Matrix Lights issue

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Does anybody else with matrix lights get trucks flashing them when they are on the full beam automatic setting? It's as if I'm blinding them. Obviously nothing I can do as the lights are automatic!

Usually you can defeat the auto function and do it manually. I have been dazzled quite badly a few times by cars with high power LED lights and probably high beam assist as well. Some systems don't seem very good at actually detecting on coming vechicles and dimming the lights. In some situations such as when the oncoming vechicle is travelling around a corner and is not directly pointing at the car the systems appear slow to respond.
I bet you get a similar issue expecially on dual carriageways or motorways with a centre reservation where the headlights light up a lot of the drivers side of the carriageway this is bound to dazzle other drivers.
In this You tube video you can see how late it seems to leave it before it dips the beam. Also the part of the video where another car is being followed around lanes the car in front is effectively being flashed every time a bend id taken as the lights don't respond quickly enough.

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/disable-auto-high-beam-assist-2907722/

I get flashed quite a lot, I think that even though the led's shining directly at the oncoming car are extinguished - the headlights are still extremely bright (try looking at just dipped beam from a 45 degree angle across the front of the car).
Think about all those HID bulb kits that were put into cars with headlights not designed for them. Although they don't shine directly into oncoming traffic any more than the original lights, looking at them coming towards you is uncomfortable.
Additionally, some of the matrix headlights high beam led's will still be lit as a car approaches in the opposite direction and I think it may appear that you haven't dipped your high beam.

Never been flashed at once, except the first time I used them and they were in the wrong setting.

Mine work brilliantly 95% of the time.

But I have noticed they sometimes struggle to identify buses and trucks. I think this is because they often have extra lights (double decker buses in particular seem to confuse it as there is a lot of light from the window on the top deck). I can only assume that it makes it harder to pick out the headlights from all the other light.

I just make sure I did manually for buses and large vehicles that I think it will struggle with. I do get flashed a lot though - usually when the car has been a fraction late to dip the beam.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Never been flashed at once, except the first time I used them and they were in the wrong setting.
+1 However I wonder if there are occassions where the led's are switching confuse oncoming drivers and make them think you've flashed them first..

Last edited:
Been flashed a few times. The worst case was a range rover coming the other way on a bumpy country road. I could see the matrix light cut his car out, but he continued to flash to the point where he then left his high beam on at me..

It is annoying the only way to turn it off is to turn lights off and on completely (not ideal on a country road) and then leave them dipped.

Sounds like a terrible option then, because without it at least you have some control. Probably the issue is whilst the light isnt hitting them directly, it still is a very bright light source when very dark.

I would have thought that turning the main headlamp switch from 'auto' to 'dipped headlamps' and back to auto again quickly would turn off the main beam assist.

Ok I tried it this evening, this works to turn off auto high beam: when on auto put them to full beam by pushing the indicator lever fowards then pull it back to dipped beam...

+1 However I wonder if there are occassions where the led's are switching confuse oncoming drivers and make them think you've flashed them first..

Get this a lot in the misses Mondeo, the LED's are on auto and the other car is in sight when the main bean dips. I can imagine that's how it looks from the other car

I can because I have had it many times in the years I have been driving from other drivers who don't dip there lights quick enough when I am coming towards them. In all the forums I have been a member of, including the mk5 mondeo, with these headlamps, this seems to be the only one complaining of this. I am sure over the years these lights have been in production they've been throroughly tested...

Last edited:
Also, you can only turn the auto function off if it's active (blue icon). If you're in a lit area where it's in auto but off (white icon) no amount of pulling or pushing the stalk will turn it off back to dipped only

I can because I have had it many times in the years I have been driving from other drivers who don't dip there lights quick enough when I am coming towards them. In all the forums I have been a member of, including the mk5 mondeo, with these headlamps, this seems to be the only one complaining of this. I am sure over the years these lights have been in production they've been throroughly tested...

In my given example, its more the perception of the other drivers than an actual problem.

