Matt’s Defender Build Thread.

MattSedg

ex S3 owner
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
The S3 went this morning!

Will avoid the soppy post but I really will miss the car, but as I have already said on another post somewhere on here, it just wasn't getting used and was pretty much pointless having, other than the odd trip to go and get food or take pictures etc.

So here is the replacement.....a mint Galway Green metallic Defender 90, collected from Northern Ireland behind the old mans workhorse.

Will be staying on the forum, hope I'm allowed to post the odd Defender pic in this thread?

Landy901

Reactions: countwilliam, V6_Man, Bristle Hound and 25 others
The S3 went this morning!

Will avoid the soppy post but I really will miss the car, but as I have already said on another post somewhere on here, it just wasn't getting used and was pretty much pointless having, other than the odd trip to go and get food or take pictures etc.

So here is the replacement.....a mint Galway Green metallic Defender 90, collected from Northern Ireland behind the old mans workhorse.

Will be staying on the forum, hope I'm allowed to post the odd Defender pic in this thread?

View attachment 167041
Drastic change from an S3 but I understand your reasoning and I have a soft spot for defenders too. Looks a nice car and green is the best colour for a defender :icon thumright:

Sometimes think about changing my S3 now that I only have a 3 mile commute to work, do you mind me asking how the depreciation was on your car? I’ve heard Audi are still struggling to get brand new S3’s into the country so trade in prices are better than normal at present.

Reactions: MattSedg
@MattSedg good luck with the new purchase was a pleasure meeting you at AITP last year.

I’ll be joining the ex S3 owners club next year but with somethng a little more sporty, well that’s the plan

Perhaps we should start up an ex s3\a3 owners thread ?

Reactions: BarryG79, MattSedg and Jassyo06
A Rocket that's what you are lol
But understand your reason mate
Enjoy yer new country bumpkin ride .. Looks in mint WW2 condition lol
As for my car l probably like it more now than l did when I picked it last year and its a year old next week, talking of something more sporty @Daveotto l'll be getting a M2 competition for the day in a week or so..... Looking forward to that

Reactions: Rideen, NevMan, BarryG79 and 7 others
@MattSedg off course you can stay around and yes pics are allowed. Enjoy the defender Matt. :) x

Reactions: Jcbmally and MattSedg
WOW! I am super jealous! had a 1983 series 2 defender years ago. Loved it so much. Always wanted to buy a newer shape/style defender exactly like yours. I get more excited about seeing a nice Defender than a Ferrari for some reason!

Enjoy the new car, sensible decision at the end of the day!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Can’t beat those classic defender looks, my girlfriend had one for a while, it was terrible to drive in every way but had a certain charm to it.

It wasn’t a minter like yours though, almost 200k on the clock, passenger door wouldn’t stay shut and finding a gear was almost impossible.

Reactions: MattSedg and Jassyo06
l'll be getting a M2 competition for the day in a week or so..... Looking forward to that

Nice, pictures or it did not happen. As an aside on freebies I got a day out at Wembley for Spurs v Liverpool a few weeks back courtesy of Audi Uk...great day out and I saw Spurs loose :)

I might try an M4 comp pack (currently car WOW offering 17% disocunt) when I get back from Oz at end November when I start the looking around but think it will take me a lot to shift from the Cayman S

Reactions: NevMan, S32B, MattSedg and 1 other person
Bittersweet day I’m sure @MattSedg . Sure looks like you’ve found yourself a mint ‘Fender there!

Hope you got a good price for your S3 mate, and looking forward to seeing your ‘Fender build thread on here soon :thumbs up:

Reactions: NevMan and MattSedg
Good luck with the new wheels Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: MattSedg, Flying Scotsman, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Matt, the dogs are going to love you even more with their new ride. I have a soft spot for Land Rovers as I learnt to drive on one at the age of 11 on a relative's farm, back in the 50's!!

Reactions: MattSedg and Audi Bairn
Sorry to see your S3 go @MattSedg but glad to hear you’ll be hanging around mate.
There’ll be no need for my route planning with that machine....... simply drive in straight lines across fields! lol
My Mrs has hankered after a Defender for a few years especially if it’s good wheels,like yours. Both yours and your dads are cracking examples.
Any time I’ve looked recently though the used prices are bonkers - any advice?
Anyway, would love to hear how it’s going, so keep in touch.

Reactions: oli356 and Flying Scotsman
Looks like new @MattSedg

Take it the S3 didn't take long to shift then?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Ironic a new model defender was spotted this week on road testing.

Reactions: NevMan and MattSedg
A proper 4x4 that will hopefully see some action.

I can't stand those hideous fashion accessories such as RR or Q7 etc!

Awesome I’ve wanted one of these for ****** years, if and when the S3 goes one of these is possibly on the cards.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and MattSedg
Very nice.
I had 90 for a while, bit of a money pit though.
yep, already spent a bit on some rear side-facing folding seats, seat belts, and seat covers!!

the vehicle itself should stay pretty sturdy price wise....its just all the mods and repairs ill have to do :readit:

@MattSedg good luck with the new purchase was a pleasure meeting you at AITP last year.

