgaard linked. The wiring job itself wasn't even bad at all, took maybe 2 hours including taking the seats out and reinstalling.
With everything in place, coding was straight forward. At least for the driver side, that is. I repeated the same on the passenger side and coding was a tad more involved, but I got it to work eventually. Might be a first, I haven't come across passenger side memory seats in A4/A5 yet, but given that it's available for Q7 and the platform is mostly shared I figured it'd be a good challenge.

Even the easy-entry works at passenger side, but I have one question about this: if this is available in the A5, do you also have the MMI menu option to disable it (passenger side)? I can only get the menu item to appear for the driver side, which seems odd.

Can anyone confirm for me that you can essentially take any fully electric seat and make it a memory one with the right bits? Or does the memory seat have different motors in them with small modules on for the function to work !?

obviously there’s more to it but is that the black and white of it , making a standard full leccy seat into a memory one without needing to have an already memory seat Cradle and motors

Can anyone confirm for me that you can essentially take any fully electric seat and make it a memory one with the right bits? Or does the memory seat have different motors in them with small modules on for the function to work !?

obviously there’s more to it but is that the black and white of it , making a standard full leccy seat into a memory one without needing to have an already memory seat Cradle and motors
In a B9 car it needs a module underneath the seat which most coupes have to begin with (but not always). Electric seats in a sportback rarely have this module.

So the answer is yes but no as well. That is my understanding and as a result of research, as getting the retrofit done in a couple weeks.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

In a B9 car it needs a module underneath the seat which most coupes have to begin with (but not always). Electric seats in a sportback rarely have this module.

So the answer is yes but no as well. That is my understanding and as a result of research, as getting the retrofit done in a couple weeks.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Mine is an avant , but I’m reading conflicting info online wether the motors on the memory seats have sensors for positions or wether any leccy seats will work if you just swop over the seat harness and module,

Iv done the conversion but had to swop over skins from seats or believed I did to get them working as the motors differed , now I’m finding out MAYBE it’s just the harness and module to swop out and the motors will work from that alone

Literally just swop over the modules for a memory one !?
No, there won't be a module if there's no memory for the seats yet.

You need to fit the control module and replace the wiring in the seat. Module is about $150 (aliexpress, new, OEM) and wiring is about €100 (at the dealers). After that you need to connect the extended canbus to the memory seat controller, which is just 2 wires. Can be done in about 2-3 hours.

No, there won't be a module if there's no memory for the seats yet.

You need to fit the control module and replace the wiring in the seat. Module is about $150 (aliexpress, new, OEM) and wiring is about €100 (at the dealers). After that you need to connect the extended canbus to the memory seat controller, which is just 2 wires. Can be done in about 2-3 hours.

So full
Leccy seats don’t have a module? No black box under the seat

Hi All,

I thought it was worth while letting anyone thats interested know about retrofitting Memory seats into an A5/S5 Sportback.

Now the process for the Coupe's is pretty easy as they already have the seat memory controller, for us Sportback owners thats not the case as we do not need the entry to rear feature.

So to add Memory Seats to our cars is a bit more involved, but actually not that difficult.

Firstly you need to be confident about removing the car seat, not very difficult but you will need a M9 Spline bit for it, also I would suggest getting the connector for the airbag so you don't blow your head off, i'm sure others have done this without though.

If you are comfortable with that, running a couple of CAN wires from the back seat to under the seat, and making a little connector up to plug into the buttons you will install in the door you will be fine.

So, you will need.

2 new wiring looms for the drivers seat.
1 drivers seat memory controller. Don't get a Q7 G version like I did as thats for a 3rd row of seats, I made that mistake and while its funny I needed @Audidave69 to bail me out on that one! Thanks Dave
The mounting for the memory controller
Memory seat button and connector for it
Replacement trim for the drivers door, unless your good with a dremel like @Audidave69
Repair pins for the seat connector if you are doing it properly, a 2 pin connector if not.

