Matrix Headlights Question

Reaction score
I recently noticed that in pitch black unlit roads, my high beams don't come on automatically like they did on my BMW which had something called High Beam Assist.

My car includes the matrix headlights so I thought it does this by default but it doesn't seem to work how I'm expecting it.

How do I enable this feature?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

In my experience they don't work that way. You have to put the full beam first, to activate it. The assist part is when it dims the headlights when it detects headlights/tail lights.

I've managed to figure it out! All I needed to do is to push the indicator stalk forward. Doing this leaves the dipped headlights on and will activate the full beam when it's completely dark. This is indicated by an icon that appears at the bottom of the dash. This is how it used to be on my BMWs and is a very useful feature when driving on unlit roads.

HBA on the BMW and matrix on the audi activate the same way… but HBA is either on or off…. Matrix cut off the beam… like magic!

What i havent worked out however is once i activate my matrix (or auto) how do i disable them… when the icon is blue i can push forward to turn them off… but when they are white it cant be deactivated?

HBA on the BMW and matrix on the audi activate the same way… but HBA is either on or off…. Matrix cut off the beam… like magic!

What i havent worked out however is once i activate my matrix (or auto) how do i disable them… when the icon is blue i can push forward to turn them off… but when they are white it cant be deactivated?
Not sure but how about if you turn the light switch from 'auto' to 'on'. Haven't got a B9 but it works on a B8 with auto main beam.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Not sure but how about if you turn the light switch from 'auto' to 'on'. Haven't got a B9 but it works on a B8 with auto main beam.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
That works, as does turning the off and then back to auto… however it means your lights (including the rear) will flash off and then back on - as auto is to the left, then off and then on!

These lights are a bit strange! Was driving down a completely unlit road earlier on and the HBA didn’t activate once!

Other times it has come on and does it’s magic. It definitely works because I’ve seen it do it’s thing when other cars are around and I’m on an unlit road. Weird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These lights are a bit strange! Was driving down a completely unlit road earlier on and the HBA didn’t activate once!

Other times it has come on and does it’s magic. It definitely works because I’ve seen it do it’s thing when other cars are around and I’m on an unlit road. Weird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure I’ve read somewhere they are linked to the GPS in the sat nav system and disable high beam assist when in (what the GPS thinks is) a 30mph zone. You'll should see the auto light go from blue to white, and then back to blue again on leaving the 30mph zone.

if you got the laser matrix leds then the “lasers” don’t come on until your doing 70kmh - they do make a noticeable difference though

I think you're correct! The unlit road I was on, I was doing 20mph max hence why they may not have switched on.

I tested it on a faster road last night and it worked as I expected. On mine, enabling HBA brings up a white icon. When the HBA kicks in, it temporarily turns blue when the full beams come on and then back to white as it sees cars approaching. It's really cool to watch it at work and create random black boxes on the road! My BMW xenons had the adaptive headlights with HBA which was also really cool but on the S5, it's a lot more noticeable.

Sure I’ve read somewhere they are linked to the GPS in the sat nav system and disable high beam assist when in (what the GPS thinks is) a 30mph zone. You'll should see the auto light go from blue to white, and then back to blue again on leaving the 30mph zone.

if you got the laser matrix leds then the “lasers” don’t come on until your doing 70kmh - they do make a noticeable difference though
Thats odd - as my matrix do the highbeam thing even on dark roads that are 30mph - as show on the speed limit display.