I’ll be joining the ex S3 owners club next year but with somethng a little more sporty, well that’s the plan

Perhaps we should start up an ex s3\a3 owners thread ?
was good meeting you to Dave, shame you weren't there this year. AITP is one of the things i'll probably miss the most about leaving the Audi! But plenty of Land Rover shows that are full weekend jobs!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Daveotto
A Rocket that's what you are lol
But understand your reason mate
Enjoy yer new country bumpkin ride .. Looks in mint WW2 condition lol
As for my car l probably like it more now than l did when I picked it last year and its a year old next week, talking of something more sporty @Daveotto l'll be getting a M2 competition for the day in a week or so..... Looking forward to that
WW2 condition :haha:

wait till you see this green metallic after i give it a once over with the polisher over xmas!

voodoo blue wrapped m2 comp, i can see it now

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and Jassyo06
Can’t beat those classic defender looks, my girlfriend had one for a while, it was terrible to drive in every way but had a certain charm to it.

It wasn’t a minter like yours though, almost 200k on the clock, passenger door wouldn’t stay shut and finding a gear was almost impossible.
find a gear like mixing a bowl of porridge!

Reactions: NevMan, TYb and Jassyo06
Good luck with the new wheels Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
thanks Rob, will need it! somethings gonna go bang before long haha

Reactions: NevMan and Rob2k68
Bittersweet day I’m sure @MattSedg . Sure looks like you’ve found yourself a mint ‘Fender there!

Hope you got a good price for your S3 mate, and looking forward to seeing your ‘Fender build thread on here soon :thumbs up:
got a few bits on the way already!

Reactions: NevMan
Matt, the dogs are going to love you even more with their new ride. I have a soft spot for Land Rovers as I learnt to drive on one at the age of 11 on a relative's farm, back in the 50's!!
the dogs have already approved, especially when i took out the dog guard!
learn to drive in one of them and i reckon you'd drive anything with ease

Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
Sorry to see your S3 go @MattSedg but glad to hear you’ll be hanging around mate.
There’ll be no need for my route planning with that machine....... simply drive in straight lines across fields! lol
My Mrs has hankered after a Defender for a few years especially if it’s good wheels,like yours. Both yours and your dads are cracking examples.
Any time I’ve looked recently though the used prices are bonkers - any advice?
Anyway, would love to hear how it’s going, so keep in touch.
diff lock, low box and plough on :tearsofjoy:

Defenders are crazy prices, a 65 plate with like 5k miles is as much as a brand new S3.....crackers man.
If you're after one I'd just say don't be put off by the age of one. If you find a well looked after one, it's going to have been looked after and lots of it replaced.
And if one does catch your eye, maybe just go for it because the nice ones get snapped up quick. This one we just got was on autotrader for 2 days before I rang, and 2 days after that we drove to cairnryan, took the ferry to belfast, picked it up and was back on the ferry that afternoon.....left home at 3am, back at 10pm :cower:

will definately keep in touch, family is on about a holiday to Skye in spring so will be racking your brains once again!

Reactions: Dunedin, Audi Bairn and Jimbob76
Looks like new @MattSedg

Take it the S3 didn't take long to shift then?
cheers Tom, looks well for a 2009! :yes:

only got 2 calls in the week and a half on autotrader, but to be fair my advert was naff, no interior pics.
luckily the 2nd caller was keen for it, had 3 missed calls in one afternoon from him

Reactions: NevMan and Tom.H
Ironic a new model defender was spotted this week on road testing.
aye and ruined the defender in my eyes, if it aint broke, dont fix it....or at least tweak it to meet regulations and all that

A proper 4x4 that will hopefully see some action.

I can't stand those hideous fashion accessories such as RR or Q7 etc!
just the odd gentle green lane, nothing to harsh for this defender...i've seen what rough lanes have done to my mates and its not happening to mine

Awesome I’ve wanted one of these for ****** years, if and when the S3 goes one of these is possibly on the cards.
yep, get one and we'll start our own little corner on the forum :salute:

Reactions: MikeParkin
find a gear like mixing a bowl of porridge!
100%

I always find myself looking at them, who knows when the s3 goes. Enjoy and post some pics of the mods.

Its a sensible choice and knowing you for the past two years at ATIP glad you've got something and the dogs can get in and out easily. Have fun with it Matt

@MattSedg off course you can stay around and yes pics are allowed. Enjoy the defender Matt. :) x
Thanks Sandra, any chance of a defender 90 and Galway green profile tag things :whistle2::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Sandra
Its a sensible choice and knowing you for the past two years at ATIP glad you've got something and the dogs can get in and out easily. Have fun with it Matt
Will miss going to AITP. There's a few full weekend land rover shows around Peterborough way, so I'll hope one is on the same AITP weekend and I can pop over for a natter.

It has no 'black' roofrails? :wtf:

What kind of engine do those defenders have? (I know nothing about defenders lol)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and MattSedg
Thanks Sandra, any chance of a defender 90 and Galway green profile tag things :whistle2::tearsofjoy:
Yes I will get organised and create them just for you Matt :);

Reactions: Audi Bairn, MikeParkin and MattSedg
It has no 'black' roofrails? :wtf:

What kind of engine do those defenders have? (I know nothing about defenders lol)
Eventually might have black roof bars as I wouldn't mind putting a roofbox on it if I ever go walking as far as Scotland.

Up to 07/08 it was the 2.5 Td5 engine. 07/08 Up to 2012 was the 2.4TDCI transit engine, then 2012 until end of production was 2.2TDCI transit engine.

Mine is 2.4 as I'm wanting to go down the route my dad did with full stainless exhaust, sounds nuts for a tranny engine.

Reactions: Jimbob76, TYb and oli356