1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound or Scratch X

AllanG Nov 23, 2018

1. AllanG

AllanG Q5 TFSI

As I've had good results with other Meguiars products, which of the above would you recommend for removing the occasional light scratch by hand, using a micro pad applicator?

Or, are there any other products you'd recommend?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Buxton2901

Buxton2901 Well-Known Member

I would also be interested to hear others experiences with this product as I have have some light scratches I need to get rid of

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

4. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

l'll give my tuppence worth here, l have used Scratch X many many moons ago,it can be pretty severe even with medium pressure applied by hand ie it will remove the scratch but it will also dull your clear coat at the same time,so you'll then have to use another polish to bring back the clear coat,as for Ultimate compound l dont have any experience with it,but what l will say is fool proof,any one stage correction compound will remove any marks on the clear coat easily and with no risk,l've had 2 members PM me on here asking what should l use to remove
    1.Bird Poo Etchings
    2,Scratches on the clear coat
    they never had a machine polisher,they just bought some microfibre pads and removed their paint dilemmas with the same one stage compounds as ls used with the DA/Rotary
    Scholl S20 Black or the Sonax profiline perfect finish will give outstanding results by hand with no risk of dulling your clear coat as they have diminishing abrasive tech...ie they correct firstly..... the larger abrasive shaves the clear coat then its the smaller abrasive turn to refine the clear coat thats been shaved off to get rid of the scratches or marks

Stay away from The Halfords mentality guys,just because you dont fancy using a machine polisher does'nt mean you cant use the 1 stage compounds or polishes you can use with a machine

T-800 and Audib5fan like this.
  5. AllanG

AllanG Q5 TFSI

Thanks for the useful info, @jassyo06.........which would be your preferred product of the two, for hand application....Scholl or Sonax? Also, would you suggest circular motions when hand applying, rather than straight lines?

Audib5fan and Buxton2901 like this.
  6. jassyo06

jassyo06 Voodoo Man ! Gold Supporter Audi S3 Black Edition Porsche Voodoo Blue S3 Saloon

The Sonax perfect finish that's what l would recommend mate, it cuts faster and leaves a better gloss finish than the Scholl S20 and plus it's white in colour so it's easier to wash out yer microfibre pad than the Scholl which is dark grey in colour

Audib5fan likes this.
  7. AllanG

AllanG Q5 TFSI

Many thanks, jassyo06...... and the Sonax is cheaper :icon thumright:

Audib5fan likes this.
  8. jassyo06

Just buy the small 250ml bottle it'll last you a while mate

9. S32B

S32B Well-Known Member Audi A5 S tronic Coupe

Have to agree with jassy about the scratch x, I used it a few months back for a scratch on the boot of my white A5, yes the scratch x removed it, but I had to MP the area around it!

I've also used ultimate compound with great results and no damage! Out of the two I'd always use UC again, scratch x probably not, unless it was a deep deep scratch!

This is my S3 before and after I'd used UC and my DA:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Black is a full time job! White is soooo easy :)

Audib5fan, jassyo06 and Buxton2901 like this.
  10. AllanG

AllanG Q5 TFSI

Just bought this size from eBay @ £17.99 with free delivery :icon thumright:

Buxton2901 likes this.
  11. Buxton2901

Buxton2901 Well-Known Member

What application pads or clothes are you going to use?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. AllanG

AllanG Q5 TFSI

I'm going to try a microfibre pad, that was recommended on this forum, which I bought from eBay, but can't remember the manufacturer's name, or a Meguiars foam pad that I've also got. I'll use microfibres cloths for finishing.

14. jassyo06

Halfords sell them, 2 for £3/4 quid.... they will do the job

Buxton2901 and Audib5fan like this.
  15. Paulbean

Paulbean New Member Team Mythos Audi RS3 Saloon

I've just used some Megs Ultimate Compound to get rid of some fine scratches on the boot of mine. Applied it by hand with one of those small sponge applicators. Got to say it did a great job and was pretty easy to use. Finished with some Poorboys Black Hole then Nattys paste wax on top. No pics as it started raining straight afterwards. :sadlike: