Matrix Lights Info

AdamInKent

Reaction score
Hi all.

I stumbled upon this tech manual for matrix lights and thought it might be of interest.

It’s for the A8, but I think most functions are common to those in the A3 apart from the Marker Light? I suspect the A3 has fewer main beam LEDs too. (There are 25 per main beam in the A8: does anyone know how many for the A3?)

I also came across this recent thread in the A6 forum with a 15 minute dual carriageway night drive video.

The A6 is fitted with standard matrix lights, so I guess this is similar to how they work in the A3? I don’t think the driver was flashed once for dazzling, on a busy road. And it’s cool to see the left side of the beam just dimming a bit for road signs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom17591 and pburv
Hey Adam, Ive heard the a3 has 15, not 100% sure though.

Also not sure if you've seen but I also did a driving demo video at night, totally agree it's awesome that it works automatically.

Reactions: AdamInKent and pburv
Hey Adam, Ive heard the a3 has 15, not 100% sure though.

Also not sure if you've seen but I also did a driving demo video at night, totally agree it's awesome that it works automatically.

I have yet to see an oncoming 8Y in the dark but every morning regular as clockwork a Volvo S60 comes towards me on a bendy stretch of road and I notice the effect of Matrix lights.. Very clever tech.:yes:

Reactions: AdamInKent
I have yet to see an oncoming 8Y in the dark but every morning regular as clockwork a Volvo S60 comes towards me on a bendy stretch of road and I notice the effect of Matrix lights.. Very clever tech.:yes:

What do you as the oncoming car see? Does it just appear as though the matrix lights are dipped?

I don’t know for certain, but suspect I might have had a car with so,Ensor of matrix lights behind me at a distance, recently. The effect, as we both followed bends in the road, seemed to be that his lights were occasionally, momentarily dazzzling me from behind. But they might just have been auto-dipping lights?

Reactions: josul and pburv
What do you as the oncoming car see? Does it just appear as though the matrix lights are dipped?

I don’t know for certain, but suspect I might have had a car with so,Ensor of matrix lights behind me at a distance, recently. The effect, as we both followed bends in the road, seemed to be that his lights were occasionally, momentarily dazzzling me from behind. But they might just have been auto-dipping lights?
No dazzling at all from the Volvo. I should imagine it would be the same with the 8y? What I do notice is the light beams changing in brightness . If that makes sense:blink:

Reactions: AdamInKent
What do you as the oncoming car see?

Ef0cfd618bf97c6a3ae6774145dddee9

Reactions: Jassyo06, pburv and Ludus
The Matrix lights do annoy oncoming drivers....l even noticed that at times they've a mind all of their own by this l mean they activate when they shouldn't
The layout of the modules in the 8y are included in one module next to the dipped/main beam module ie identical
8v are a of different design
https://www.google.com/search?clien...gBAKABAcgBCMABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#

https://www.google.com/search?clien...gBAKABAcgBCMABAQ&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp#

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv
If I was putting together a build it would be something I would spec. I never had matrix led's on any of my cars but I did have Adaptive Xenons on one of my Leon's back in 2010. At the time I thought they were awesome. Technology has moved on since then.

Reactions: JohnM100, Jassyo06 and AdamInKent
After a year or two you may get flashed by oncoming drivers every now and again. A gentle wipe of the camera lens in the rear view mirror mount with a clean glasses cleaning cloth and I haven’t been flashed since. The inside of windscreens need cleaning every now and then - I guess it’s the same dirt build up on the lens as on the windscreen.

Agree with @bpurv that adaptive Xenons were excellent and I loved the way they turned into the corners but headlight technology has advanced hugely in the last 10 years.

If I was putting together a build it would be something I would spec. I never had matrix led's on any of my cars but I did have Adaptive Xenons on one of my Leon's back in 2010. At the time I thought they were awesome. Technology has moved on since then.
They have become quite common on newer models from a lot of marquees in the last 2 years and are now cheaper when l optioned them on my order almost 4 years ago they where a £1000 on an S3 and a very rare option still don't see many 8v's with them fitted l think Audi first fitted them to their final Facelifted last gen R8 not this generation, the latest Matrix headlights now includes laser beam high beam modules as does BMW and now they have have the fancy HD matrix on one their e-tron models .....

