Matrix Headlights blinking with on coming traffic

AHarris

Reaction score
Hi
I picked up a new S3 in the summer with Matrix LED Headlights (the second Audi I've owned with Matrix LED headlights) and soon noticed an issue where segments were unexpectedly dipping when on coming cars went past. It can be quite distracting on busy roads and I often end up turning them off because of it.

Despite everyone in the dealer agreeing that the segments shouldn't be doing it, there is no fault reported and Audi are claiming they are working to spec. Trying to see how prolific this behaviour is and if anyone has any clips of matrix working as expected would be really helpful please.

A small clip of the behaviour can be seen here (hoping links work) - https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av5fHjfeNSN_hcZ_89KhM8QX1vqqqQ?e=A3uLOY

Any words of wisdom from here would be much appreciated.

Clip is pretty short but having watched it several times it looks like the wrong side is dipping when an oncoming car approaches.

Ive had matrix on 4 Audis and they have all turned leds off an on again when a car has been on the other side of the road but on the right rather than what appears to be on the left in the video.

Reactions: NHN
Clip is pretty short but having watched it several times it looks like the wrong side is dipping when an oncoming car approaches.

Ive had matrix on 4 Audis and they have all turned leds off an on again when a car has been on the other side of the road but on the right rather than what appears to be on the left in the video.
Hi, I'm certain the right hand side is also dipped as expected as I never get flashed by the oncoming vehicles and they don't look dazzled, it just odd that the headlight on the other side dips as well.

Interestingly the same effect but mirrored happens when overtaking a car, essentially car passes by on the left hand side (the left hand headlight work as expected) but the segment on the right hand side will blink off and on again. This doesn't appear to happen when I am overtaken though so when a car comes past on the right hand side, the left headlight stays up.

It's all rather odd. If you have a video of your headlights working and not blinking with oncoming traffic it would be useful for me to send to Audi please.

Hi

i don’t have any vids of the lights working but will see If I cane get one next time I’m out with someone in the car with me.

Mine definitely don’t blink and when they dip on and then on again for oncoming traffic the transition is very smooth.

if you have the My Audi app there is a demo of the matrix led technology in the tab that shows your account details. It’s called lighting technology demo and shows which beams are on in different traffic situations

hope that helps

Yeah I'd agree it's dipping the left side when it shouldn't imho, could be a coding issue or an update needed to make it work better.