Matt carbon-fibre shifter paddles - fitment issue

PaulBCN

Reaction score
Around 6 months ago I bought a set of the matt carbon-fibre shifter paddles from somebody on here that had purchased them through the group buy but then had a change of plans. I finally decided that I had some spare time today and fitted them... I followed Billy's instructions here:

The only real difference being that I have the design pack so I have the alcantara flat-bottomed wheel which has different switch panels/trim and the whole steering wheel gloss black trim needs to be removed with the switch packs in it (rather than popping out the individual switch packs from the wheel structure as per the link above). But no real issues as the important part is the paddle switch packs screwed to the back of the wheel.

The problem was that when I fitted the into the wheel, I noticed that they didn't actuate properly, the paddles got stuck and could even be levered outwards past a click...

So I disassembled them again and compared the original paddles with the group buy ones... and there are noticeable differences. But I've checked all info in this forum and couldn't find anybody that had troubles fitting the group buy paddles, but as I'm guessing most people were in the UK, it's possible that nobody fitted them to the design pack steering wheel.

in the photo, you can see that the original paddles in mine have a small stopper at the top part where the small rubber spring presses against to return the paddle back. This is completely missing in the carbon paddles. Also the clips on the side wall (opposite wall to the hinge lugs) seem too small and don't allow it to really clip into place (hence being able to force them open when fitted).

So did anybody else notice this with the group buy paddles? Or is it likely just due to me having the design pack steering wheel? (although I would have still through that the paddle switch packs would be the same??)

IMG 0381

Reactions: Daggerit
Around 6 months ago I bought a set of the matt carbon-fibre shifter paddles from somebody on here that had purchased them through the group buy but then had a change of plans. I finally decided that I had some spare time today and fitted them... I followed Billy's instructions here:

The only real difference being that I have the design pack so I have the alcantara flat-bottomed wheel which has different switch panels/trim and the whole steering wheel gloss black trim needs to be removed with the switch packs in it (rather than popping out the individual switch packs from the wheel structure as per the link above). But no real issues as the important part is the paddle switch packs screwed to the back of the wheel.

The problem was that when I fitted the into the wheel, I noticed that they didn't actuate properly, the paddles got stuck and could even be levered outwards past a click...

So I disassembled them again and compared the original paddles with the group buy ones... and there are noticeable differences. But I've checked all info in this forum and couldn't find anybody that had troubles fitting the group buy paddles, but as I'm guessing most people were in the UK, it's possible that nobody fitted them to the design pack steering wheel.

in the photo, you can see that the original paddles in mine have a small stopper at the top part where the small rubber spring presses against to return the paddle back. This is completely missing in the carbon paddles. Also the clips on the side wall (opposite wall to the hinge lugs) seem too small and don't allow it to really clip into place (hence being able to force them open when fitted).

So did anybody else notice this with the group buy paddles? Or is it likely just due to me having the design pack steering wheel? (although I would have still through that the paddle switch packs would be the same??)

View attachment 260729

My main concern is the position of the hinge points and the actual extrusion that pushes the button and they look the same to my eye.

I had something similar, after a little use they worked fine. One was fine immediately and the other was sticky for a half dozen attempted shifts or so and then worked fine and has since. Not sure if it’s just a slight misalignment somewhere when installing or what it was, so I’d just keep at it, work it back and forth a few times and see how it goes. Preferably before fully refitting the steering wheel stuff to make sure it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PaulBCN
Yes, the hinge lugs and button lug all line up fine. It assembles fine and before mounting in the wheel, the paddle actuates smoothly and returns back but with a little less strength. This must be due to the rubber spring not making any contact and help to return it.

When mounted (I tested before refitting everything), there's clearly something wrong though and the paddle sticks in (I also clicked it around 20 times to see if it would free up as you later said and nothing).

I seem to remember somebody posting once some black anodised paddles for the 8Y and they definitely had extra lugs to make contact with the return spring but can't find them now from my mobile.

I haven't had any issues with them whatsoever from point of fitting.

I haven't had any issues with them whatsoever from point of fitting.

Nice.

So if you try pushing them forwards, do they click out at all? If they do, just click them back in.

I guess you didn't get any photos of the paddle switch pack inside when assembling them by any chance?