Matt’s Defender Build Thread.

S3 has been gone a month now, and I haven't missed it one bit, guess that proves I never used it enough :wtf:

couple of small things I do miss from the S3
fuel consumption.....yep. I actually miss the mpg I got in the S3, or should I say the mpg I could achieve. Defenders like to drink :icon thumright:
B&O system, the sound system in a defender is horrible, but thats to be expected, and its to be upgraded in the future.

Reactions: NevMan, Jassyo06, Audi Bairn and 4 others
S3 has been gone a month now, and I haven't missed it one bit, guess that proves I never used it enough :wtf:

couple of small things I do miss from the S3
fuel consumption.....yep. I actually miss the mpg I got in the S3, or should I say the mpg I could achieve. Defenders like to drink :icon thumright:
B&O system, the sound system in a defender is horrible, but thats to be expected, and its to be upgraded in the future.

My girlfriends old one rarely got into the 20 mpgs. Lack of aerodynamics, weighed as much as a bus and the gear box was a mess. She still loved it though until she got her 7.5 t and then HGV license, then no more need for the trailer puller.

Reactions: NevMan and Audi Bairn
My girlfriends old one rarely got into the 20 mpgs. Lack of aerodynamics, weighed as much as a bus and the gear box was a mess. She still loved it though until she got her 7.5 t and then HGV license, then no more need for the trailer puller.
sounds like a 5 speed TD5? :tearsofjoy:
i drove my mates 2003 TD5 and it makes my gearbox feel brand new!!

she got rid of the landy?

Reactions: NevMan and Audi Bairn
sounds like a 5 speed TD5? :tearsofjoy:
i drove my mates 2003 TD5 and it makes my gearbox feel brand new!!

she got rid of the landy?

Yeh, her and her parents bought a horse lorry with living quarters etc as she events, which tends to be at least one night stop overs, that costs money just to sit still.

Her Landy was a mess, different doors and bonnet from original and had been used as a farm vehicle, she still loved it though and was good for pulling.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
so! picked the landy up yesterday from the garage getting the bits sprayed, they sprayed the new light surrounds and the raised grill surround, also sprayed up the whole front fascia/rectangle from edge to edge where the previous surround and grill had nipped the paint with the tightness, not a bad colour match considering they never blended the panels, not looking for absolute 100% perfection on this car, nice freedom.
they also fitted the decat downpipe which I will have to get a video clip of, much better sound, turbo spools better and hopefully a touch better mpg its claimed?

Def3

one little tweak i do want to do to this setup is spray the small struts over the intercooler like the pic below, thinking a dark bronze/gold colour, think bronze would be subtle but still noticeable and go well with the green.
Def4

and now just fitted these "dirt defenders" on all 4 corners, supposed to lessen the fling and spray the wheels give off, also looks pretty cool i say.

Def2
Def1

Reactions: jaco166, AudiNutta, V6_Man and 9 others
Really enjoying this thread @MattSedg keep the updates coming mate. I have no need for one, but I am kinda wanting one!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jcbmally, TYb and 4 others
also, slimline black aluminium roof rack has been shipped!

good to hear @josul , like a big boys mechano set! if you are realistic about defenders they are pretty crap as a car, but theres something about them.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Audi Bairn, Jcbmally and 2 others
Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jcbmally, josul and 2 others
@MattSedg can’t believe how many defenders I’ve seen on the roads since u got yours. Had always thought they were just for farmers before. But there is actually some really smart ones out there, yours included.

Just need an engine conversion now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS4B5, Audi Bairn, Jcbmally and 1 other person
@MattSedg can’t believe how many defenders I’ve seen on the roads since u got yours. Had always thought they were just for farmers before. But there is actually some really smart ones out there, yours included.

always buzzin when I get a wave off one, always a good laugh!
ahh cheers pal :friends:

150k for them 70th anniversary V8 things, and heres the best part, they are untouched stock that LR have, put them back in the factory and added the V8 and trans to, amongst other things.
if that isnt a money grab I dont know what is

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jcbmally, Tom.H and 2 others

£150k is just laughable for something that’s as aerodynamic as a brick

Reactions: Jcbmally and BarryG79
also, slimline black aluminium roof rack has been shipped!

good to hear @josul , like a big boys mechano set! if you are realistic about defenders they are pretty **** as a car, but theres something about them.
I do a bit of wild camping and canoeing so would be idea for that, its the only reason I have come up with to get one.... Although even with how much it hurts having to do things like the below to my pride and joy even I cant get the man maths to stack up to carry a canoe a couple of times a year!