They have become quite common on newer models from a lot of marquees in the last 2 years and are now cheaper when l optioned them on my order almost 4 years ago they where a £1000 on an S3 and a very rare option still don't see many 8v's with them fitted l think Audi first fitted them to their final Facelifted last gen R8 not this generation, the latest Matrix headlights now includes laser beam high beam modules as does BMW and now they have have the fancy HD matrix on one their e-tron models .....

That's the way it goes mate.
Without checking previous posts 'an all that' are they going to be on your TTS?

Reactions: JohnM100
That's the way it goes mate.
Without checking previous posts 'an all that' are they going to be on your TTS?
Yup they are standard fit wouldn't have a car without them speaking of lights my matrix oled rear tail lights where supposed to be delivered by UPS yesterday then delivery time window expired waited an half an hour getting through to them then another 15 minutes waiting on the chap to find out were they where....to be told they had been held up at customs due to brexit so it'll be next week now, delays are very very common right now due to Brexit

Reactions: pburv and AdamInKent
Yup they are standard fit wouldn't have a car without them speaking of lights my matrix oled rear tail lights where supposed to be delivered by UPS yesterday then delivery time window expired waited an half an hour getting through to them then another 15 minutes waiting on the chap to find out were they where....to be told they had been held up at customs due to brexit so it'll be next week now, delays are very very common right now due to Brexit

Yeah. I wasn't sure whether they were standard. Like you have said before there isn't much more extras you can spec on a Vorsprung edition.:thumbs up:
When your Oled's arrive you are going to have to set them up in your bedroom and have them flashing with your sound system:rockwoot: lol

Reactions: Jassyo06
Have Matrix LEDs on my new 8Y and I love them. They're unbelievably bright. I'm used to bright lights as our business horsebox has 4 roof spots and lights elsewhere, but the Matrix LEDs on the 8Y are probably brighter I reckon. Haven't noticed them activating when they shouldn't and have only been flashed twice at night so far in the month I've had it. I drive quite a lot at night at the moment.

Reactions: Jon Roach, AdamInKent and pburv
No dazzling at all from the Volvo. I should imagine it would be the same with the 8y? What I do notice is the light beams changing in brightness . If that makes sense:blink:

I’m pretty sure I had a new A3 with matrix lights behind me earlier this evening (I noticed the DRLs). My impression was that it was lighting up the road on either side of my car (so must have had the lights on full beam) whilst appearing to be running on dipped lights as far as I could see in my mirrors. No dazzling at all.

That was the second new A3 I’d seen in a day!

I’m pretty sure I had a new A3 with matrix lights behind me earlier this evening (I noticed the DRLs). My impression was that it was lighting up the road on either side of my car (so must have had the lights on full beam) whilst appearing to be running on dipped beams as far as I could see in my mirrors. No dazzling at all.

I’m pretty sure I had a new A3 with matrix lights behind me earlier this evening (I noticed the DRLs). My impression was that it was lighting up the road on either side of my car (so must have had the lights on full beam) whilst appearing to be running on dipped lights as far as I could see in my mirrors. No dazzling at all.

Reactions: Sparks43 and pburv

Yep that's pretty much how it works, and only turns off the drivers lights that could blind another driver if came towards you but not all of them and not not the other side - Quite impressive when you first turn them on in a dark lane as the lights open up like theatre curtains.

The only thing I don't like is that you have to switch them onto Auto each time or when you get in the car i.e doesn't leave them on Auto when the ignition is recycled - My pool car which is a Seat Leon has the automatic main beam which stays on Auto all the time and I think the bigger Audi's do on their Matrix's as well but the New A3/S3 (can't vouch for the 8V) doesn't - Strange really - Just goes back to normal Auto headlights

Reactions: AdamInKent, pburv and JohnM100
Yep that's pretty much how it works, and only turns off the drivers lights that could blind another driver if came towards you but not all of them and not not the other side - Quite impressive when you first turn them on in a dark lane as the lights open up like theatre curtains.

Very true. Love the theatre curtains.