The wiring in the seat is fine once the drivers seat is out of the car, removing the side trim with the controls in can be a pain, basically it have two spring clips in it, similar to the seat belt, which you need to press down. Most of the wiring is in the base of the seat, following the wiring from the red T17 connector and replace the plugs one by one. The second loom runs from the controller and the big black connector up the back, connects to the pneumatics and the motor on the left of the seat, if your remove the bar you can easily get to the connect through the padding.

The door trim and switch is fairly easy, the switch connects to the existing connector on the door controller so a couple of repair wires are needed. Be gentle with the trim as it has the light fibres on it and they can break quite easily.

For the coding I copied the coding from a reference scan for a S5 Sportback off of Ross-Tech's forum, always worth a look.

Anyway, a load of dribble but hope it helps someone, even if its just to give an awareness of whats involved. Memory seats are awesome though so well worth it!

Cheers, Andy
Suppose you don’t know if this would work with a b9 rs5 sportback?

Hi. If I have full electric seats, folding mirrors with memory etc. then all I need is few plugs and cables and coding, right? I haven't looked into Elsa yet if that's correct so I ask ;)

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

2018 A5 sport back I took my seats out and put the red S line massage seats in but can’t figure out how to get the massage function working any idea how to do this?

Hi Dave
I got everything wired up today, but i am having trouble finding the correct coding.

I made these adaptations to 5F:
Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2:
LO] _driver_seat_0x10: [VN] _activated
[LO] _driver_seat_0x10_msg_bus: [VO] _CAB_4
Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2:
[LO] _menu_display_seat_configuration: [VN] _activated
[LO] _menu_display_seat_configuration_clamp_15_off: [VN] _not_activated
[LO] _menu_display_seat_configuration_over_threshold_high: [VN] _activated
[LO] _menu_display_seat_configuration_standstill: [VN] _not_activated
[LO] _menu_display_seat_configuration_after_disclaimer: [VN] _not_activated

The Driver's seat memory is present on MMI but only "Store setting on memory control key" present.

You mentioned the following coding:
Seat control unit drivers side 36

Byte 2 bit 0-1 This is MMI part (This should now make easy entry work) - this is not documented i my controller
Long coding p_button_memory This is to turn on switch. - Done- Byte 2 bit 1
Long coding p_button_location change to internal This activates memory part of switch. Done - Byte 7 bit 0. It was set to External
Long coding acoustic_feedback_if_stored This makes it Beep when you store each position. Done - Byte 1 bit 3

So everything should be right, but nothing happens when I press the buttons in the door

Any ideas?
Hi mate I know it’s been a while since this thread, however I’m in the same position of yourself. I’ve recently put in new seats that have the memory controller on it already and wired up along with the door card buttons installed etc. Can I ask what needs wiring up in order to finish the job?
Cheers

My issue was caused by missing coding of the door module. You need to code it for memory mirrors.

Just getting ready to do this mod in my A4 B9.
I changed my seats to full leathers that have the seat memory controller in place for the drivers seat. The button is therefore in place in the doorcard, and I just need to wire it up to my door controller,
But just to have everything ready - will this work with a mid-line door controller ? (part number 8W0 959 593 F)
Hi, I'm in a similar boat as you

Recently swapped out my manual seats to full S4 super sport with massage function. I also swapped out my door cards which has the memory buttons present and wired up. I also discoverd my seat has the memory controller wired up undert the seat

At the moment the only thing that works is the electric movement and heated function. Im trying to get the massage and lumbar functions and memory to work. The seat module is not picked up by VCDS which leads me to believe ot needs extra wiring to get power and maybe CAN connetions?

If someone could help with where i should start i would appreciate it
@DarkyUK
@Audidave69

You need to wire the memory controller to the CAN Bus hi and low. I did it under the rear seat bench.

Thanks for the reply, do you know exactly which pins need wiring etc?
Yes I do.
But for your own sake, I would suggest that you buy one hour access to erwin.audi.com and download the complete wiring diagram, before you start fiddling with the Can-Bus system.