Memory Cards

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm getting my wife a new Canon Ixus 100 for Christmas, and need a SDHC memory card for it, probably 4 or 8 GB in size.

I've always thought of Sandisk as one of the best brands, apparently card quality can affect the speed of camera operation ...? So are there any other better makes I should be looking for?

Some cards are listed as class 4, and some as class 6 - what does that mean?

Last edited:
Class indicates the card's transfer rate/speed rating.

Class 2: 2 MByte/s - 13x
Class 4: 4 MByte/s - 26x
Class 6: 6 MByte/s - 40x

I can't recommend a good memory card for cameras since I use SDHC as alternative backup for my PC, but Transcend is one brand worth considering. They come with builtin (ECC) Error Correcting Code to detect and correct transfer errors and comes with life time warranty. Intergral is another good brand.

I have just got myself an 8gb Class 6 Kingston SDHC from mymemory.co.uk

So far so good.

James, One thing to bear in mind, you'll get thousands of pics on an 8gb card which can all disappear if the card corrupts!! A friend of mine who is a pro photographer will only use smaller cards (up to 1gb) so that he doesn't end up with all pics from a shoot on one card.....

go for a class 6 mate, this helps the speed of the camera as it can process the pic and write it to the card quicker so its ready sooner for the next shot...

as nilz said, mymemory are highly recommended, genuine cards at great prices and fast delivery, i won't use anyone else...

Thanks guys, I'm aware of mymemory but had never used them, so it's reassuring to know they are good.

Good point about card size too Mark, cheers.

What type of memory card are you after anyways? I have a brand new 4gb Sandisk Memory Micro Stick(M2) which was wrongly sent to me, but I opened it, so can't get a refund. Wanted a MicroSD which is different. :keule:

:sign_plug:

Anyone interested, send me a PM please. :)

Last edited:
I'm after an SDHC one Joe, but thanks anyway :thumbsup:

I've just ordered a 4GB Panasonic Class 10 card for £14.99 - thats big enough for my needs for the current time at least, and the best price was from mymemory.

Thanks for your help all :thumbsup:

What type of memory card are you after anyways? I have a brand new 4gb Sandisk Memory Micro Stick(M2) which was wrongly sent to me, but I opened it, so can't get a refund. Wanted a MicroSD which is different.

Did you buy that over the internet?

Panasonic 4GB Class 10 card delivered promptly from mymemory.co.uk.

Its lightning fast in my new Canon Ixus 100, with upload speeds to the PC being most impressive.

Thanks all :thumbsup:

If you want the most reliable memory card for you camera then Lexar is by far the most trusted brand amongst us photographers. Plenty of places sell them online for good value.