Maybe looking at buying a machine pollisher...but where to start !

S3 Paul

Reaction score
As above realy
Im starting to see that some marks and problems just arent going to move by hand ,Also i have a few cars with tired dirty paint with marks.

The age old question... DA or Rotary?
Im a complete beginner to machine work as have always worked by hand,
I understand there is then the question of which pads? compounds? pollish...

I assume the products i have now that i use by hand are best kept for that...
But i do use dodo lime prime, auto glym hi deff wax and dodo super natural wax and ive seen these be used with a machine??

age old question this 1... Da is more forgiving for begining but can take longer on our hard audi paint. Get yourself back over to detailing world and read davekg's guides to polishing first. Question of pads and polish is an even subjective can of worms, personally i used das6 with yellow green and black hexlogic pads and range of menzerna polish which worked well for me but took time to correct whole car but i'm no pro. And don't throw the lime prime out it's great by machine:thumbsup:

As above realy
Im starting to see that some marks and problems just arent going to move by hand ,Also i have a few cars with tired dirty paint with marks.

The age old question... DA or Rotary?
Im a complete beginner to machine work as have always worked by hand,
I understand there is then the question of which pads? compounds? pollish...

I assume the products i have now that i use by hand are best kept for that...
But i do use dodo lime prime, auto glym hi deff wax and dodo super natural wax and ive seen these be used with a machine??

This has everything you need to correct Audi/VW/BMW/Merc paint:

PB DAS-6 Hard Paint Polishing Kit | PB Car Care & Detailing Products

The kit is discounted already but we've a further £25 off at the moment!

I always recommend a DA unless you're a pro user - the DA will take slightly longer but you should only be polishing your car once a year so it's not a big deal - it's much safer by DA, less risk of burning, strike through and less paint removal.

Don't apply waxes by hand and the Lime Prime is redundant after you've machine polished.

Feel free to email or call if you want to discuss or aren't sure of anything.

I've got that exact kit from Polished Bliss, and it's surprisingly easy to use if you follow a guide. I've tried using a rotary, and it was fine to use, but I've read a few horror stories about people swirling or scorching their paint.

You can get a glazing pad, which is useful for applying lsp with a rotary or da.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.
I looked on a couple of detailing forums and most said buy a rottary as a DA leaves vibration marks,
I know a DA takes a little longer to work but im not going to be doing cars on a production line so time isnt an issue,
Some of my car has been painted so im not sure the paint will be "hard"? A few people i know have the megs DA but havent used it enough to rate or slate, are they any good?
Regarding pads...Do they all fit the same? Does diffrent pads/ DA's need diffrent backing pads??
Sorry if this is basic stuff

I looked on a couple of detailing forums and most said buy a rottary as a DA leaves vibration marks

Utter nonsense! There is no such thing as 'vibration marks'. I can't even start to tell you how wrong that is!

The thing to really weigh up is the risk of damage: work a DA incorrectly and you won't do too much damage. Work a rotary wrongly and you could potentially be looking at respray time.

I know a DA takes a little longer to work but im not going to be doing cars on a production line so time isnt an issue,
Some of my car has been painted so im not sure the paint will be "hard"? A few people i know have the megs DA but havent used it enough to rate or slate, are they any good?

Resprayed cars are usually somewhere between intermediate and hard.

The Megs G220 DA is a great machine as we also sell it - there's not much between it and the DAS 6- the Megs machine comes with a case etc, the DAS 6 is cheaper and I linked you to it as it's on special offer!

Regarding pads...Do they all fit the same? Does diffrent pads/ DA's need diffrent backing pads??
Sorry if this is basic stuff

All pads will fit the same - our kit comes with 2x backing plates to suit the 2x sizes of pads.

Both the Meguiars G220 and DAS-6 are good machines and you can't go wrong with that full kit that is on sale at PB, although for me the Meguiars machine is the better of the two only because of the position of the on/off switch on the DAS machine, when I had a go with the DAS I kept turning it off by mistake because I was used to holding the Meguiars machine, plus the Meguiars machine has a nice rubbery non-slip coating on it ;)

Both the Meguiars G220 and DAS-6 are good machines and you can't go wrong with that full kit that is on sale at PB, although for me the Meguiars machine is the better of the two only because of the position of the on/off switch on the DAS machine, when I had a go with the DAS I kept turning it off by mistake because I was used to holding the Meguiars machine, plus the Meguiars machine has a nice rubbery non-slip coating on it ;)

New DAS 6 have a rubbery coating too!

DA for me. Had a UDM (which unfortunately died) and now have a DAS-6 pro, which is fine for my needs. Attended a course (DaveKG and Caledonia) and tried a rotary or two and to me they felt a bit more comfortable to use but they do go through paint rather quickly... or at least in my hands! I'll be sticking with a DA, very capable machines, just take a bit longer than a rotary but to me if you're not a pro charging people for your time with a long line of cars to do then it's a DA. And plenty of pracitce!