Matrix LED no longer an option on A4

drykoke

Reaction score
Would like to order new A4 but Matrix LED now only available on very expensive Vorsprung model.
Really impressed by videos of clever beam shaping and shadowing of Matrix LED.

Seems a strange decision by Audi, because Matrix LED are standard on higher ranges of Skoda Superb, and an option on all the Passats.
I would definitely prefer an A4 rather than Superb or Passat.
Does anyone here feel that the standard LED on A4 offers more than good enough performance on dark country roads?

I think the standard LED lights with the now standard High Beam Assist is great on dark country roads, and don’t find me regretting upgrading to something like Matrix LED.

I had a 2018MY A5 Sportback S-Line with LEDs and loved them. Upgraded to a 2020MY A5 Sportback S-Line with Matrix LEDs as standard and it is wonderful..

However, I have also taken delivery of a 2021MY A4 Avant S-Line with LEDs and with high beam assist. My verdict? LEDs are fine, high beam assist is invaluable and matrix, lovely but not a necssity

Reactions: Migwire
The loss of matrix headlamps isn't a new thing though, I think that happened with the slightly facelifted version, prior to the current.
Interesting what you say about the LED's though HMG1K and worth bearing in mind...

I have found I cannot get half the options I have on my black edition anymore unless as you say go for the vorsprung that you have to pay a heavy price for. Spoke to dealer supposedly it is to do with co2 and the car being heavy with more and more options being added!!! At the moment thing I will keep what I have

We had a long debate about the reduction in options a couple of years ago, I think. It is a trend it seems allegedly because of car manufacturers being forced to test emissions for every option.

Reactions: JRF
The lack of Matrix lights on the B9.5 A4 Black Edition was one of the main reasons I went for the A6 C8 Black Edition instead - on which they are standard. I had a Matrix lights on a 2018 A4 Black Edition and found them to be superb on pitch black country lanes. Given that the 2020 A4 Avant Black Edition and the 2020 A6 Avant Black Edition were roughly the same price (£36k) at the time, it was a bit of a no brainer going for the latter.

Yet matrix is an option for the A3:
Screenshot 20201214 133016 Chrome

The loss of matrix headlamps isn't a new thing though, I think that happened with the slightly facelifted version, prior to the current.
Interesting what you say about the LED's though HMG1K and worth bearing in mind...

Yeah, Matrix LEDs is certainly worth it (not financially) but if it was a toss up between matrix LEDs and High Beam assist - I would choose High Beam Assist. It's on my B9.5 A4 and A5 S-Line models.

Seperately, I also LOVE the gutter lights you can switch on on the button above the rear fog light switch. Extra lights which are great in rain, dark lanes, etc, as they throw additional lights into the street gutters. Both standard on the B9 and B9.5 A$ and A5 S-Line variants.

Reactions: cuke2u
I seem to recall that on the earlier versions of the B9 that matrix headlamps were part of a pack but I would need to dig out my old brochure...

Found it, part 9f the light and vision pack as it included, from my poor memory, the matrix headlamps, extended interior led's and the virtual cockpit. At £975 I think that was good value money...

I find the standard LEDs with high beam assist very good on dark country roads - a clear difference with the xenons on my old Passat, which were good on their own.

Saying that, my wife gets her new Tiguan delivered this week, and the top trim 'Elegance' has VW's IQ Light system as standard - full matrix LED lights, cornering lights, etc

I'll see what they are like in comparison on Wednesday night :)

Screenshot 2020 12 14 at 213740

Matrix tech have a much broader light coverage than standard leds with HBA add in the cascading front indicators makes them a little more unique
I live in a semi rural area so the matrix headlights come into their own 4/5 months of the year besides they far more common now on all VAG brands and a lot cheaper than 3/4 years ago

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuke2u and psychopomp1
I seem to recall that on the earlier versions of the B9 that matrix headlamps were part of a pack but I would need to dig out my old brochure...
They were also available as a standalone upgrade on the B9 sline and black editions. I know this because I remember I paid around £500 to upgrade to Matrix lights on my 2018 A4 Black Edition.

Matrix tech have a much broader light coverage than standard leds with HBA add in the cascading front indicators makes them a little more unique
I live in a semi rural area so the matrix headlights come into their own 4/5 months of the year besides they far more common now on all VAG brands and a lot cheaper than 3/4 years ago

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
I read somewhere that the Matrix lights on the A4 B9 are capable of producing 32 million different light patterns. That’s impressive!! Also unlike BMWs and Mercedes’ implementation, Audi/VAGs Matrix lights use the on board software to control the light pattern.

Reactions: Mkay315
They were also available as a standalone upgrade on the B9 sline and black editions. I know this because I remember I paid around £500 to upgrade to Matrix lights on my 2018 A4 Black Edition.
That's correct, they removed the light and vision pack around that time and forced buyers to purchase them all separately...

Reactions: psychopomp1

Just been pricing up a Passat and it is £1700 option for IQ Matrix!
Craziness... whereas the Matrix lights are already included on many variants of Skoda Superb.

I will look for a used A4 with Light and Vision Pack instead, thank you cuke2u.

Reactions: cuke2u