IMAG0186 IMAG0187
Another trip in the same spot:
IMG 2955 IMG 2954

Since getting my S3 I have thankfully not had to use it to carry a canoe (yet). In September I got to drive my mates S5 with and without a canoe on the top, I could not bring myself to take a photo of it! Newcastle to Loch Maree, picking the canoes up in Inverness we achieved 34mpg which we thought was a good result.

Reactions: rvtb101, Audi Bairn, MattSedg and 2 others
I do a bit of wild camping and canoeing so would be idea for that, its the only reason I have come up with to get one.... Although even with how much it hurts having to do things like the below to my pride and joy even I cant get the man maths to stack up to carry a canoe a couple of times a year!

View attachment 169644 View attachment 169645
View attachment 169646 View attachment 169647

Since getting my S3 I have thankfully not had to use it to carry a canoe (yet). In September I got to drive my mates S5 with and without a canoe on the top, I could not bring myself to take a photo of it! Newcastle to Loch Maree, picking the canoes up in Inverness we achieved 34mpg which we thought was a good result.
Yeah your pride and joy is never an ideal thing to be slapping stuff on top of :tearsofjoy: but 34mpg does sound a very good result!!

Thankfully I'm being a bit more relaxed with the defender than the S3 so don't mind the idea....
Roof rack is going on tonight then just before spring I'll be toying with the idea of a roof tent and maybe a 270° awning to go out camping and walking further a field, highlands. And locally round the lake

Reactions: Audi Bairn and josul

View attachment 169644 View attachment 169645
View attachment 169646 View attachment 169647

Never wild camped myself yet, and I've been hiking at least every other weekend for just over a year now, so come spring I think it's time I start!!

Reactions: josul
Yeah your pride and joy is never an ideal thing to be slapping stuff on top of :tearsofjoy: but 34mpg does sound a very good result!!

Thankfully I'm being a bit more relaxed with the defender than the S3 so don't mind the idea....
Roof rack is going on tonight then just before spring I'll be toying with the idea of a roof tent and maybe a 270° awning to go out camping and walking further a field, highlands. And locally round the lake
I wouldn't mind with a roof rack, we get them blow up things from the canoe hire place.

Dude don't tell me things like that, I want one even more now!

Reactions: NevMan
so! picked the landy up yesterday from the garage getting the bits sprayed, they sprayed the new light surrounds and the raised grill surround, also sprayed up the whole front fascia/rectangle from edge to edge where the previous surround and grill had nipped the paint with the tightness, not a bad colour match considering they never blended the panels, not looking for absolute 100% perfection on this car, nice freedom.
they also fitted the decat downpipe which I will have to get a video clip of, much better sound, turbo spools better and hopefully a touch better mpg its claimed?

View attachment 169569

one little tweak i do want to do to this setup is spray the small struts over the intercooler like the pic below, thinking a dark bronze/gold colour, think bronze would be subtle but still noticeable and go well with the green.
View attachment 169579

and now just fitted these "dirt defenders" on all 4 corners, supposed to lessen the fling and spray the wheels give off, also looks pretty cool i say.

View attachment 169577 View attachment 169578
@MattSedg - Landy looking ace buddy :thumbs up:
Liking the mods

Never wild camped myself yet, and I've been hiking at least every other weekend for just over a year now, so come spring I think it's time I start!!
If you like your outdoors and hiking then you have just got to try it but I'll warn you now, it will be another expensive hobby!

Off to Google roof tents for S3s....