In my given example, its more the perception of the other drivers than an actual problem.
Well it is a problem if the other driver is being affected by the lights enough to flash you. I didn't go fir this option for this very reason.

Yes but why are they flashing, because it hasn't been a problem since now and it's not like this is new technology...

You can't say for certain why they are flashing you without stopping and asking them, but the only reason I can think is that they are being dazzled by your lights and think you have main beam on.

Or for some other reason, these headlamps are not only tested by audi but also by many other safety organisations as well and I am sure the first thing they'd look at is if the led's would be able to dazzle oncoming cars. They have also been around since 2013 so you'd think the internet would be buzzing about it, unless of course a man in a pub knows more than they do ;-)

Given people are flashing due to the headlights' dazzle, I'd suggest they aren't doing their job in all situations.

Who goes on the internet and says "had to flash my lights at some car again today, left their main beam on. No idea what it was, hard to tell in the dark?".

Reactions: Kestrel
I can attest to all this.. my matrix lights come on many times whilst I'm on big dual carriageways even when there is decent lighting about.

I find that it does a very good job of not flashing directly at the rear windows of the car's in front but you do see the corridors of light dazzling all the areas around the vehicles but not at them directly, hence they probably just get nervous and think ur flashing..
Another thing I noticed was when u floor it and the matrix lights are on it automatically goes full beam?? Has anyone else had that? A few times on big dual carriageways where it's not too hazardous to give it the beans I find that cars that are very far in front will all be hitting their brakes when they see me coming from a distance.. annoying cause I slow down way before I even reach them, don't wanna cause folks any distress.. lol‎

I remember reading an article about the matrix lights on the a8 4.2tdi when the tech was first released.. one comment said if your overtaking slower traffic at speed, other road users will be at the mercy of the lights, so maybe it's normal to light up when u floor it.

They do work well as I can seem them dimming you before the other vehicle approaches so I know there arent being dazzled. I now think it's because the lights still illumate full beam that the other drivers are expecting to be dazzled at any minute so therefore flash me. In reality they don't get dazzled and it's only me that does!
I have never had another car flash me, only trucks.

Reactions: h1r4 and cuke2u
I drive mainly on twisty country roads. I get flashed a lot. This is because normally I would watch for the lights of the other cars coming round the corner and dip mine just as they appear (or a fraction before), the other drivers do the same. With the Matrix lights they wait until the car has appeared around the corner, and then it dips the beam. It's only a second or two later than doing it manually, but the other driver probably thinks "he must have seen me coming why hasn't he dipped them yet?" - they will usually then flash their lights in that one to two second window. It happens most nights for me.

On straighter roads they work perfectly. And I still wouldn't be without them now!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

They do work well as I can seem them dimming you before the other vehicle approaches so I know there aren't being dazzled. I now think it's because the lights still illuminate full beam that the other drivers are expecting to be dazzled at any minute so therefore flash me..
Which is the gist of what I am trying to say, if they weren't doing their job properly at all times, as they've been around since 2013, the internet would be alive. However it isn't, not even the Mk5 Mondeo forum over at Talk ford which I have been a member of since before the car was officially released in the UK. Of course in the USA these headlamps are banned at the moment, however the ban is expected to be lifted next year. This wasn't for the reasons that some are citing here but because in 1968 the U.S. instituted a regulation that required all vehicle headlights to be capable of switching from
high to low-beam, a distinction eliminated by the self-adjusting Audi lights.
Personally I believe these headlamps actually contribute to road safety and reduces the instances of other drivers being dazzled because it doesn't rely upon the human element as much.

It's not particularly difficult to spot oncoming headlights approaching and turning them off, though?

You'd think but humans will be unpredictable and, surprisingly, not perfect. The number of drivers that can't dip their lights just on the stretch of road that I drive that has no street lamps it is quite common. That and lights not working or misaligned...

Reactions: basegreen
It's not particularly difficult to do a lot of things but the Human race is full of numpties who constantly fail and forget to do the most simplest things from time to time.