We need a latest pic of the whole beast

Reactions: MattSedg, NevMan, josul and 1 other person
We need a latest pic of the whole beast
tomorrow hopefully now the roof rack has just gone on! rain or shine in the lakes I'll be getting an updated pic

the rack got a bucket load of swear words thrown at it, 3 adjustable legs on each side, which all slide in rails so you can adjust it to be centered over the truck....such a nightmare!

Reactions: AudiNutta, BarryG79, NevMan and 2 others
tomorrow hopefully now the roof rack has just gone on! rain or shine in the lakes I'll be getting an updated pic

the rack got a bucket load of swear words thrown at it, 3 adjustable legs on each side, which all slide in rails so you can adjust it to be centered over the truck....such a nightmare!
Really can’t stop laughing at the bucket load of swear words, not heard that expression in a while. Look forward to the pic Matt :) x

Reactions: AudiNutta, MattSedg, BarryG79 and 1 other person
Really can’t stop laughing at the bucket load of swear words, not heard that expression in a while. Look forward to the pic Matt :) x
wasn't far off of a truck load!

Reactions: AudiNutta, Sandra and NevMan
#nicerack

Defender1

Reactions: jaco166, Audi Bairn, AudiNutta and 9 others
out and about in Great Langdale doing yes, more walks.
not me giving the fingers, would never consider being so vulgar :whistle2:

IMG 3228

Reactions: Audi Bairn, AudiNutta, V6_Man and 6 others
a 20,000 lumens light bar is on its way :help::busted cop::wtf:

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and JonnyS3
I ****** love this, what do you think of the Bowler style gearstick arrangements? Would love a 90Defender but they seem to be a lot of work to keep tidy, had one in the family and it used to suffer a bit with rust, rear crossmember being one area, and the fitment net the front window, this it was the primer not etching very well, are they an alloy?

This looks mint though, would love for the fishing kit.

Reactions: MattSedg and NevMan
I ****** love this, what do you think of the Bowler style gearstick arrangements? Would love a 90Defender but they seem to be a lot of work to keep tidy, had one in the family and it used to suffer a bit with rust, rear crossmember being one area, and the fitment net the front window, this it was the primer not etching very well, are they an alloy?

This looks mint though, would love for the fishing kit.
glad you enjoy mate!

you mean these gearsticks? if so i wouldnt even consider them myself, look massively out of place.
Gear-selectors.jpg

bowlers wheels on the other hand, may be a future option
18-black-wheel.png

aye its part of the defender game i guess, can end of spending a fortune, luckily the one i had my eye on was already in very good condition and had all the rust preventive measures done like zinc painting the underneath.

rear crossmembers will always rust, and eventually rot and need replacing, which isn't a major job from what i know, paint flaking is usually where two different types of metal panels are in contact, aluminium and some other metal, eventually causing paint to blister.

they are good "craic" to own and modify.

Reactions: Jcbmally
got a picture in mind which involves astrophotography, so i took the chance of a clear night to have a trial run! something new to me
Astro test

Reactions: Audi Bairn, BarryG79, AudiNutta and 10 others
Not bad :)

Reactions: MattSedg, Sandra and NevMan
A great pic Matt. A true starry night can only be caught miles away from any towns and cities. Your neck of the woods and the Highlands are great areas to view those nights. A bit of a pity as a lot of city folks have never seen those nights.
The best I have seen were in the high Artic of the North West Territories and also spectacular Northern Lights.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and MattSedg
Absolutely stunner of a photo mate, keep posting photos like this
That's the plan, this was a first attempt and it came out way better than I thought it would!!

Time off over Xmas so I've got some spots in mind to go to for pictures!

Reactions: Sandra and Jassyo06
A great pic Matt. A true starry night can only be caught miles away from any towns and cities. Your neck of the woods and the Highlands are great areas to view those nights. A bit of a pity as a lot of city folks have never seen those nights.
The best I have seen were in the high Artic of the North West Territories and also spectacular Northern Lights.
This is looking into the middle of the Yorkshire dales and it still seems to be picking up a bit of light pollution!
Would love to see the northern lights someday....might have to camp out at Shap! They say they can be seen there rarely.

Reactions: voorhees and Bristle Hound